Skip to main content
Answered

How do I change the time zone of my Sonos system?

My Sonos system is showing the time in GMT when I check on my desktop app so the alarms are all incorrect as I am based in Australia.  I can’t find any way of correcting this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

I think (having not checked) that you do so by logging in to your account at www.sonos.com, and setting it there. 

Badge

Thank you for trying to help but I can’t find anywhere in the online account to change the time zone. My address is correctly shown. There must be some way to change the time but I can’t find it anywhere. 

Badge +20

Correctly shows but there have been anomalies, delete your address and add it back again. I think the country drop down list was altered at some point and now requires refreshing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Time zone settings worked in the old 16.1 mobile app but were courageously thrown away by Sonos kids in the new May 2024 app, along with multiple other things which these jolly jesters deemed “unnecessary”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You can change Sonos’s timezone to Australia via the UPnP call

AlarmClock.SetTimeZone(3, False)

on any of your speakers (or pass True for AutoDST).

You can do this via Intel’s UPnP Spy tool, or any other UPnP/automation tool that allows function calls.

It is only used for display/input: Sonos stores alarms in UTC. The timezone setting wont effect when the alarm runs, just how it is shown to the user.

I still don’t quite understand why Sonos even has its own idea of timezone and doesn’t just simply use the TZ of the user running the app. (This is what my Windows app does for Alarms, you could use that to edit your alarms in your local TZ).

Badge

Thanks to https://en.community.sonos.com/members/controlav-35210 pointing me in the correct direction I have achieved success. I used UPnP Mate on my iPad and under actions for one my speakers I passed various numbers in the set time zone field. The numbers seem to be sequential in a look up list starting from GMT-12 moving east. Thus 3 was Alaska and I got to 67 before I was in Sydney! I did some big jumps once I got the idea. Anyway, my time zone is now set correctly and I can set alarms in local time rather than GMT. 

Badge

Pardon me. What is UPnP Mate?

Badge

Manage to download UPnP Mate for iPhone. When I click into my Beam Gen 2 > Alarm > SetTimeZone, there is no options to key in numbers. Attached is the screenshot on my phone.

Badge

I used it on the iPad and it looks different. If you have an iPad I’d try that.

Badge

IPad version is still the same. I not sure if I have missed out anything. I am an IT noob 😅

Badge

I like to update that u manage to use another Mac OS app - UPnP Tool - to input index for Singapore (58).

now Sonos app in Mac showed correct time and tested the alarm set to local time. It works.

Hi Lads,

Could you give us more detailed information on how to update the time zone field (eg software to be used, menu, command etc...)? I’m on a Windows system.

UpnP Mate does not seem to allow to modify anything.

Thanks by advance!

Badge

I don’t have a Windows computer to try but https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/upnp-tool/id1602961500 works on iOS. It will discover your Sonos players. Select 1,then Alarmclock under services, then Set Time Zone pass a number under index. Use your alarm section on your Windows Sonos App to see which Time Zone that put you and narrow to the correct one. Some clues are in the posts above. 

It’s more difficult to describe than do!!

It worked!

You the man, thanks mate!

The update of today finally added timezone settings and even sommer/winter time adjustment. So it finally works without any workaround needed anymore. :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

The update of today finally added timezone settings and even sommer/winter time adjustment. So it finally works without any workaround needed anymore. :)

I have updated to the latest iOS app and there are no updates available for my system - Version: 16.2 (build 79154060). But I can’t find the timezone setting anywhere. Any advice? I’m currently an hour out.

You don’t see it in Settings>Manage>Date and Time?

Do you see alarms in Settings>Manage?

First step I would delete then reinstall the app. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

You don’t see it in Settings>Manage>Date and Time?

Do you see alarms in Settings>Manage?

First step I would delete then reinstall the app. 

Nowhere - I looked everywhere yesterday. I’ll try delete and reinstall the app.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Tried deleting and reinstalling the app and still no date and time setting options..

Do you see alarms?

Are you running pihole or other ad blocking/privacy dns or similar?

If you ping cdn.optimizely.com do you get a response?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Do you see alarms?

Are you running pihole or other ad blocking/privacy dns or similar?

If you ping cdn.optimizely.com do you get a response?

Alarms working but I do have pihole. I have added cdn.optimizely.com to the Whitelist and now working!

Thank you very much for your help!

Awesome glad it’s working for you. Another one to add to your whitelist for Sonos compatibility is logx.optimizely.com

Userlevel 2
Badge

Awesome glad it’s working for you. Another one to add to your whitelist for Sonos compatibility is logx.optimizely.com

Thanks. The only one I had was the metrics one. I’ll add that.