Skip to main content

iPhone Battery Drain After Latest Update

Delighted to get my system back working after the latest update(s), however …

It’s eating my iPhone battery.  87% over 13hrs background activity today and I’ve not even played any music.  This is not right, surely.

@press250

On iOS, since going to Settings / Sonos / Mobile Data and turning it off, I’ve not had the battery drain. Currently at 7% from 48 mins screen time, 9 hours background… 

Don’t know if this helps your ongoing testing/theories or not. 

TBH, that was not on my bingo card, @Rhonny. It could certainly explain things, tho’ many people report high battery drain overnight … and while at home your phone is strictly connected to Wi-Fi. In any case, curiouser and curiouser!

(I’ve written this elsewhere too, as double threads…)

Just to mention, those are findings from like-for-like days, when I am mostly at home. So it feels like the app is seeking a mobile/cellular connection even when on WiFi.

(I have Background Refresh off in iOS/Settings/Sonos, as you know, but made little difference. Also Bluetooth off there too - inconclusive difference; and now Mobile/eCellular] Data off which is the one that seems to have had the impact in reducing drain… Focus group of one!)

Just found that my Sonos app uses my mic 100% of the time in the background, so something is definately alive constantly. I found out as my Apple CarPlay wouldnt give my voice directions in maps, which happens when an app is using the microphone. Sure enough - Sonos is constantly alive in the background doing something that is also using my mic. I am not a tin foil hat kindda guy, but I really dont want any app to constantly be using my mic for any purpose other than waiting for me to say “hey Siri”...

There is a new SONOS APP UPDATE just gone live - for iOS it’s version 80.05.05 (not sure if there is an update for Android as the release notes are yet to go live).

iOS App Store says:

• Improves stability when adding new products
  • Addresses excess battery usage.

I noticed the battery drain issue a couple of weeks ago (iPhone 13 mini), and prior to reading the many helpful comments above, believed that I had resolved it by turning off Background App Refresh and Bluetooth within the App, as battery usage had returned to normal.  That was until 48 hours ago - after I updated the App.

Battery is now being drained again due to background activity within the Sonos App.  Background App refresh and Bluetooth are still toggled off within the App after the update, and mobile data was toggled off within iPhone Settings for Sonos (even though I hadn’t previously turned it off myself?). 

Even though updating the App just 48 hours ago, and checking again today for further updates, (it says the App is up to date) - the Sonos App is saying I am on version 80.05.04 (20240717). 

I am currently on iOS 17.5.1, but have noticed that 17.6.1 is now available to me, so will update tonight and then see if a further Sonos App update to 80.05.05 then becomes available to me, and if that resolves the problem. 

If not, I just hope that going through the faf of having to ‘Quit’ the App every time after use will at least temporarily resolve the battery consumption problem - unless anyone else can suggest something further? 

Perhaps Mr Spence should be arrested and brought to court for blatant Net Zero offences! 

Thanks again for the helpful information above - knowing that you are not alone always helps!

I noticed the battery drain issue a couple of weeks ago (iPhone 13 mini), and prior to reading the many helpful comments above, believed that I had resolved it by turning off Background App Refresh and Bluetooth within the App, as battery usage had returned to normal.  That was until 48 hours ago - after I updated the App.

Battery is now being drained again due to background activity within the Sonos App.  Background App refresh and Bluetooth are still toggled off within the App after the update, and mobile data was toggled off within iPhone Settings for Sonos (even though I hadn’t previously turned it off myself?). 

Even though updating the App just 48 hours ago, and checking again today for further updates, (it says the App is up to date) - the Sonos App is saying I am on version 80.05.04 (20240717). 

I am currently on iOS 17.5.1, but have noticed that 17.6.1 is now available to me, so will update tonight and then see if a further Sonos App update to 80.05.05 then becomes available to me, and if that resolves the problem. 

If not, I just hope that going through the faf of having to ‘Quit’ the App every time after use will at least temporarily resolve the battery consumption problem - unless anyone else can suggest something further? 

Perhaps Mr Spence should be arrested and brought to court for blatant Net Zero offences! 

Thanks again for the helpful information above - knowing that you are not alone always helps!

The latest app update for iOS is 80.06.03

Thanks @ploppy.

Will update my iOS software tonight, and see if I can update to Sonos 80.60.03 tomorrow.