Answered

Connection to Spotify was lost

• Contributor I
  • 1 reply

I have two Sonos products a Play:5 (gen1) and a Play:1. They are connected to a Netgear Orbi mesh network over wifi. The satellites for this network are wired. I’m controlling from a Samsung galaxy s9+ and a PC (Windows 10)

I repeatedly get the “Connection to Spotify was lost message” when using. Songs will sometimes play, but eventually, the error occurs.

Troubleshooting steps undertaken so far.

• Checked for wireless interference. The channel is fixed by the router to channel 11 and this is clear of any other networks (checked with a wifi scanner app). On occasion other networks appear in this range, but their signal is weak compared to mine.
  • Fixed the IP addresses of both Sonos devices on the router.
  • In testing, I’ve put both the devices in the same room as one of the wifi satellites and checked they are both connected to this wifi via the router.
  • I have removed the connectivity between Sonos and Spotify on both apps and reinstalled both apps multiple times.
  • I have reset my password on Spotify and used this to login. 
  • Spotify works in isolation on PC and mobile.
  • I have raised a case with Spotify and submitted diagnostics. The suggestions were to run the Play:1 as ‘primary’ in a group. Made no difference. I regularly run them independently anyway. 
  • They also told me the diagnositcs showed wifi interference on the Play:5.
  • I have also tried their suggestion of wiring via ethernet either of the devices. This worked and both devices would play in a group. However, where I’d like to run these devices would not be able to support a wired connection. I want the wifi to work!
  • I have factory reset both devices. 

Anyone got any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by SDW 10 May 2020, 11:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Try this, with no guaranties, other than it won’t exacerbate the situation:

Unplug all Sonos devices from power. Reboot the router. Then when the router has come back up, plug in the Sonos devices. 

Sonos tends not to play nicely with other mesh networks, and recommends that you maintain a wired device to the root of your network (the DHCP server, for all practical purposes). If it’s not convenient to wire a speaker, then you could potentially get a BOOST, which is what I’ve done. 

And of course, over the last 72 hours, there’s been several issues with Spotify which may have contributed to your issues. 

However, if the issue continues, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of getting the error, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

I’ve ended up wiring the Play:5. Everything working fine now