Skip to main content
Question

Have Boost and Sonosnet been abandoned?

My Boost based systems have collapsed! Has Sonos abandoned Sonosnet?

In an effort to reduce ‘spanning tree protocol’ errors and ‘network latency’ in my clients’ IP networks, I’ve been building Sonos systems via a single wired Sonos device. That is, I plug a Boost (or Connect or Amp) into the Ethernet, then connect all other devices wirelessly to the sonosnet WiFi network created by the first device.

This process has allowed me to build robust, reliable Sonos systems (without messing up the existing network) for years. Many of the properties I work on are massive multi acre sites, where to Boost’s range extending features are vital.

These reliable networks appear to have collapsed this month. I’m getting calls from clients who can no longer operate their systems.

As a dealer/installer I have several Boosts in stock. But I see that they are no longer mentioned on the Sonos website. Even as I purchased a case of Boosts as recently as September 2023. 
If Boosts and sonosnet have been abandoned, I urgently need to know!

Boosts and sonosnet are infrastructural in all of my installations. Correcting this will require that I reengineer my clients’ network and WiFi installation to make WiFi range adjustments the Boosts were handling well by themselves. These corrections will be costly.

Is this what it is? We now must build our Sonos infrastructure completely on our client’s WiFi networks instead of Sonosnet?

If so, why was no notification sent? Costly rebuilding will be required.
If not so, how can I get my Boost/Sonos net systems back online?

Incidentally, this month I was in the middle of a new S2 installation when I needed to add a Boost to extend the range of the sonosnet, but I was completely unable to add the Boost in the new app 80.xx. Because of the timetable (they needed service for a planned party), I was forced to completely abandon the Sonos installation and install HEOS instead.

Now that the installation is done, and the anger and frustration has passed, I really need to know how to move forward.

Is sonosnet supported or abandoned? Are Boosts supported or abandoned?

Are these bugs in the new app upgrade, or planned ‘end of life’ for these services?

Please answer so I can plan appropriately, and correctly service my existing systems.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I believe it’s now discontinued and mine is no longer showing in my system. However, I did see on the release notes about boost, perhaps someone from Sonos on this forum will clarify?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

My Boost based systems have collapsed! Has Sonos abandoned Sonosnet?

In an effort to reduce ‘spanning tree protocol’ errors and ‘network latency’ in my clients’ IP networks, I’ve been building Sonos systems via a single wired Sonos device. That is, I plug a Boost (or Connect or Amp) into the Ethernet, then connect all other devices wirelessly to the sonosnet WiFi network created by the first device.

This process has allowed me to build robust, reliable Sonos systems (without messing up the existing network) for years. Many of the properties I work on are massive multi acre sites, where to Boost’s range extending features are vital.

These reliable networks appear to have collapsed this month. I’m getting calls from clients who can no longer operate their systems.

As a dealer/installer I have several Boosts in stock. But I see that they are no longer mentioned on the Sonos website. Even as I purchased a case of Boosts as recently as September 2023. 
If Boosts and sonosnet have been abandoned, I urgently need to know!

Boosts and sonosnet are infrastructural in all of my installations. Correcting this will require that I reengineer my clients’ network and WiFi installation to make WiFi range adjustments the Boosts were handling well by themselves. These corrections will be costly.

Is this what it is? We now must build our Sonos infrastructure completely on our client’s WiFi networks instead of Sonosnet?

If so, why was no notification sent? Costly rebuilding will be required.
If not so, how can I get my Boost/Sonos net systems back online?

Incidentally, this month I was in the middle of a new S2 installation when I needed to add a Boost to extend the range of the sonosnet, but I was completely unable to add the Boost in the new app 80.xx. Because of the timetable (they needed service for a planned party), I was forced to completely abandon the Sonos installation and install HEOS instead.

Now that the installation is done, and the anger and frustration has passed, I really need to know how to move forward.

Is sonosnet supported or abandoned? Are Boosts supported or abandoned?

Are these bugs in the new app upgrade, or planned ‘end of life’ for these services?

Please answer so I can plan appropriately, and correctly service my existing systems.

Unless you plan on using older speakers in your new installs, you may want to reconsider depending on the Boost and Sonosnet to get speakers that are far away from the router connected. Sonos has moved away from Sonosnet with the Era line. Wifi or hardwiring is going to be used. I prefer hardwiring and configuring RSTP/STP on my network to work with Sonos. I have 11 Sonos devices with 5 of them being hardwired. I don't have any of the connection issues other users do and complain about. 

So for larger installs, you may want to consider connecting speakers/devices with a network cable. If that is impossible to accomplish, a good wifi network would be your best bet.

Userlevel 2
Badge

To clarify my question…

Have Boost and Sonosnet been abandoned? 

I don’t need to know about configuring RSTP/STP or the ERA line or running hardwire. These many systems, I’ve built, are purely architectural. They use Boosts, AMPs, Ports, and SonosNet. 

As they are clients’ systems, I may or may not have admin access to configure their routers (I never need router admin to build a system like this). And I may or may not have access to run wire (also never been needed). These large estates have no use for portable plugin speakers or headphones, only AMPs, Ports, and Boosts.

This architecture I’m using doesn’t require router programming or wire runs to creat robust, reliable Sonos systems. I’ve built tens of these systems and I need to know Have Boost and SonosNet been abandoned?, or are they approacking ‘end of life’?

Maybe this inquiry could be answered by Sonos staff

Not many ‘Sonos staff’ frequent these forums, save the Forum moderators themselves, which may or not be in the know.

