Answered

Cant set volume on 8th speaker

I have just added an 8th speaker, and in the controller on desktop Mac changing volume reveals a list of speakers but the 8th volume slider falls off the bottom of the list.  I don’t see a scroll bar or any way to adjust the volume of the 8th speaker.  Solution, anyone?

icon

Best answer by Frustrated23 5 January 2023, 22:37

View original

14 replies

Swipe up anywhere on the volume window.

If memory serves( not near my Sonos system to double check), the OS hides the scroll bar until you hover over it. Or click where it should be. But this is an OS level issue, not a Sonos issue. 

First of all, thanks for the prompt reply, but…

there is no way to “swipe” on my imac.  It is not a touch screen and the mouse does not have any effect by dragging over the volume window.  

There is also no hidden scroll bar visible, or when hovering where it is sometimes hidden on the right side of the volume window.  Can’t see how that is not a Sonos issue if the programmers didn’t put in a scroll bar.

I am on macOS Monterey on a late 2015 iMac, where all my music library is stored, not that this should make much difference in how the volume control window works.

I am using the Sonos controller S2 ver 14.20, build 70435282, which should be the latest.

Any other suggestions?

I’m on a Mac right now, using the Mac controller. When I click on the round icon that shows where the volume is for a set of “grouped” rooms, the volume area immediately expands to show me all the rooms and their individual volumes, which can then be individually changed. Does this function not work on your Mac? In fact, clicking anywhere on the line for volume, not just that big round thing works in the same way. 

I am on a later Mac, using Ventura 13.1. Given that Sonos stopped updating the Mac controller many years ago in favor of the mobile controllers, there really shouldn’t be any difference between the two OSs. But you’re right, when I responded, I was thinking of the iOS hiding of the scroll bars, since I was originally reading on my iPad. 

Or is the “not scrolling” function the issue because the 8th (or whatever) speaker volume is below the bottom of the screen of the Mac controller? Have you tried just resizing the window? 

Edited for clarity: Resizing the entire Sonos controller window. It has a minimum height, but it appears I can make it pretty tall.

Hi Bruce,

Yes, the 8th speaker name appears just at the bottom of the expanded volume control window, and its control slider is hidden below the bottom.  Just tried making the Sonos controller window as tall as possible (good suggestion) but that had no effect on the size of the expanded volume control window.

It would be distressing to learn that Sonos has given up supporting the Mac controller, as that is where my music library is stored, and needs frequent updating (Manage/Update Music LIbrary Now), a feature I have not found on the mobile controller.  Playing my music library is an essential feature for me, and maintaining the Mac Sonos Controller would seem to be essential, too.

Any idea how to get Sonos to pay attention to this problem?

Peter

Your music library is not stored in the controller  

And Bruce correctly stated that Sonos had stopped updating the desktop controller, not stopped supporting it. 

Sonos updating the controller app and you updating your music library are two totally unrelated actions. 

Although it is not relevant to this thread, in the mobile app:

Settings, System, Music Library, to trigger music library updates.

I don’t know….you may want to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They may have more information that I do, and its possible that it’s a bug, in which case they’d likely, at some future point,  provide an update to the controller. They have continued to deal with bugs in the desktop controllers, just not new features, as @John B and I are trying to say. 

But in general, I rarely use my desktop app for volume control, I always use either an iPad or iPhone to do that, in which @jgatie ‘s suggestion always works, since that OS’s screen is indeed touch controlled. Or even the volume controls on the speakers which work when turned on...but I also rarely need to control one room out of a group. Once I’ve got relative volumes set up, I don’t ever (close enough to never to not matter) need to change them. So I may not have great/handy answers for you. 

Maybe it’s a by-product of this bug?

All, Thanks for your suggestions.  After a 1.5 hour call with Sonos Support, the problem work around is as follows.  If I buy a mouse with a third scroll wheel, I can scroll the expanded volume control window up and down to expose the slider for the 8th speaker.  My apple mouse has a non-functional scroll button but the support tech was using an HP mouse with a middle scroll wheel and showed me she could operate the scroll feature for this window.  However, there is no scroll bar displayed for it, even though other windows in the S2 controller do display scroll bars, which appear when you hover in the right place.  

I also found that the Page UP and Page Down keys will also scroll this window, but not the up/down or left/right arrow keys.  So… case closed.  Guess I need a new mouse to adjust the volume!

Well, that’s an answer. And why I absolutely loath the Apple mouse. I’m sure (well, I assume) there’s some multifinger gesture to do that, but I’m old and cranky, so I use Logitech bluetooth mice, just because I like separate buttons and a scroll dial.

I’m happy you have “an” answer, although probably not the one you were looking for. 

It still seems possible to me that the absence of a scroll bar may be linked to the current bug so maybe worth waiting before you buy another mouse?

I am not an Apple user but I can't help thinking there must be an option to enable scrolling?

https://www.saintlad.com/fix-magic-mouse-not-scrolling/