Skip to main content
Answered

Cannot Add Services (Apple Music) in New Sonos App

Greetings All. Been having a mare since new update as cannot add in Apple Music in Content Services.

I have tried this from Android, iOS. Deleted both Sonos and Apple apps and tried again. Tried older version of Sonos app etc… On iOS and Android I cannot add any of the services listed. Strangely I tried on Windows and can add some services from there but when I try Apple Music it results in a message stating that ‘Apple Music must be added to Sonos from an iOS device or Android phone’. Anyone had any luck in resolving a similar situation>?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I´m having the exact same issue. Impossible to add Apple Music accounts to Sonos in the new app. Support couldn't help. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I can play Apple Music via AirPlay and Alexa command but its at lower quality and I cant leverage Lossless or Dolby Atmos which is the main reason I use Apple Music with Sonos.. 

There seems to be some problem with the final handshake between Apples authorization (which I get to from App) and Sonos adding it to my services.. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I´m having the exact same issue, please let me know if you are able to make it work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Currently having the same issue (iOS, 80.01.30).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I just got the new update, 80 01.08. Tried on both iOS and android, not fixed alas. I tried uninstall reinstall and all that too. If I find a resolution I'll update here. If anyone else resolves kindly update thus thread also.

I tried Sonos phone support (the only mode available to log a support call now) a few days ago but waited over 30 minutes and then my call was hung up on.. unfortunately I have not had time to try again yet..

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So, I got sorted! but resolution did however involve the nuclear option.

I tried lots of things, including changing the DNS on my router, using ethernet etc to no avail.
I spent an hour with Sonos support and did get great assistance from Sonos them once i got through. I am technical and was impressed by the agents knowledge and her ability to think outside the box.

I went off to try a few more things and when I went to call back support there was an 80 minute queue - one thing that needs improvement by Sonos if you are listening is the wait time because my experience with the support person was excellent. Also the support chatbot is useless!

Here are the steps I took:

• I have a few Sonos so I powered them all off. 
  • Rebooted my router. 
  • I did a full reset on the first speaker (a One in this case)
  • Went through the setup of One as brand new. (strange thing I discovered is that your services etc are all bound and stored in the Sonos device and not held up in Sonos or cloud someplace. I assume they then replicated that config device to device once joined)
  • Setup completed and I could then add in all my services!
  • I then reset the other powered off Sonos.
  • Joined to the new system\group I created above.
  • All the services carried over that I setup above
  • Job done!

Obviously this would be a more painful solution if you have large numbers of devices but I thankfully only had a few. I found it better to rip the plaster off than way hoping an App update would fix things - in my case I don't think an App update would ever have resolved my particular issue..

The new App is now working great for me. I am sure there are a few niggles which Sonos will iron out in coming weeks but its working well for me!

One thing of interest I found out is that there is a web interface for each Sonos device which can be accessed to review config and check Sonos can ping update.sonos.com etc, If you google it you will find details..

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Glad you found a fix. To be honest, feels like the app is pretty unstable at the moment. Not going to risk resetting a speaker in case I can’t readd it after.

Hopefully an update will resolve it and I’ll stick to AirPlay for now.

Userlevel 1

I tried lots of things, including changing the DNS on my router, using ethernet etc to no avail.
I spent an hour with Sonos support and did get great assistance from Sonos them once i got through. I am technical and was impressed by the agents knowledge and her ability to think outside the box.

I went off to try a few more things and when I went to call back support there was an 80 minute queue - one thing that needs improvement by Sonos if you are listening is the wait time because my experience with the support person was excellent. Also the support chatbot is useless!

• Rebooted my router. 
  • Went through the setup of One as brand new. (strange thing I discovered is that your services etc are all bound and stored in the Sonos device and not held up in Sonos or cloud someplace. I assume they then replicated that config device to device once joined)
  • Job done!

Obviously this would be a more painful solution if you have large numbers of devices but I thankfully only had a few. I found it better to rip the plaster off than way hoping an App update would fix things - in my case I don't think an App update would ever have resolved my particular issue..

The new App is now working great for me. I am sure there are a few niggles which Sonos will iron out in coming weeks but its working well for me!

One thing of interest I found out is that there is a web interface for each Sonos device which can be accessed to review config and check Sonos can ping update.sonos.com etc, If you google it you will find details..

Same problem. I have an appointment with Sonos agent level 2 June 10th? Can you explain « first speaker »? Is it the speaker wired to your router? Do you have a Boost or wifi setup?

Same problem here. Very possible after installing last update. Tried everything, from android phone, iphone, laptop with window 11. Same cannot add apple music. Changed apple account, made another one and payed 1 month of apple music, nothing changed. I can play via air apple, and in the apple music i have notification with high resolution loosless, but in sonos app i get no information. I think the sonos app from last year was way better. How can we get apple music added to sonos app without <nuclear option>????
I have other streaming account linked, amazon, tidal,spotify, and works. Only apple doesnt work

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same problem. I have an appointment with Sonos agent level 2 June 10th? Can you explain « first speaker »? Is it the speaker wired to your router? Do you have a Boost or wifi setup?

I only connected to ethernet as part of troubleshooting to rule out Wi-Fi or related DNS issues.

All the steps above were using Wi-Fi only.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same problem here. Very possible after installing last update. Tried everything, from android phone, iphone, laptop with window 11. Same cannot add apple music. Changed apple account, made another one and payed 1 month of apple music, nothing changed. I can play via air apple, and in the apple music i have notification with high resolution loosless, but in sonos app i get no information. I think the sonos app from last year was way better. How can we get apple music added to sonos app without <nuclear option>????
I have other streaming account linked, amazon, tidal,spotify, and works. Only apple doesnt work

I had my existing services and all were working but I  could not add any new ones - including ones that dont require an account like Global Player.

