Skip to main content
Answered

Bring back the ability to search music library

I have been using Sonos for several years, and it is attached to a streaming service and my music library on a USB drive, which has years worth of accumulated music, including a lot not available on streaming. I have just (8 May) updated to the new Sonos app. Now I can still see and trawl through my music library, but cannot search in it. The general search function just returns the streaming and Sonos radio results, and there’s no dedicated search for the music library. This effectively cuts off my access to my own music, by making it prohibitively difficult to find anything. Please bring this functionality back. I know you want to prioritise revenue generation, but this is disrespectful to your customers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

119 replies

Userlevel 1

Sonos have advised the following will be reinstated:

May 21

Screen reader for visually impaired customers

Adding and editing alarms 

Early June

Adding to queue and playing next

Mid-June

Local music library search and playback

Update Wi-Fi settings

It's a start even if it doesn't cover everything. I'll give it until the end of June otherwise I'll be going to a competitor. I've put up with the buggy apps and problematic updates for years but this could be the final straw.

It is a start, I agree. Not being able to search my massive library of music until Mid-June (if they stay on this timeline) is somewhat absurd.

I’m not sure if this is an issue in the Android world, but it would be nice if Apple’s ecosystem allowed users like us to downgrade iOS apps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Rediculous that it will take that long to reinstate features that should never have been taken away. Better than nothing but mid June is far away, can’t believe we’ll have to deal with this rubbish app for that long.

@Sonos, why can’t you just make the old app available and let us install it instead and forget about the mess you created with this new app. If I was in charge I would scrap the new app entirely and forget that it ever happened, it is an embarrassment. Why make loyal customers wait months while their systems are useless.

Userlevel 3
Badge

What’s a good Sonos alternative? Bose?

Userlevel 1

May 21

Early June

Mid-June

Update Wi-Fi settings

It's a start even if it doesn't cover everything. I'll give it until the end of June otherwise I'll be going to a competitor. I've put up with the buggy apps and problematic updates for years but this could be the final straw.

It is a start, I agree. Not being able to search my massive library of music until Mid-June (if they stay on this timeline) is somewhat absurd.

I’m not sure if this is an issue in the Android world, but it would be nice if Apple’s ecosystem allowed users like us to downgrade iOS apps.

NOT an issue on Android, I've uinstalled the new update and reinstalled the previous version of the app on all my android devices. 

Userlevel 1

May 21

Early June

Mid-June

Update Wi-Fi settings

NOT SURE IF THIS HELPS YOU.

"Can I revert to a previous version of an app iOS?

To do this, go to the My Apps section in iTunes; you will find all the purchased and synced applications. Choose the app to downgrade and select the version number from Get INFO" 

Userlevel 1

To do this, go to the My Apps section in iTunes; you will find all the purchased and synced applications. Choose the app to downgrade and select the version number from Get INFO" 

This might still be available from Windows or an older version of macOS. iTunes for macOS has been replaced with Apple Music which is primarily focused on Apple’s Music service and no longer syncs iOS apps.

We have a PC running Windows in our house, so I may try this. Thanks, @moe_2020!

Userlevel 1

This might still be available from Windows or an older version of macOS. iTunes for macOS has been replaced with Apple Music which is primarily focused on Apple’s Music service and no longer syncs iOS apps.

We have a PC running Windows in our house, so I may try this. Thanks, @moe_2020!

I hope it helps because the new app is literally unusable, let me know if it works, so we can advise others. 

Userlevel 3

Rediculous that it will take that long to reinstate features that should never have been taken away. Better than nothing but mid June is far away, can’t believe we’ll have to deal with this rubbish app for that long.

@Sonos, why can’t you just make the old app available and let us install it instead and forget about the mess you created with this new app. If I was in charge I would scrap the new app entirely and forget that it ever happened, it is an embarrassment. Why make loyal customers wait months while their systems are useless.

Its possible to re-download the older app version from mirror sites.  Someone sent me a link and now I'm enjoying my music library again. 

Userlevel 1

I recently bought 2 Sonos Move speakers on the assumption that I could use the Sonos app to access my 120k tracks on my Synology NAS. Finding that Sonos could only handle 65k tracks was a disappointment, but at least I could access the most important stuff on my personal library using the app. Now with the app update my ability to use my personal library is effectively limited to things that start with ‘A’ . NO rapid scrolling, NO jumping by alphabet, and NO searching. It seems like Sonos is planning to have support for personal libraries fade away. At least I am within the return window on Amazon for the speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge

There are other products out there I will be researched. It's like Sonos some of the planned obsolescence cast boff from Apple. Need to learn how to go back to the old program. This SUCKS. 17yr user is ready to punt

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I can only think they have made some kind of deal with streaming services? Why would they do this otherwise?

Dead right. Aimed at generating more revenue by directing you to where they want you to go and they where they will pick up payment for each user. Absolutely disgraceful.

