Skip to main content
Answered

Connection to Siriusxm

• 13 November 2023
  • 7 replies

I’ve been playing SiriusXM on my Sonos speakers for many years with no problems.  Worked great.  Now just over the past few days I keep getting disconnected from SiriusXM.  Every couple of hours I am told “Unable to play the selected item.”  If I try to browse SiriusXM I am told “Unable to browse music.”  The only way around this I find is to remove my SXM account and then go thru the process of adding my SXM account back in.  A lot of unnecessary work.  Is there a fix to this?   This is in the S2 app version 15.9  Thank you.  - Arnie  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

And yes I did reboot my router.  And did unplug and then plug in all my speakers.  No change.  Thank u.

So, a few questions, since your experiences point to some sort of network disconnects. Perhaps simple wifi interference , or a duplicate IP address issue, or a DNS issue, or problems on SiriusXM’s server. 

When you rebooted your router, were the speakers unplugged from power, or did you do that in two different processes? Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks for the response.  I rebooted the router and then later did the power disconnect on the speakers.  So not at the same time.  I will follow your other advice shortly.   I should add that Spotify… Amazon Music…  Tune In…  and Sonos Radio... all play just fine.  This issue is only with SiriusXM.  Thanks!

That tends to point to the issue being with SiriusXM, with one small caveat. If it’s a DNS issue between your speakers and SiriusXM, then that process will definitely spread the DNS changes to your network. 

But if the issue is on SiriusXM’s side, this process, while it won’t harm anything, won’t fix the problem, either. You’d need to contact them with your concerns. 

@Arnie328 - I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I have also been experiencing this issue frequently for the last several weeks. There is also a report on Reddit: SiriusXM "Unable to play selected item" error with station selection : sonos (reddit.com)

Past experience shows that this type of problem is difficult to get attention on from SiriusXM themselves, as their customer support fails to grasp the basic issue and if the SiriusXM app (iOS, etc) works, they just point the blame back at Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks sves.  It is good to know I’m not the only one.  And none of that surprises me.  

I see today my app updated to 15.10.  And it played SiriusXM right away!!  Could be a good sign?  Or could just have been luck that time?  We’ll see.  Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

24 hours later.  15.10 working much better.  I hope this is it.  Thanks all.