In my case, after last update i realised that cant play apple music from sonos app. I had all providers including apple music. But when i played a song from apple music the app just suffled all songs from that library but no music, as all songs where missing. I removed apple provider and tried to add it again. But from that point on nothing happened, just error adding apple music. Changed account, installed apple music on android phone, changed apple music account, new id apple ….nothing

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you for letting us know. For now I’m going to wait and see if a future update fixes things. I have quite a bit of speakers and don’t want to risk completely loosing access to the system by doing the nuclear option haha. I can’t add any service from the IOS app, but strangely I can from the Mac app, but Apple Music can’t be added that way. 

So you have sonos app on Mac and you cand add apple music as a provider on sonos app??Guess no…
There is no problem with playing songs via Airplay , but you dont get dolby atmos. When i play songs with dolby atmos, i get information in apple music app as high resolution lossless, but on sonos app nothing

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In my case, after last update i realised that cant play apple music from sonos app. I had all providers including apple music. But when i played a song from apple music the app just suffled all songs from that library but no music, as all songs where missing. I removed apple provider and tried to add it again. But from that point on nothing happened, just error adding apple music. Changed account, installed apple music on android phone, changed apple music account, new id apple ….nothing

exactly the same as me. cycling through loads of songs but not playing any.. its a bit of effort to start over but worked for me

Same problem here. Hope Sonos fix it soon.

Badge +1

I have the exact same issue. I’m moving away from Tidal to Apple Music but can’t add the Service to my Sonos…

Badge +1

I’ve just spent more than 1 hour with Sonos Support (very nice by the way).

We’ve tried a lot of different things: remove Music app, different iOS devices, reset Sonos App, Reboot devices, etc.

Nothing worked. The lady said that this will be escalated and understood my frustration with the new App, saying that a lot of customers are unfortunately facing issues with it.

So…. I tried the « Nuke » solution shared by ClothEaredNincompoop and it worked!!! I could even add multiple Apple Music services (I have a family subscription for my kids and wife).

Honestly it is worth it, because I don’t want to wait for a possible update in a few weeks or months…

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’ve just spent more than 1 hour with Sonos Support (very nice by the way).

We’ve tried a lot of different things: remove Music app, different iOS devices, reset Sonos App, Reboot devices, etc.

Nothing worked. The lady said that this will be escalated and understood my frustration with the new App, saying that a lot of customers are unfortunately facing issues with it.

So…. I tried the « Nuke » solution shared by ClothEaredNincompoop and it worked!!! I could even add multiple Apple Music services (I have a family subscription for my kids and wife).

Honestly it is worth it, because I don’t want to wait for a possible update in a few weeks or months…

Excellent, glad to hear it!

All working well for me now across: Apple Music, Local Media Library, BBC, PocketCasts, Audible, Calm etc… Sure, there are a few things changed in the new app but I am sure it will be honed as time goes on..

Sorry, but I seem to be a little late to the Nightmare

today, I was pretty surprised and dismayed about this latest update total screw-up by Sonos. I managed to sort through the new interface hall of mirrors, but have not found a solution for adding music stored on my iMac and NAS or reauthorizing my Apple Music account. I’m not sure just yet if I’ll stumble any further disappointments as I sort through the mobile and desktop apps.

Reading through all of the suggestion comments in many, many different threads has done nothing except make my eyes tired. There do not seem to be any viable solutions coming from the Community, except perhaps ClothEaredNincompoop’s nuclear option, which, even if it works, is a totally unacceptable option/workaround for resolving this bungled update.

So congratulations Sonos Product Managers and Market Management for first defining this huge CF App and then second deciding to push it out. Great Job! Great Job!! This’ll look super on your CV.

So, for now I will simply listen to Radio Paradise. And, if and whenever I hear that the Sonos responsible people for this update debacle have been sacked, and a new update is available to fix this mess, I’ll try that version – after waiting for a month or so for feedback from the community.

Badge +1

Sorry, but I seem to be a little late to the Nightmare

today, I was pretty surprised and dismayed about this latest update total screw-up by Sonos. I managed to sort through the new interface hall of mirrors, but have not found a solution for adding music stored on my iMac and NAS or reauthorizing my Apple Music account. I’m not sure just yet if I’ll stumble any further disappointments as I sort through the mobile and desktop apps.

Reading through all of the suggestion comments in many, many different threads has done nothing except make my eyes tired. There do not seem to be any viable solutions coming from the Community, except perhaps ClothEaredNincompoop’s nuclear option, which, even if it works, is a totally unacceptable option/workaround for resolving this bungled update.

So congratulations Sonos Product Managers and Market Management for first defining this huge CF App and then second deciding to push it out. Great Job! Great Job!! This’ll look super on your CV.

So, for now I will simply listen to Radio Paradise. And, if and whenever I hear that the Sonos responsible people for this update debacle have been sacked, and a new update is available to fix this mess, I’ll try that version – after waiting for a month or so for feedback from the community.

Honestly the “Nuclear” solution, although really unacceptable, is not that much of a big deal. It is gonna take you 2 hours max (I have 5 speakers and 1 Amp) and is worth it. 
I’m still facing a massive other issue though: the limitation with playlist of more than 100 songs: Sonos can’t play them anymore. 😓

Same problem here. We've tried everything to add music services (specifically SoundCloud) to the new Sonos app.

But it doesn't work, no matter what we try. We're very disapointed. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Nuke from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

• Rebooted my router. 
  • Job done!

Thank you! That did the trick!!