Answered

Can't add Apple Music on Android Sonos app

Userlevel 1

In the Android app, when I try to add my existing Apple Music subscription.

I hit the :

“I’m already a member” button

And then I get 1 second of spinner. But then I get a white screen forever:

Forever white

And AFAIS I can only add Apple Music via the Sonos app on the phone. I have no iOS device. I own a mac and Android devices.
I’d have plenty of Linux devices.. But I guess those are anyway not being supported by Sonos (which is kinda sucks to be honest).

So

icon

Best answer by James L. 20 December 2021, 10:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

I just ran into this issue. Luckily my wife has an iPhone so my issue is resolved. But this is tricky. You have a platfrom (Apple Music) not working on a competing device (Android) while using a 3rd Party app (Sonos). There's probably not much incentive for Apple to escalate a fix for competing devices if the issue lies with Apple. They would rather you have an iPhone. Google would rather you use YouTube Music so they may not feel a need to escalate a fix. And Sonos (if the issue is not on their end) gets hurt the most as people blame their software and their reputation gets damaged. I can't see Sonos risking their reputation for the thought of, “maybe they'll switch to Sonos Radio". Sonos relies on their software and agnostic approach to varies sources.

Hi Corey, could you describe step by step how you managed to add your Apple Music Account to your Sonos App on your wife’s iPhone pls? Would be highly appreciated! Martin 

EASY FIX (Hope this helps for you too):

I had same issue with my Android phone and not being able to access apple music on Sonos system:

1. I removed Apple Music from Sonos app ( may not be necessary, but I did this trying to initially fix the problem)

2. Accessed Sonos through my iPad (running iOS 15.0)

3. Go to Settings / Services & Voice / + Add a Service, then add Apple Music to Sonos app.

Once I did this, I was able to access Apple music once again through my Android phone. 

Hope this helps 

EASY FIX (Hope this helps for you too):

I had same issue with my Android phone and not being able to access apple music on Sonos system:

1. I removed Apple Music from Sonos app ( may not be necessary, but I did this trying to initially fix the problem)

2. Accessed Sonos through my iPad (running iOS 15.0)

3. Go to Settings / Services & Voice / + Add a Service, then add Apple Music to Sonos app.

Once I did this, I was able to access Apple music once again through my Android phone. 

Hope this helps 

Thanks a lot Timothy - I’will try that !  

So I used my daughter's iPhone 8 to get around this. She has Apple Music via my family membership, logged into this on her phone with her Apple ID. I downloaded Sonos S2 on her phone, signed into my Sonos system using my Sonos login, found the existing system. I was able to add Apple Music seamlessly. Great, it works! But I'm still not happy. Why should we have to go through this inconvenient work around, whilst the tech companies we pay good money to for their products, are unable to provide what they say they can (without warnings that some things do not actually work)? Apple possibly have changed something so this problem exists. Sonos possibly should put more priority into resolving. But can we at least get acknowledgement in the app to say that Apple Music cannot be added as a service via Android at the moment, with some sort of fix ETA? Wouldn't hurt. Would grow some confidence at least. There must be a post-it note on a product backlog somewhere within Sonos or Apple offices..surely?

I just ran into this issue. Luckily my wife has an iPhone so my issue is resolved. But this is tricky. You have a platfrom (Apple Music) not working on a competing device (Android) while using a 3rd Party app (Sonos). There's probably not much incentive for Apple to escalate a fix for competing devices if the issue lies with Apple. They would rather you have an iPhone. Google would rather you use YouTube Music so they may not feel a need to escalate a fix. And Sonos (if the issue is not on their end) gets hurt the most as people blame their software and their reputation gets damaged. I can't see Sonos risking their reputation for the thought of, “maybe they'll switch to Sonos Radio". Sonos relies on their software and agnostic approach to varies sources.

Hi Corey, could you describe step by step how you managed to add your Apple Music Account to your Sonos App on your wife’s iPhone pls? Would be highly appreciated! Martin 

We already had the Sonos S2 app on my wife’s phone so we just added Apple Music using her phone.  Once this was complete I was able to access Apple Music from my android’s Sonos S2 app.

Has there been any resolution to this issue that doesn't require an iOS device?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Not unless they’re keeping it secret.

And it’s not just any old iOS device required, it has to be a recent iOS device that can run the current S2 and Apple Music apps that are frequently updated to obsolete older devices.

Not unless they’re keeping it secret.

And it’s not just any old iOS device required, it has to be a recent iOS device that can run the current S2 and Apple Music apps that are frequently updated to obsolete older devices.

