Skip to main content

Over the past couple of weeks, when I am playing 93.1 / WXRT radio over Audacy on any of my Sonos speakers (Sonos 1, Play 3, Playbar) the music cuts off and usually restarts after a few seconds, sometimes it randomly drops the station altogether.  It is very frustrating to listen this way.  I had been successfully listening for years with no problems.  I can stream my Apple music, all day long, with no issues of music cutting in and out,

I get the same results when I launch the radio station thru Alexa using my voice, or thru the Sonos app on my phone.

Anyone else experience Audacy radio stations cutting in and out?

Since this issue seems to be only with Audacy / WXRT, based on your description, I’m guessing one of two things. Either the station itself (through Audacy’s servers) has an individual issue, or they’ve made a change in a DNS along the way.

To resolve the first, you’d actually need to contact Audacy themselves, or possibly WXRT. Not being familiar with that station, I don’t know who runs the server.

If, however, it is the latter issue, you can resolve it yourself, by powering down your Sonos speakers (unplug them), then rebooting your router. This will force the router to reach out through your ISP to get a refreshed set of DNS data, and then, when you plug back in your Sonos devices, they’ll get that refreshed data from your router. 

However, ( and I’m trying to add this all the time ) if this doesn’t resolve the cut outs of the music, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the Support staff, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Bruce, 

Thank you for your detailed and clear instructions.  I followed your second recommendation first (unplug Sonos and reboot router).  This sounded like a reasonable approach, but it did not solve the problem.  

I then tried another Chicago based station on Audacy, and did not have the issue.  But I also didn’t listen to it very long (not a fan of their music).  Went back to WXRT and still have the cut out issue.  Some historical insight here… when Audacy started out, I’d request WXRT and it would start up right away.  Later, and at least for the last year, about 50% of the time, a commercial will play, and then the station will play.  This “commercial” is one that Audacy is playing, not WXRT, because once the commercial ends, if a song was playing it will start up in progress, or if WXRT was playing a commercial, it will start at that point.  OK, with that background, I’d say that Audacy is causing the problems.  I was listening just now, and it cut out, paused and then a Aucacy based commercial played, then the song resumed further into its playing time.    

At a future date when I have more time, I will take your Sonos system diagnostic approach.  I’ll update all after I do this.