Answered

issues connecting speakers to App

• 13 November 2023
  • 5 replies

I have 4 Sonos Play speakers, fibre Wi-Fi with a network extender. I repeated lose connection to the speakers and often lose a speaker from the app altogether. I can always resolve the issue by following rectification process described but it is extremely frustrating because it is frequently happening. Is there something I can do to eliminate or at least reduce the occurrences of these issues?

icon

Best answer by ratty 13 November 2023, 17:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Is there a pattern to the dropouts?  Such as the controller device is always connected to the extender when dropouts occur?  Is the extender configured as an access point or a router?  Is the SSID/password the same for the extender as the router, and are they both on the same channel?

It’s BT hub with a disc Wi-Fi extender so as I understand it the SSID and channel are the same as they are set on the router. It is supposed to be seamless and seems to be so for all other devices.

And forgot to say, very often it just comes back of its own accord when it feels like it. Like it did just now!

Try connecting one speaker to the main BT Hub via Ethernet.  Wait a few minutes and see if the system stabilizes. 

I have (or had, since they’re now in a cupboard) BT Whole Home WiFi discs. They are a true mesh, but I found they wouldn’t forward the controller’s discovery packets between bands. So if for example the speaker was attached to the 5GHz band and the mobile on the 2.4GHz band the speaker would go missing.

Wiring one speaker as suggested should fix things.