Skip to main content
Question

Desktop App New Issues

• 4 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi, I have done a search but can’t find this being discussed anywhere so I hope this is ok.

Since the release of the disastrous new mobile app I have been using my desktop controller to control my system (as I am streaming a local library from a NAS) until such time as Sonos restore the functionality that was previously available. However, I have noticed that since the release of the new mobile app, certain functions of the desktop controller have also stopped working, such as volume control and equalizer. Has anybody else experienced this problem. If so, have you found a way around it? Has Sonos said anything. Will it be fixed alongside the mobile app issues.

This really has been a spectacular own goal by Sonos. I only hope everything gets back to normal soon and they learn from this catastrophic episode.

Just me then…

Moderator edit: combined posts

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GubGub 

Thanks for your post!

We were unable to recreate this issue in our own testing. Ordinarily, I’d ask for diagnostics so we can investigate, but as no further work will be done on the Desktop Controllers, I instead recommend that you switch to using the web app instead: please visit https://play.sonos.com to do so.

Note, however, that the web app does not have EQ settings at present - I recommend the use of the mobile app for that.

If you want to continue using the Desktop Controller for now, I can only recommend trying an uninstall and reinstall of the app.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Corry,

Thanks for your response.

I have tried the web app. Unfortunately I use Sonos almost exclusively to control a local library stored on a NAS. That library is nearly 700gb in size and has many tens of thousands of tracks, only a tiny percentage of which were visible on the app after it had been open for an hour. Therefore, for me, the Web App is not fit for purpose. Increasingly I am thinking that the entire Sonos system is no longer fit for purpose for me, which will turn out to be an immense waste of investment if it proves to be the case.

Failing to support the desktop app is irresponsible in my view. Not everyone is a smartphone loving, app addicted, streaming services user. I certainly am not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GubGub 

Understood - indeed, the web app will not be ideal for locally-stored music. I’m sorry to hear that you feel that Sonos may no longer be fit for purpose for you - the current situation will be temporary, I assure you.

The work on the Desktop app ended years ago - it was not at all efficient to maintain it considering the tiny fraction of our customers who were still using it. It would have served no purpose other than increasing the prices of the speakers unnecessarily.

It does strike me as strange, the issue you report, though I don’t personally know how the speaker controls work now, so perhaps it makes sense. No one else seems to be reporting the same issue, however, so I still recommend uninstalling and reinstalling, if you haven’t tried already.

While I understand any reticence you may have in considering it, I also recommend that you check your speakers for updates - if the speaker’s firmware does not match what the app expects to see, you may well have weird effects as a result. If memory serves, that’s under Manage » Check for system updates in the desktop app menu. Please also ensure you have the latest version of the desktop app - there have been no big changes to it, so doing so will not endanger your current experience. The download page is here.

I hope this helps.