Hola, pensaba que Sonos era una empresa diferente tanto en productos, software y atención a sus clientes pero tras esta actualización de la aplicación se encaminan hacia un futuro con un camino equivocado. No permitir el acceso a las bibliotecas locales para que los usuarios puedan disfrutar de ellas en sus productos va a hacer que su empresa sea del montón y muchas personas no elegirán comprar sus altavoces y los que somos clientes nos querremos marchar. Es irrespetuoso hacia quienes tenemos sonos y es arriesgado para los nuevos. 

Espero rectificación pero mientras esto no ocurra la mejor opción es quitar la nueva aplicación y reinstalar la inmediatamente anterior.

Gracias y ojalá lo arreglen

Userlevel 2
Badge

Total screw up!

disrespectful to customers by people who do not understand their customer base similar to other US companies driving away the core base.

when I updated the search etc disappeared but the next day the source also disappeared. Tried the usual reboot of device, router etc but nothing.

needs fixing NOW not mid June or whatever

had sonos for well over 10 years

This change really makes the product less interesting and I regret buying so many.
When I read about the changes I was really hoping to be able to keep the old app but the new one was forced on me!
Now I suddenly can find my library but only play one song at the time. Not a complete record.

Userlevel 2
Badge

This change really makes the product less interesting and I regret buying so many.
When I read about the changes I was really hoping to be able to keep the old app but the new one was forced on me!
Now I suddenly can find my library but only play one song at the time. Not a complete record.

My NAS has now disappeared completely from the app

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

My NAS has now disappeared completely from the app

Mine too. It does seem to be getting progressively worse on the new app, thankfully I can still access via the old one but not everyone is so fortunate. And there was I about to shell out for an Amp, Beam and mini-Sub. Just glad all this happened first as those sales have now been lost, along with all trust in Sonos.

Userlevel 1

I hope it helps because the new app is literally unusable, let me know if it works, so we can advise others. 

I found that the macOS desktop version of the Sonos app has not yet been updated with the new changes. So I will be strictly using the Desktop app until they appease us folks.

It’s a bit annoying to have to use a computer to easily access my personal library, but it certainly beats having to scroll for 20 minutes in the mobile app.

Userlevel 3

Is there any news if they also bring the Sonos playlists back in the new app? Over the last 10 years I have created many of those and no way to see them or start them with the new app. I know they are still on the system but I cannot understand this is also gone. Even when you only use streaming services, you might combine a playlist with content from different services. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I really am not sure where to turn… This New App will not browse to my library folders and play or que up the contents of a folder. Since the new app, it will only que ONE SONG at a time?! This has ruined how our household uses your product entirely, as everyone in our household uses our servers for music streaming to various locations in the home. This feature is why we have continued to grow our Sonos product line, but now - we have a house of speakers that can play one song at a time?  Can we fix or roll-back this now vs waiting and hoping ? 

This is a death sentence for them. I'm not buying Sonos again if I can't search my library.

Userlevel 1

Just found this thread as I was trying to figure out why I could no longer search my library, what an absolute disgrace of Sonos to remove such basic functionality.

this is exceptionally poor, trying to use the app to find My music to play on My system was making me so angry and to find out it was deliberately has infuriated me.

I’ve just added 2 ERA300’s to my setup and won’t be adding anymore Sonos speakers unless this is resolved.

I refuse to pay monthly subscriptions for everything.

Userlevel 1

Sonos - what were you thinking!?

Did you seriously think you'd get away with this sleight of hand, this virtual overnight, unannounced theft of our lovingly-collected tracks and special recordings curated for our unique playlists?

Yes, just like so many others who've written in, my Sonos system has been rendered useless and I'm cancelling my Deezer subscription service since it can no longer serve its purpose. You've given us instead thousands of radio options, none of which carries the music I love in a form I can play my way when I want it.

So, Sonos, what are you going to do about it? When are you going to respond with an apology and the restoration of a service that was truly revolutionary?

I discovered this backward step when reading a review of the app, and of the new web based version for desktop - both of which lose this Music Library Search, the old desktop app still has it, but that is not being updated as far as I know, so at some point this will disappear.

I guess the tech reason for it is that all the data comes from the cloud so they’ll need to sync info from our local libraries to the cloud for the apps to see it.

As an aside, I have a Plex server running which also points to my Music Library - this is great for streaming your music on your phone away from home. Plex can be added to Sonos as a service and is searchable - not tested it much though.

Not ideal, but might be a good work around until they fix it (which I’m sure they will), I don't know what proportion of Sonos users use local Music Libraries a lot but my guess would be a reasonable minority so the app’s first release has been targeted at the majority (all a guess).

Yours hopefully,

Gav

PS - quote from another Topic “In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.”

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

They shouldn't be aiming to keep the majority happy, or the minority. With what people have spent on Sonos equipment they should be keeping EVERYBODY happy, not A at the expense of B. By their own admission they are so swamped with complaints about this app update that they can't keep up. Big mistake. Huge.

It smacks if the New Coke fiasco from the 80s. I expect nothing less than a grovelling apology at some point and I may need an incentive if I am to expand my system any further.

@RoyBucks I agree, but my guess is that they prioritised one over the other to get the app out. Maybe there was some other time pressure such as the removal of the insecure SMB1 which has security risks. Time will tell.