Is the Sonos Controller app ever going to IMPROVE?

• 13 October 2023
  • 4 replies

*sigh* This app is more trouble than it’s worth.  It’s search feature only allows you to search by specific group like “by song or by artist” and will not search cross category.  Why not just search for anything that matches what I’ve typed in?  This makes it hard to find playlists and indy artists on streaming platforms.  The Sonos related ads that pop up have no way to close without closing the app altogether.  “Add To Calendar” was the only option on an ad wanting me to participate in a Sonos shopping event.  I love my Sonos sound system but dread dealing with this app, so much so I would invest in another product if the controller app was more user-friendly.  There’s no Lock Screen controls either so adjusting the volume requires you to open the app, wait for it to connect and THEN you can adjust the volume or change the track.  There is also a DELAY when doing this as the app has to reconnect to your network each time, so it takes a few seconds for you to control your music.  Each time I use this app I am always thinking if the developers have actually used it themselves.  

Any one else just LOVE LOVE LOVE the Sonos Controller app?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Search results on streaming platforms are the responsibility of the streaming platform.  

You can turn off ads - https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/disable-promotional-emails-and-in-app-messages-from-sonos

Lock screen controls were taken away by Apple, they have a rule about 3rd party hardware control and they closed the hack Sonos was using to get around that rule.  Complain to Apple about their draconian rules.

There should not be a significant delay connecting.  I would submit a diagnostic after the delay, and post the number here so Sonos can troubleshoot.

I experience the same issues.  Thanks for mentioning the ads can be turned off - will look at that.  I will be submitting a diagnostic for delays I see constantly too. 

The lock screen controls were taken away on Android too, so it’s not just Apple.  But my Samsung music app can show controls on the Android lock screen, so why can’t Sonos do it?

Because Samsung’s player is on the device itself, where Sonos’ player is on the speakers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Because Samsung’s player is on the device itself, where Sonos’ player is on the speakers?

Samsung’s music app generates audio, so can use the volume control.

The Sonos app generates no audio, so cannot. (Its a remote control).