Answered

Can I use Tidal app for PC or must I use the Sonos app?

• 30 April 2023
  • 8 replies

The Tidal app for PC doesnt seem to find my Sonos products. Must I use the Sonos app when playing from a PC? The Tidal app finds my chromecast and I think Spoitfy also used to find my Sonos speakers.. Not the end of the world, but i prefer the Tidal app (esp for searching).

(this has probably been asked a thousand times but I cant find any answers here or on reddit)

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 May 2023, 09:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi@Beertown 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First, I am completely unfamiliar with the Tidal apps - PC or otherwise. However, I do know that you can control Sonos from within the Android/iOS apps for Tidal, but not by using Tidal’s own Tidal Connect feature (which includes higher bitrate streaming). Whether this functionality is available on Tidal’s PC app, I don’t know, but I see no reason for it not to be. Have you tried from the Android/iOS apps? If so, does it work?

There are, however, a couple of things you can try:

I recommend a reboot of your WiFi router - please switch it off for at least 30 seconds. Reboot the speakers and the PC afterwards.

If that doesn’t help, please find the IP address of a Sonos speaker (from Settings » System » About my System) and substitute the address into http://[IP Address]:1400/tools.htm and enter the result into a browser on a device connected to your network. On the resulting page, please press “mDNS Announce”, then check the Tidal app once more to see if the speaker now shows as available. If it does, repeat this for the other players.

I hope this helps.

Yeah. It works fine if I use the Sonos app on both android and pc. Don't have any apple products. 

On android phone I must use the sonos app to control the volume, but I can use the Tidal app for everything else. I prefer using the Tidal app as I am more familiar with it and they have lots of lists and suggestions. But the Sonos app ok as well. Fine either way, but I actually didn't know that using the Tidal app gives me a higher bitrate than the sonos app supports, so thanks for that. I use the Sonos Port to connect to my HiFi. 

I shall try your suggestion with the turning everything off and on again. I don't think it will work in this case, but one shouldn't knock the classics.. :) 

Your second suggestion was fancy. Eager to see if it helps. If it does I will let update this answer for others to see. 

Thanks again. 

Edit - The spotify app for pc finds my Sonos speakers just fine. But do u think having Spotify installed somehow messes up the Tidal connect to Sonos? (sorry for not using the right names for things..)

I got in touch with Tidal and it turns out the Tidal PC app doesn't support Sonos yet. They had an automated answer ready for that question, but they still wouldnt inform the users about that on their website..🙄 Annoying corporate policies..

Thanks anyway🙏

It's possible that there may be an issue with the Tidal app's compatibility with Sonos products on your PC. While Tidal should be able to find Sonos products directly through the app, sometimes there can be compatibility issues between the two.

To troubleshoot this issue, try the following steps:

1. Ensure that your Sonos products are connected to your home network and are turned on.

2. Make sure that both the Tidal app and the Sonos app are up to date.

3. Check that your PC is connected to the same network as your Sonos products.

4. Restart both the Tidal app and your PC.

5. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Tidal app on your PC.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be necessary to use the Sonos app to play music from your PC. Alternatively, you could try using a different music streaming service that has better compatibility with Sonos products on your PC.

Turns out the Tidal PC app doesn't support Sonos yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Beertown 

Thanks for updating the thread with your findings!

Just to be clear, I wasn’t saying you’ll get a higher bitrate by using the Tidal app, I was saying that the Tidal Connect feature which does offer a higher bitrate for casting doesn’t work with Sonos. If you use the Sonos app, however, you will get the best bitrate available. So, in regards to playing on Sonos specifically, you’ll get the best quality by playing from the Sonos app.

Aha, I guess I jumped to conclusions there. I see now what u wrote and I misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up. 

But just to make it perfectly clear to a noob like me, when I am streaming to my Sonos (Port) it makes no difference for the sound quality/bitrate wether I am using the Tidal android app (and controlling the volume through the Sonos app) or playing through the Sonos android app and using Tidal as a service?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Beertown 

If you initiate playback on Tidal from within the Sonos app, you can get lossless 1411kbps FLAC playback (CD quality).

If you play from the Tidal app to Sonos, however, I believe you’ll be limited to a 320kbps stream (but you’d need good ears to tell the difference).

I hope this helps.