Skip to main content

Bring Back SMBv1 for legacy devices

Would it be possible to reinstate the SMBV1 protocol (alongside V2/3) to allow older file servers/storage to be used, for example, some usb file storage on wifi routers.? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Probably not but it is cheap and easy to make an SMB v1 to SMB v2/v3 gateway that will handle the translation.

Here using a Raspberry Pi but anything supporting SMB v1 should do the trick.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Probably not but it is cheap and easy to make an SMB v1 to SMB v2/v3 gateway that will handle the translation.

Here using a Raspberry Pi but anything supporting SMB v1 should do the trick.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Thanks. But I already have a nice small file storage device (travel router).  This has worked flawlessly for years UNTIL the firmware update recently which killed off SMBv1.

An unnecessary 'improvement' in my book. 

There are some widely known (in the hacker community) SMBv1 security flaws. More and more systems are blocking the use of SMBv1. You cannot claim that a system is “secure” if it supports SMBv1.

Oh well, the device cannot be updated, so just another candidate for landfill.  It took Sonos over a decade to plug the security loophole.  How many recorded or reported hacking incidents have there been until a couple of weeks ago?  Any? None? 

Does anybody know if SMBV2 works now with the Music Library setup? 

Does SMBV2 work for the Music Library?  Surely, somebody must know... 

Does SMBV2 work for the Music Library?  Surely, somebody must know... 

Yes it does.

FYI Sonos has not removed smbv1 from their S1 system so you could roll back if your speakers support s1. Well except you can’t right now because they removed this feature in the new app of course. 

Right.  I may have found a solution for low-cost replacement of old NAS devices which no longer work. 

There are low cost (30 usd) small travel routers (eg. TP-Link 750) which offer usb file storage.  These operate as LAN accessible file servers also (usually for transferring photo files, etc).  The latest models have samba v2 protocols.  Unobtrusive, low power consumption, cheap.  Probably only suitable for smaller file libraries. 

So, based on past experience with a similar device but which only has SMBv1, it should be possible to use one of these small devices with your music files on an appropriate USB stick, to create a working Music Library for the new S2 app.

I may give it a go... Unless somebody else is willing to try it out.? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you want cheap a Raspberry Pi Zero is the way to go for an SMB server. Mine runs with no issues for months on end.

If you want cheap a Raspberry Pi Zero is the way to go for an SMB server. Mine runs with no issues for months on end.

Yes, but too much configuring with Linux.  I want a plug'n'play solution, or as close as possible! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Cheap is often a bit more work but this is a 30 minute install following the guide then copy/paste the Samba stuff job.

I was quite happy with my WD Western Digital NAS until it dropped out of support and security fixes far too soon and became scrap.