Skip to main content

Many users are reporting extremely high battery drain on this week’s version of both the iOS and Android apps (v80.05.04 and v80.05.06, respectively). Using the iOS/Android battery tracking dashboards, users are reporting 30-50% battery drain‡ from the Sonos app over a 24-hour period.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the battery drain occurs with the Sonos app in the background. Disabling background app refresh doesn’t improve things. Fully exiting the Sonos app is required.

Purely out of curiosity, I plan to monitor Wi-Fi traffic from the app to see if this version of the app is continuously polling the device firmware. Anyone who beats me to such measurements—yay! —by all means let us know what you find.

ⵜ Likely not all users, particulars TBD

‡ Figures reported for phones; tablets have dramatically larger batteries so drain is a smaller percentage

it’s above my tech knowledge grade!!! 

@Rhonny, it is well within my tech knowledge grade … and I’m equally confounded! I’m simply delighted you found something that works. 💪

it’s above my tech knowledge grade!!! 

@Rhonny, it is well within my tech knowledge grade … and I’m equally confounded! I’m simply delighted you found something that works. 💪

You know it’ll be at 40% drain tomorrow now…!

Same thing here. Both my iPhone 15 pro and my girlfriend iPhone SE 2020 got battery drain issue due to the Sonos app. Her’s is quite a massive drain to the point that she had to delete the app and will be waiting for the next update. We’ve turned off the background usage and still seeing a background usage anyway. 

We did it, fam!

https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/31/24210410/sonos-iphone-battery-drain-fix-now-available

Re-hire the testing team.

WE are now the testing team. 

I’m now down to Sonos using just 1% since this week’s app update, so credit to them for sorting it so quickly. (Yes, go on… say “it shouldn’t have been draining quickly in the first place, blah, blah…”)