Skip to main content

Hello,

I upgraded my router (SSID and password unchanged), and now the Win10 PC cannot connect to the system any longer. I tried reinstalling the Sonos application.

Both the Beam 2 and PC are wired. All speakers was originally setup to use wifi, but several months ago I was able to reach the Beam with a cable, so I believe the don’t use the routers wifi any longer.

I can connect just fine with Android and iPad.

/Joey

Did you reboot all the Sonos units, by powering off for 30 seconds? 

Windows defaults new wifi networks to “public”, which is not compatible with Sonos. Switch your wifi to “Private”.

Why Sonos engineers don’t add a specific error message for this remains a mystery.

That’s interesting. I’ve used the Windows controller for years on machines (W8.1, W11) with the interface set to “public”. 

That’s interesting. I’ve used the Windows controller for years on machines (W8.1, W11) with the interface set to “public”. 

No idea how you get away with that, unless you have done additional manual configuration. It’s actually dangerous, as it means if you are on a Starbucks wifi (which is public), others can access your machine on the network.

From the Firewall panel in Windows

https://www.howtogeek.com/245982/whats-the-difference-between-private-and-public-networks-in-windows/

I’ve even seen a few Ethernet connections end up as public, and blocking Sonos.

Dangerous? It’s the other way round surely. If set to “public” Windows is not discoverable. It’s for “public networks”. In any case it’s the default (and “recommended”) in W11.

Mine in an Ethernet desktop. I don’t share anything onto the private subnet. Sonos WDCR has always worked fine. The Windows firewall is however disabled as I’m using Norton.

Did you reboot all the Sonos units, by powering off for 30 seconds? 

No, but I tried now. It didn’t help.

Thanks

Windows defaults new wifi networks to “public”, which is not compatible with Sonos. Switch your wifi to “Private”.

Why Sonos engineers don’t add a specific error message for this remains a mystery.

Thank you. It was the correct answer. Connected immediately afterwards. I was using Ethernet though, but same issue.

/Joey

Thank you. It was the correct answer. Connected immediately afterwards. I was using Ethernet though, but same issue.

/Joey

Excellent! Now its working you can try my Windows app (see profile) for free for 30 days. (And yes, my app does have a specific error message for this).