Skip to main content
Question

Best Router Settings

• 19 June 2024
  • 2 replies

I recently installed an Orbi Mesh system. Things were working fairly well with Sonos but was having a couple aggravating issues and so I reached out to Netgear Support. One of my issues was that when listening to Apple Music, songs would occasionally stop and 5s or so later, the music would start again at the next song. As well, sometimes when grouping or un-grouping zones, I was getting an inconsistent response in the App. It would take too long to perform whatever operation I had attempted. Finally, in my 5.1 set-up the two Play 1’s and Sub were showing as disconnected but were in fact working (this is still the case). 

Netgear support had me change the MTU on the router from 1500 to 1460. They also had me change the 2.4ghz from Auto to channel 6.  I believe Sonos recommends the 2.4ghz to be on Auto? The 5ghz was already set to what she recommended. 

All of this occurred around the same time that Sonos also pushed out updates. My system does seem to be working better but I don’t know if it was the Netgear changes or the Sonos changes. 

Looking for some opinions, are these changes appropriate or should I switch them back to what they were (Auto and MTU1500) from a Sonos and Networking perspective?

Thanks!

2 replies

I can’t speak to your specific router settings but FYI there are thousands of posts by people having issues with the new app, so this could be your issue. Reliability and stability are getting better for some as Sonos releases updates that include new features and bug fixes. Apple Music recently switched to lossless and there seems to some issues for Apple or Sonos to work out.

Anyway as a next step, if you think the issues are unrelated to the app you might want to contact Sonos support by phone or chat, but the wait will be long (2hrs?). 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi thanks for that. I know recent changes have been causing chaos all over the place. Was more curious about the specific router changes and if anyone with networking knowledge could speak to whether they were a good suggestion.  Thought about asking support but as you said….not up for that kind of wait :)