I tried the workaround with two different iphones and it did not do the trick as the iphones default to their owners' Apple Id. Hence I have someone else's music library running on my sonos now...😡😭

You’d need to log out of their account on their phone, in to yours, set up your Apple account on Sonos, then log back out of your account on their phone, and not in Sonos. That would leave your account logged in on your Sonos, and not on their phone.

Created an account just to post here… My sonos app has been totally fine with my apple music for the last few years, then suddenly today I tried to play “my station” and it wouldn’t work.  Lo and behold, I had to reauthorize my apple music and I have the same issue.  I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, same problem.  This is super annoying.

I think we all agree, this is indeed super annoying, and want Apple to fix their issue as quickly as possible. It is unfortunate they don’t maintain a presence on the Sonos forums. 

The last answer here was 12 days ago. Are you able to escalate this. I only use Apple Music, and my expensive Sonos speaker system is now completely unusable (I do not have access to an iOS device)

How is this ok?

Agree 100% it used to work and now I'm paying for apple music but nothing to play it on. 

This needs to be fixed.  It used to work.  I'm paying each month for music service i cant play on my sonos. What is the plan?

Have you asked Apple?

This needs to be fixed.  It used to work.  I'm paying each month for music service i cant play on my sonos. What is the plan?

The plan is to wait until Apple fixes their app so it can be used to authenticate the account for use by Sonos.

Userlevel 1

Ok, I’ve given up. I’ve cancelled Apple Music for my household and subscribed to Spotify - it just works… for now.

I honestly don’t see myself purchasing any more Sonos speakers in future given the lack of responsiveness - this is not how you treat your customers.

Ok, I’ve given up. I’ve cancelled Apple Music for my household and subscribed to Spotify - it just works… for now.

I honestly don’t see myself purchasing any more Sonos speakers in future given the lack of responsiveness - this is not how you treat your customers.

Surely it should be “this is not how Apple should treat its customers”. It’s their app which evidently needs attention. 

Why is it always Sonos that gets the blame for their partners’ shortcomings?

Userlevel 1

Surely it should be “this is not how Apple should treat its customers”. It’s their app which evidently needs attention. 

I would expect there is a business relationship here; both parties are responsible IMO. Sonos speakers are advertised as having Apple Music support (and continue to do so), even though it is horribly broken.

Anyway, it seems Spotify is better supported anyway (i.e. you can play music on the speakers directly from the Spotify app, which is super nice), so I’m happy :)

So let’s get this straight - Spotify works fine with Sonos on Android.  Apple Music doesn’t work with Sonos on Android.  And your response is to refuse to purchase Sonos products?  

I would expect there is a business relationship here; both parties are responsible IMO. Sonos speakers are advertised as having Apple Music support (and continue to do so), even though it is horribly broken.

The speakers support Apple Music. I play Apple Music on mine, using an Android Sonos controller. I added the service to Sonos using an iDevice, as recommended

Anyway, it seems Spotify is better supported anyway (i.e. you can play music on the speakers directly from the Spotify app, which is super nice), so I’m happy :)

That’s great. 

The only business relationship is Apple agrees to develop for the Sonos API.  Nothing else.  No money changes hands for Apple Music in the Sonos app, there are no kickbacks.  The amount of leverage Sonos has with Apple is zero. In fact, the only money Sonos pays Apple is to license Airplay on iOS devices, so why would Apple care if Android users are left in the lurch? 

Userlevel 1

The speakers support Apple Music. I play Apple Music on mine, using an Android Sonos controller. I added the service to Sonos using an iDevice, as recommended.

I do not have access to an iDevice. And I initially set it up just fine using my Android phone. It’s only recommended now that it’s broken.

Anyway, I originally posted this for those of you stuck without music on your speakers; it’s been months and with no end in sight. It is cheaper and easier to just switch to Spotify (or something else) than replace your speakers.

Userlevel 1

... why would Apple care if Android users are left in the lurch? 

Well, they’ve lost me as a customer for one. Been subscribed for years, using it on my mac, and then when available, on my android and Sonos speakers.

... why would Apple care if Android users are left in the lurch? 

Well, they’ve lost me as a customer for one. Been subscribed for years, using it on my mac, and then when available, on my android and Sonos speakers.

Exactly the point.  The end user has far more leverage than Sonos.  Which is why the advice given in this thread is to contact Apple directly, since they are where the problem lies. 

Userlevel 1

Exactly the point.  The end user has far more leverage than Sonos.  Which is why the advice given in this thread is to contact Apple directly, since they are where the problem lies. 

Or vote with your wallet :joy: