Answered

Can only select closest Sonos to Phone when playing music.

• 21 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi All,

I use the Sonos app to play music. But I have a frustrating issue I am hoping you can help with.

If I am in the kitchen, and select some music to play, it will play on the kitchen speaker. From here I can choose to play in the living room also (which is next to kitchen).

If I walk into the living room. And choose to extend the music playing into the living room, it doesn’t show me the option for the kitchen, and therefore I lose the ability to joint control the two rooms.

Does anyone else experience this?

icon

Best answer by controlav 21 December 2022, 15:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Has this ever worked? What type of device are you using?  When in the Sonos App, if you select the box showing the playing music at the bottom of the screen and then press the ‘up arrow in a box’ symbol to the right of the volume slide.  Are your other devices listed?  Does the Audio extend to your other players if you select them from the list and hit ‘Done’?

As the questions from @UKMedia imply. it’s hard to tell if you are taking the steps necessary to group the two rooms, which is what you need to do to “extend the music into the living room”.

As an additional experiment, if you leave the music playing in the kitchen, and then do a long press on the ‘play/pause” button on the living room speaker, what happens?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Note that your phone never communicates directly with your Sonos speaker. Your phone always communicates with your router, and your router then with your Sonos speaker. (It “routes”, hence the name).

If something varies by phone location, that is a router problem, most likely not handling the switch between 2.4 and 5GHz. Get a better router.