Answered

Flac files won't work from iBroadcast

• 19 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello everyone in this community.

I have uploaded several flac ripped discs to my iBroadcast account but when I play them from the SONOS app, it always gives me the message ['Song Name' could not be played, the song was not encoded correctly]. On the other hand, if I play those same Flac files from the iBroadcast application or I upload them to the Plex server that I have on my local network, then they reproduce without any problem.

Anybody knows about this, I have to solve it because I still have some old speakers without airplay and I have no choice but to use the SONOS application with these speakers.

icon

Best answer by ratty 19 October 2022, 12:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sonos supports FLAC files from iBroadcast Premium (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4936) but they would have to be at a sensible sampling rate, i.e. up to 48kHz.

By the way, Airplay can be used to target a Sonos player which does support it, then grouping in the speakers which don’t.

Hi ratty,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I understand what you say about the Ibroadcast Premium version, but as with the MP3 files that lower them to 128kbps, the FLAC also lower them to that quality so that they can be reproduced from anywhere, I understand that if the MP3 in this quality sound ok in The Sonos app the flac should not give that problem.

What you think??

It sounds like you have the free version. In that case it appears that Sonos will only play 128kbps MP3 files. 

If your hope is that someone somewhere will transcode FLAC to MP3 on the fly I think you could be disappointed. Certainly Sonos won’t.