Answered

iTunes download - poor quality audio playback

• 30 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

A strange one - perhaps?

I bought a used CD from Ebay recently - but when downloaded on iTunes and transferred to Sonos system the audio playback was poor quality.

So I cleaned the disc with Isopropyl alcohol and tried again - same poor sound.

I then acquired a second copy of the same CD from a different seller and repeated the download etc. - same result.

The chances of both discs being iffy must be slim I would have thought ?

When played on my “boom box” retreived from a cupboard the album reproduction was fine.

Any thoughts ?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 30 April 2023, 23:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge +2

I tried different import settings - same poor quality.

Then found a CD that wasn’t in my iTunes library - it ripped no problem and the audio quality via Sonos is fine.

Logical conclusion is that both copies of the other disc in question are faulty - will return for replacement.

Thanks all for help, appreciated.

Badge +2

OK, thanks - I’ll try that in the morning.

128 kbps is pretty low.  Standard iTunes lossy is double that.  Lossless is 10 times that. Try AAC at 256 or 384.

Badge +2

Yes, audio on the laptop is also sub standard.

Used the AAC Encoder, 128 kbps for import on iTunes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What if you play the CD on your computer? Does it sound as bad then? What setting did you use ripping the CD?

Badge +2

Yes John B.

Please can you explain what you mean by "downloaded on iTunes and transferred to Sonos system" means?

Does it mean "ripped to a lossless CD-quality file and added to my Sonos Music Library "?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Surely iTunes music (as opposed to Apple Music) isn’t CD quality?