Answered

In or Out: Sonos Windows Music Library Sharing (SonosLibraryService)?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Years back Sonos introduced “their own” Windows Music Library Sharing (disambiguation: the SonosLibraryService) as part of the Windows Desktop client. I believe this was rolled out shortly after S2 arrived, at the time when many of us were highlighting the awkward reliance on SMBv1. SonosLibraryService creates a Sonos-only HTTP (or is it HTTPS?) share, tho’ don’t quote me on that. In any case, this solution works easy-peasy.

So amongst the breaking “thou shall not use SMBv1 or HTTP!” brouhaha, the QUESTION is “IN or OUT” for SonosLibraryService on a forward going basis?

And if the answer is “IN”—which would be copacetic from my perspective—how will SonosLibraryService be installed/updated given that the Windows Desktop Client is being taken out and shot?

icon

Best answer by controlav 5 May 2024, 14:57

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Additional color: I’ve not seen the dreaded “SMBv1 HTTP library warning” popup, nor have I received an email warning from Sonos. While I’d like to think that is a good sign, I’m hardly taking the silence as any kind of positive affirmation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

SonosLibraryService is going away with the death of the Desktop controllers, per a thread on this forum.

Messaging is not entirely clear, but it appears we will have to use SMBv2/3 file shares again. I’m fine with this, but file share setup can be challenging for some.

(I also have not received a popup or email about this.)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Yup, I ran the gauntlet (for the first time in ages) and setup an SMBv2 share on my Windows machine. I can post all the steps if peeps would find that helpful. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

BONUS reason to switch from the SonosLibraryService to SMBv2: album art loads >much< faster.