Skip to main content
Question

I can't play a radio station via MyTuner Radio anymore via the updated app

Hi,
I can't play a radio station via MyTuner Radio anymore via the updated app. This worked all fine untill the app update (of last week). Even BBC Radio 2 can’t be played. 
If I use the app on my Windows computer it all works fine. 

The only error message I get is: Something went wrong

Please help!

Thanks, Marc

PS: I have tried all the usual stuff (un and re-install the app, remove and add myTuner Radio as a service)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

92 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Still no communication or resolution to the international radio issue from this useless company. I am now about a week away from ordering my replacement system for all of my Sonos gear. A customer and advocate since 2009, I feel sad having to part company with Sonos. I suspect I won’t be alone and there is so much good competition out there now unlike in 2009, most of whom do not treat their customers with distain. 

Still no communication or resolution to the international radio issue from this useless company. I am now about a week away from ordering my replacement system for all of my Sonos gear. A customer and advocate since 2009, I feel sad having to part company with Sonos. I suspect I won’t be alone and there is so much good competition out there now unlike in 2009, most of whom do not treat their customers with distain. 

Which station are you trying to play?  (and all the competitor systems can have issues with radio station streaming - most are hugely less flexible than Sonos) 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Which station are you trying to play?  (and all the competitor systems can have issues with radio station streaming - most are hugely less flexible than Sonos) 

Sorry my friend but you are wrong. Any radio station out of the UK where I am based will no longer work and as that’s the primary purpose of my system, which is now less than useless to me. I have found another manufacturer which I’ve been testing and the system works as it should with full access to radio internationally using Airable. It’s a common misconception that Sonos ecosystem is the most flexible. That may have been the case 5 years ago and even 3 weeks ago before Sonos broke it completely. My eyes have been opened 

Sorry my friend but you are wrong. Any radio station out of the UK where I am based will no longer work and as that’s the primary purpose of my system, which is now less than useless to me. I have found another manufacturer which I’ve been testing and the system works as it should with full access to radio internationally using Airable. It’s a common misconception that Sonos ecosystem is the most flexible. That may have been the case 5 years ago and even 3 weeks ago before Sonos broke it completely. My eyes have been opened 

I'd like to know which system is using Airable - can you let me know (maybe via pm). Cheers. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Maybe sonos wants to kick out other services. Sonos radio still works. So you will have  to use theirs and of course pay a monthly fee for it

I like using Sonos to listen my fav radios while working from home. Please sort out this issue asap

For comparison with the Sonos music services list, here's what Airable offers (much less) :

https://www.airablenow.com/b2b/services/#close

Userlevel 2

Like everyone else here I, too, am very frustrated with my Sonos system!  For my wife and I the primary purpose of the system was to listen to internet radio stations (primarily from the USA) and its multi-room capability.  I bought my original system back in 2008 and originally it worked fine. Since then I’ve added my CD player, record player and TV to the inputs and some extra speakers.

However, over the years (especially recently) the system has become more and more unreliable and frustrating to use:

1. the original CR100 controllers got ‘bricked’ by Sonos - I now use an old iPhone 6 and the S1 app, but this is not very stable;
  2. Tunein stopped working, but I managed to find most of my stations via MyTuner radio and manual url’s for others;
  3. since 4G and 5G radio the system has become far more unstable. I’ve hard-wired parts of the system but cannot do it to everything without ripping up floors, etc. so have to suffer  frequent drop-outs and ‘Unable to connect to Sonos product’ messages. In my case it’s not helped by proximity to a large electricity sub-station and power lines.
  4. Mytuner radio stopped working a couple of weeks ago so we can no longer listen to our favourite radio stations (I’ll have to see if I can find them manually).
  5. the final straw came this morning when I nearly threw the entire system out of the window! Unable to listen to a favourite station I tried Sonos Radio.  What a joke. Aside from the usual ‘Unable to connect’ message each time I tried to select a different track/album/genre (whatever), when I tried to ‘skip’ to the next track it told me I could not do it as it limits the number of times per hour skip can be used - and this was the very first time I had tried to skip a track!

