Skip to main content
Question

How to fix "unable to connect/connection lost" error when trying to stream podcasts on S1

• 12 August 2024
  • 5 replies

I saw some posts that relate to this problem, but no solution.  I have an older Sonos system and use the S1 controller.  I used to be able to stream podcasts through iHeartRadio and TuneIn Radio music services, but recently I started getting an “unable to connect/connection lost” error.  I can still stream music through those services, but not podcasts.  I also tried adding the Pocketcasts service, but that didn’t work, either.  Is there a solution?  Also, casting from those apps directly to my Play 5 speaker is not an option - for some reason the speaker isn’t recognized on the network.  Can anyone help??

Can you give an example of a podcast that used to work from TuneIn but no longer does?

Sounds like you are using Airplay to “cast” - old Play:5s don’t support Airplay.

What country are you located in? Users in the UK enjoy restrictions on what they can stream these days.

Thanks you for your reply!  To be clear, I no longer can play ANY podcasts.  To provide just one example, I previously listened to “The James Brown Mystery,” but now when I tried to play it, I get a pop-up error message (“Unable to play -- connection was lost”).  This occurs when trying to stream from the S1 controller on my Android phone using both TuneIn and iHeartRadio music services.  And while I can listen to podcasts on both the TuneIn and iHeartRadio Android apps, I cannot cast directly from those apps to my Sonos speakers using the “cast” icon, as I once could (the TuneIn app, for example, tries to locate the speakers on my wifi network but can’t find them).  I don’t have an iPhone so am not using Airplay.  I am in the United States.

I can repro your problem on TuneIn (Classic) with The James Brown Mystery (S1 app on PC, USA) though other random podcasts I tried seemed ok.

I did try the same steps on the S2 app (with New TuneIn) and it played fine.

I then debugged both versions in my app and the TuneIn id and  the stream data for both versions were identical. I therefore conclude that something about the actual stream is incompatible with S1 - usually this is a certificate or codec issue, but I do not have the tools to debug at that level.

Thanks anyway.  I suspect that this is yet another way in which Sonos is trying to phase out S1 systems so that users will upgrade, but that plan won’t work - S1 users (like most Sonos customers these days) are NOT happy with Sonos right now.  Sonos is basically doing everything in its power to turn once-loyal customers against the company.  I just don’t get it.

Thanks anyway.  I suspect that this is yet another way in which Sonos is trying to phase out S1 systems so that users will upgrade, but that plan won’t work - S1 users (like most Sonos customers these days) are NOT happy with Sonos right now.

Please, leave your paranoia at the door. This is simply an example of a change that S1 can’t handle.

S1 users have been laughing their asses off at many S2 users these past few months I am sure. The S1 happiness factor is high IMHO.