Answered

Help Playing Music Stored locally on galaxy S9

• 14 December 2020
  • 3 replies

When I set up the Sonos app originally it accessed the files in my Music folder on the phone just fine.  However, I recently have made changes to the folder and the Sonos app will not update.  Tapping Update Music Index Now in settings asks me to confirm that I want it to scan files and then does nothing when I tap OK.  Deleting and reinstalling the app made no difference.  Moving the Music folder to break all connections and then putting it back made no difference.  The original display of files remains unchanged no matter what I do.  I can’t find any way to make updates that actually works.

icon

Best answer by AChittenden 16 December 2020, 23:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @AChittenden

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for reaching out to us about your concern and letting us know what you have done so far to check why you won't be able to play the music stored on your Samsung Galaxy 9.

To further help you out with this, I'd like to verify the following from you: 

1. Ensure Sonos has been granted storage permissions within the android device.
2. Ensure the content & playlists are actually stored on the device. 
3. If the content is stored on an SD card within the device, does it make any difference if the playlist is created within local device storage. 

When playing tracks from your Android device, it needs to stay powered on and connected to your network. If the device goes offline, other Sonos apps will show an error message if they try to play Android tracks that are still in your queue. If that Android device is no longer available, clear out its tracks from the queue to prevent any further errors.

Can you please let us know the software version running on your Samsung Galaxy 9 and the music application you’re using to play the music? Also, we’d appreciate it if you can run a diagnostic report from your Sonos system. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Rowena - Thanks for the reply. I should have come back in and reported that I figured out the problem.  It wasn’t the app or the speaker.  The problem was simply that I had not edited metadata associated with the files to match the file renaming that I had done.  Once I did that, the changes that I expected to see in my library file were all there.   To sum up, the app was doing what it was supposed to do, it was user error on my part.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @AChittenden, thanks for your response and for updating us. I’m glad that you’re now able to listen to your music on your Samsung Galaxy mobile device. If you have questions in the future or need help with your Sonos device, please feel free to reach out. We’ll always happy to assist you.