Come on Sonos, stop messing with the system and upsetting your (mainly loyal) customers.  Like many others, I am now seriously looking for an alternative.  Perhaps it’s time to go back to the old fashioned method of a record player, amp and hard-wired speakers.

Like everyone else here I, too, am very frustrated with my Sonos system!  For my wife and I the primary purpose of the system was to listen to internet radio stations (primarily from the USA) and its multi-room capability.  I bought my original system back in 2008 and originally it worked fine. Since then I’ve added my CD player, record player and TV to the inputs and some extra speakers.

However, over the years (especially recently) the system has become more and more unreliable and frustrating to use:

1. the original CR100 controllers got ‘bricked’ by Sonos - I now use an old iPhone 6 and the S1 app, but this is not very stable;
  2. Tunein stopped working, but I managed to find most of my stations via MyTuner radio and manual url’s for others;
  3. since 4G and 5G radio the system has become far more unstable. I’ve hard-wired parts of the system but cannot do it to everything without ripping up floors, etc. so have to suffer  frequent drop-outs and ‘Unable to connect to Sonos product’ messages. In my case it’s not helped by proximity to a large electricity sub-station and power lines.
  4. Mytuner radio stopped working a couple of weeks ago so we can no longer listen to our favourite radio stations (I’ll have to see if I can find them manually).
  5. the final straw came this morning when I nearly threw the entire system out of the window! Unable to listen to a favourite station I tried Sonos Radio.  What a joke. Aside from the usual ‘Unable to connect’ message each time I tried to select a different track/album/genre (whatever), when I tried to ‘skip’ to the next track it told me I could not do it as it limits the number of times per hour skip can be used - and this was the very first time I had tried to skip a track!

Come on Sonos, stop messing with the system and upsetting your (mainly loyal) customers.  Like many others, I am now seriously looking for an alternative.  Perhaps it’s time to go back to the old fashioned method of a record player, amp and hard-wired speakers.

Well, your last suggestion opens up 3 new cans of worms - good luck trying to create a coherent system unless you buy an all-in-one system.

My only comment is that unless you can establish a stable home network then you're likely to run into similar issues whatever alternative you decide on.   Have a look here:

Userlevel 1

I’m buying a Bose tomorrow. Every update is negative to use and is detrimental to the enjoyment of music. I specifically use Sonos to listen to radio from around the world . My tunner and tune in don’t work. Bye 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi,
I can't play a radio station via MyTuner Radio anymore via the updated app. This worked all fine untill the app update (of last week). Even BBC Radio 2 can’t be played. 
If I use the app on my Windows computer it all works fine. 

The only error message I get is: Something went wrong

Please help!

Thanks, Marc

PS: I have tried all the usual stuff (un and re-install the app, remove and add myTuner Radio as a service)

That’s exactly what I have - though it doesn’t work through Windows either. Having had a long chat with customer services tonight they tell me it is a myTuner issue and tech are working on it but there’s no ETA on when it might be resolved. I’ve found BBC Sounds ok (though I wouldn’t want Radio 2!) and Spotify but the stations I like - I like! trying to find if they have a different streamer. Found vTuner but not sure if I’ll be able to add it. 

Essex Girl. 

So a month on and still the silence from Sonos is deafening. It's beyond disgraceful. Radio was the main reason I bought my Sonos. I shouldn't have to run it via my desktop computer. The idea was to simply switch on the Sonos, find a good station and listen around the house. Has anyone contacted MyTuner directly? Can you even do that?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos really sucks!!!!!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

So a month on and still the silence from Sonos is deafening. It's beyond disgraceful. Radio was the main reason I bought my Sonos. I shouldn't have to run it via my desktop computer. The idea was to simply switch on the Sonos, find a good station and listen around the house. Has anyone contacted MyTuner directly? Can you even do that?