I’d consider the fact that the BRIDGE has long since retired, and the subsequent replacement, the BOOST is no longer sold, in addition to the fact that all ‘newer’ Sonos speaker not connecting to a SonosNet signal as being a ‘tell’. 

That being said, I still use a BOOST based system. I am considering, given the advances in home networking equipment, of giving the BOOST up, but haven’t pulled the trigger quite yet. 

I am also having a bear of a time trying to get my Boost based system (all S1) to work after the software update in May 2024.  I will yank out my Boost and see if the system works.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

This thread seems to indicate the issue is not uncommon:

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Fixitman, I understand how difficult this is for you. “Rolling a truck" for a single fix is already costly. Having to re-engineer your client's systems is much worse.  The hit to your reputation is the worst of all.

As a potential solution, you might consider using a port or amp as a "boost." You can either wire an existing port/amp or purchase an additional port to use as a boost. This approach might be more cost-effective than reconfiguring your existing systems to work with the client's WiFi.

However, this may not resolve your client's issues. There have been numerous problems with the new app, and many non-Sonosnet users have been unable to access their systems.

If it helps, here is a list of known issues with the new app:

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Fixitman, I understand how difficult this is for you. “Rolling a truck" for a single fix is already costly. Having to re-engineer your client's systems is much worse.  The hit to your reputation is the worst of all.

As a potential solution, you might consider using a port or amp as a "boost." You can either wire an existing port/amp or purchase an additional port to use as a boost. This approach might be more cost-effective than reconfiguring your existing systems to work with the client's WiFi.

However, this may not resolve your client's issues. There have been numerous problems with the new app, and many non-Sonosnet users have been unable to access their systems.

If it helps, here is a list of known issues with the new app:

Alex, Nice idea to use a Port instead of a Boost. That was the first thing I tried, on my first ‘go back’ on an installation. I was unable to adopt the new device on the new app. After several ‘go backs’ I ultimately installed an entire HEOS system, and abandoned the Sonos completely. There was a deadline to meet, for a sceduled party. I had to make something work.

Today, I’m going to an installed, multi-zone, Sonos system that is entirely Sonosnet based. It’s a large property with several Boosts installed. They’re having a Father’s Day party tomorrow. Their system hasn’t worked since the app update. I don’t have high hopes for a resolution. 

But, let’s say that I’m able to install Ports to replace the Boosts today (I have bothe Ports and Boosts in stock). Dare I? What are the chances that Sonos will abandon Sonosnet on their next hardware update? Then I’ll have to refund all the Ports I installed today, because they will no longer work as Boosts. 

By discontinuing Boosts, even after filling orders for them 6 months ago (I have a cae of brand new ones in stock), Sonos has shown that they are willing to abandon recent purchases along with long time owners. So I am very concerned that Sonosnet will be abandoned as well, soon. Many new Sonos products are not Sonosnet capable. 

What disturbs me most is tha Sonos will not advise us of their projected ‘end of life’ and ‘end of support’ schedules. So we cannot make appropriate plans or recomedations. We can only speculate on the forums. Sonos reads these forums and can easily alert us. They can easily email dealers ands users to keep us informs. They certainly don’t hesitate to email my cusomers to make direct sales. 

Where, last year, I could confidently say that “Sonos is the best there is” I can no long make that recomedation. I’m stumped! Why would they damage their long earned reputation this way? Why would they force us to look for alternatives, like HEOS? Sadly, I think the reasoning has to do with the release of the Sonos Headphones. I speculate that the headphones won’t work on Sonosnet based systems, or the old app. The release of the headphones followed the release of the app almost immediately. I am dissappointed and a bit distraught.

Nobody with massive Sonosnet based systems on large properties (my customers), care about headphones. They care about their systems working properly and reliably. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Within 2 weeks of the app update, I was forced to find an alternative solution to an urgent installation. 
The Sonos app wouldn’t let me finish the installation after repeated attempts… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It is on life support, yes.

• Boost hardware stopped being sold about a year? ago.
  • Recent Sonos hardware doesn’t support SonosNet (Roam/Move/Eras).

The theory is that home wifi is good enough these days, which it might be from a performance perspective but doesn’t cover issues with multicast and broadcast for example. Sonos are paying for this with the new app’s reliance on mDNS, which is clearly a challenge on many home networks, and SonosNet systems seem to have trouble handling the extra network traffic that the new app architecture is using instead of nice, fast, efficient UPnP it was designed to handle.

Badge +3

Unless you plan on using older speakers in your new installs, you may want to reconsider depending on the Boost and Sonosnet to get speakers that are far away from the router connected. Sonos has moved away from Sonosnet with the Era line. Wifi or hardwiring is going to be used. I prefer hardwiring and configuring RSTP/STP on my network to work with Sonos. I have 11 Sonos devices with 5 of them being hardwired. I don't have any of the connection issues other users do and complain about. 

So for larger installs, you may want to consider connecting speakers/devices with a network cable. If that is impossible to accomplish, a good wifi network would be your best bet.

Forget-not the following populations: renters, duplex and condo-owners.
Only descent wifi seems to be the way if one is to forget about Boost.

I wonder if it would still be good for the random computer or other ethernet connected device in the random dead spot in one’s habitat, provided Sonos was considering Boots in their current plans. It is quite rude and a direct path to polluting brand’s top-of-mind awareness (AKA branding) to not even warn the community about this.  I hear @Fixitman’s  point loud and clear.