Skip to main content

Feedback on Actual Usage of New Sonos App

Just installed the iPad version. Definitely do not like the app compared to the old one.

The new app feels way more busier, due to everything being thrown at you at once (which was their design intention). I’m not saying this approach can’t work though. I’m just saying that the way they designed it, it doesn’t feel right.

In terms of the look and feel, it feels less stylish to me and more cheap. Like it feels like I’m using the Amazon Alexa app (which I hate). The album covers are smaller and not as pronounced, compared to the previous apps recents area.

And the Now Playing screen on the iPad?! Like WTF? Why is there a gap around it showing the interface area behind it (ie Home area)? Why isn’t it full screen (and without rounded corners)? Makes zero design sense, as it’s super distracting, only adding to the busy feeling of the screen. Also see no option to make the app dark instead of light.

All said and done, this just makes me want to not use the app at all, unless there are substantial improvements made to it.

PS. I seem to be having occasional issues loading the app or returning to it, as everything in the app just pulses, as if it’s trying to reload the images / content. 

I hate the new app.  Why why why did you have to mess with it.  Grumpy now

And how do you add to the end of the queue.  My kit is getting towards the end of its life and I certainly will not replace with Sonos. 

Just spent a short time using SONOPAD. 

This is exactly what the Sonos App SHOULD./ Could have been. 

Clean, clear fast interface with easy access to all the features (local library, queue management, all music services).  

Sonos could do themselves a favour by supporting this alternative app (with due compensation for the developer). 

End result: happy users, saving of face and investment in the community. 

Sonophone/pad isn’t buggy enough and is way too fast. Would never pass the Sonos beta testing it’s too good 🤣

Complicated upgrade that doesn’t work easily

Absolute shit show, horrible design, terrible functionality, feels like some bad beta.

instead of focusing on lost functionality, I think you should address the issues that make the system unusable.

• No connection to speakers
  • volume control extremely slow (20 seconds)
  • Playlist not loading (if it loads it can take up to 15 minutes)

resetted everything multiple times to no avail.

for now I downloaded V16.1 from apkmirror. Will try again in a few weeks. If problems still exist, I will try to sell the speakers and move to Bluesound or Heos

instead on focusing on lost functionality, I think you should address the issues that make the system unusable.

Will seriously consider alternatives. 

But which alternatives? 

instead on focusing on lost functionality, I think you should address the issues that make the system unusable.

Will seriously consider alternatives. 

But which alternatives? 

I edited my post. Seems that Bluesound is a good alternative. Would be nice to get a decent price for my Sonos speakers first. That could be a bit of a challenge, with the bad publicity the last days

instead of focusing on lost functionality, I think you should address the issues that make the system unusable.

for now I downloaded V16.1 from apkmirror. Will try again in a few weeks. If problems still exist, I will try to sell the speakers and move to Bluesound or Heos

Bluesound speakers have soft plastic covers which can go sticky in 2 years 🔊😜

TRY may be the operative word.   What value for crippled hardware 😁

Trueplay:

Buggy to get it to work in the first place, wouldn't proceed past the ‘tap to start’ window. Very slow responses.

Eventually managed to get to the arm-waving zworp zworp part, then the iPhone turned off (as they do when you don't do anything with them). 

Turned phone round to unlock it with Face-ID and Sonos app says ‘An error has occurred’. 

Surely you should override the phone auto turn off like you managed to do in previous versions?

What a crock. 

overly complicated!

need to program ease of use

I would be happy to give feedback on the actual use of the new software, but since it removed my Music Library and playlists and won’t allow me to add them back, I have not been able to use it. The situation is an unmitigated disaster.

It seems I can’t even download the new MacOS app--when I download from the Downloads page on the Sonos website, which implies I should be getting 80.0something, I get Sonos_79.0-52294.

It seems I can’t even download the new MacOS app--when I download from the Downloads page on the Sonos website, which implies I should be getting 80.0something, I get Sonos_79.0-52294.

I’m still on 16.1 for the Mac desktop app and probably wont upgrade again unless there’s some benefit to doing so (which I don’t think there will be). No idea what’s in version 79. I got prompted to update to it today but ignored it (even though it’s now locked the preferences in the app, just like it does on the old mobile app).

My main use for the desktop app is as a Now Playing screen (using the mini player and my desktops wallpaper) which I mirror to my Apple TV box, so as to see what’s playing in my living room. I don’t want to lose this ability.

The new Sonos App is rubbish.  I can’t add songs to current playlist. Only allow for individuals songs and album to play anytime rather than able to add to end of queue to create a playlist. Ironically in my Sonos inbox there is a claim ‘our best app update yet’ right!!! Please fix   

I’ve just downloaded the new app on my iPhone. I find that I cannot use it as easily as the old app which I will leave on my iPad. The design is very frustrating, not at all intuitive. I’m faffing around trying to find rooms, broadcasts etc. while stopping things playing in rooms that I never intended. Really a huge step backwards. 

I’ve just scrolled through the comments and can’t find anything positive. Did I miss something?

I’ve just scrolled through the comments and can’t find anything positive. Did I miss something?

Did you update your app? If not, don’t update, leave this hell hole and enjoy your working system. 

edit. Just read your other post. Sorry you updated now you are f’d like the rest of us. Welcome 🤣

Thanks Bumper, see my previous comment that I won’t update my iPad app. 

This past weekend we had people over to our place for a patio bbq as we do often. Usually someone asks about our music system and I brag about the SONO’s system. Since the new app release, I have been so frustrated with how it doesn’t work and the cool features from the previous app have been removed. 

This weekend, it was so horrible. The volume would change on it’s own. Rooms would drop off the system, the i had to re-connect them so that all rooms would be playing. I spend more time explaining that the speakers are great but the app sucks and that SONO’s obviously doesn’t care. So frustrated. I know that they say they are going to be fixing it, but after the update to the new app, now i’m having other issues. I wish they would just bring back the previous version that worked and allowed us to customize our system and playlists and that worked. 

I used to brag about my SONO’s system, now I have a hard time finding anything to brag about. SO CLUNKY and not stable. The features I loved on the previous app are gone. Cannot update my playlists or edit the playlists. I do not understand how anyone at SONO’s thought this was ready for release. I’m on iOS by the way. 

Can someone from SONOS please reply to all these criticisms? Thanks!

Can someone from SONOS please reply to all these criticisms? Thanks!

They won’t. Or at the very least they’ll point you to their timeline of upcoming updates to hopefully resolve these issues.

This is only going to get worse since their new headphones are going to be released tomorrow. Most customers who set them up will probably experience issues with them (due to the Sonos app) and thus will immediately return them for a refund. The company still seems completely ignorant as to what they’ve done but they’ve effectively shot themselves in the foot. 

Truly truly shocking Sonos, how on earth can you try and defend this appalling software release, no excuses or explanations will undo the damage you have done to your brand, loyal customer experience and the future of your revenues. Time to think again, fire the muppets involved and remedy the situation immediately!