Yes, you can contact MyTuner from their web site - not sure what effect it will have but if enough people do it, perhaps it might have an effect. I’ve sent them a message, no reply as yet.

Essex Girl. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I sent a message to mytuner some time ago about the disappearance of radio stations but have had no reply - I’m not expecting to get one now so I’m assuming that the stations are no longer available

Userlevel 2
Badge

I sent a message to mytuner some time ago about the disappearance of radio stations but have had no reply - I’m not expecting to get one now so I’m assuming that the stations are no longer available

Yes they are, I've checked their app/webs to see if the use other streaming services, but sadly not. They also have their own apps, but of little use if you can't play them through the Sonos speaker. A computer/tablet just ain't the same.

Essex Girl 

I belive my tuner radio issue in uk is happening due licensing issue. You should all thank for this to your fantastic British government, Sony Music and Warner Music that providing radio station links to users in the UK, that are either unlicensed or licensed overseas, constitutes copyright infringement.

According to the Court of Appeal: “In summary the main judgment decided that the Defendant (a US technology company or in case of my tuner Portugal which operates an on-line platform providing a service enabling users to access radio stations around the world) had infringed the Claimants’ copyright in sound recordings of music when that music was played through the Defendant’s system (website and apps) from internet radio stations”.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I belive my tuner radio issue in uk is happening due licensing issue. You should all thank for this to your fantastic British government, Sony Music and Warner Music that providing radio station links to users in the UK, that are either unlicensed or licensed overseas, constitutes copyright infringement.

According to the Court of Appeal: “In summary the main judgment decided that the Defendant (a US technology company or in case of my tuner Portugal which operates an on-line platform providing a service enabling users to access radio stations around the world) had infringed the Claimants’ copyright in sound recordings of music when that music was played through the Defendant’s system (website and apps) from internet radio stations”.

I don’t think that is the case. Sonos have advised me that it is a technical issue and they are working to resolve it. MyTuner doesn’t allow international stations based in the UK to join it by reason of the licencing issues, but that shouldn’t prevent us listening to overseas stations listed on MyTuner, and certainly, I’ve not seen that as an issue raised elsewhere. That probably explains why BBC is no longer available through MyTuner, but BBC Sounds. 

Essex Girl.

Badge

So no fix after 20 or so days. Wtf Sonos. 

Luckily I have Android and rolled back

Is this still working to access the non-local radio stations by any chance?  

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Tunein new works ok, need to create a free account

One of the options to solve the problem might be cheap Echo Dot 2nd gen (£10 on eBay) connected with 3.5mm jack. Alexa have access to myTuner radio. This is what I did. It works.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Using the TuneIn manual URL method, I’ve managed to get most of my international stations back.

It’s quite a laborious process, but it works. My Sonos system is now back to being fit-for-purpose. Of course, my favourites screen is now missing all the nice artwork, but I suppose that’s a minor point…

I’ve added an asterisk to the beginning of each custom station so it’s grouped all the manually-added ones to the top of the list. 

Thanks to everyone on here giving this advice - I would never have found this workaround otherwise.

I too can't listen to European Stations using MyTuner in the new Sonos app

If I open the my tuner website directly the stations I listen to work via the website (but they don't play through the sonos speakers, obviously)

Done the usual stuff - reinstall, reregistered but nothing.

I noticed Sonos have been "looking into it" for over a month 

By now they must know why it doesn't work - if it is license issues just let us know or suggest an alternative that will work.

Any chance of a new update on the issue please? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In another thread on here, someone has heard back from MyTuner that it is indeed a licensing issue suddenly preventing UK listeners accessing non-UK stations.

The TuneIn workaround works great:

1. Find stream URL (I use http://fmstream.org)
  2. On TuneIn app, paste stream address into ‘Custom URL’ in library
  3. Add stream to TuneIn favourites by clicking heart icon
  4. Go to ‘TuneIn (new)’ in Sonos app, add stream to Sonos favourites
  5. On Sonos desktop app, change stream name to station name

It’s not ideal (no cover art) and is a bit time-consuming, but it works!