Answered

Are there any mp3 players that have the Sonos 1 app pre-installed?

• 23 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Are there any mp3 players that have the Sonos 1 app pre-installed?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 23 May 2023, 22:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

No.  The Sonos app is available on android and iOS devices as well as PC and Mac.  The Sonos app also is a controller only, a remote for Sonos devices.  The app does not actually play music itself.

What are you trying to accomplish?  

I’m trying to use the Sonos 1 app on a cheap Android mp3 player. I want to connect to my two Sonos Moves installed on a boat dock where I do not want to use my cell phone.

Get a player that has bluetooth capabilities.  You would only be able to connect to 1 of the Moves, not both.  You would need a WiFi connection and internet access to use the Sonos app or voice control to instruct the Moves to play streaming audio from a service...not the mp3s stored on an android device.

I have Wi-Fi and internet access at the dock. I don’t want to connect to my two Moves with Bluetooth because I then loose the paired stereo function of the two Moves. All I need is  the Sonos 1 app installed on an Android mp3 player, that it the reason for my initial question. I’m not trying to play mp3 files on the Android mp3 player. I just want to use Sonos to stream music from the internet to my two Moves.Most people use their cell phone for this purpose, but I don’t want to use my cell phone on the dock and risk dropping it in the lake. 

As Danny has already indicated, there is no mp3 player with a Sonos connection built in. 

Yes, there are several MP3 players that can have the Sonos app installed on them. I am looking for an MP3 player with the Sonos app pre-installed, but it looks like I will have to settle for an MP3 player with a web browser and access to the Google Play store so I can download and install the Sonos 1 app myself. I just have to make sure the MP3 player runs Android version 8 or or higher so that it is compatible with the Sonos 1 app.

I have Wi-Fi and internet access at the dock. I don’t want to connect to my two Moves with Bluetooth because I then loose the paired stereo function of the two Moves. All I need is  the Sonos 1 app installed on an Android mp3 player, that it the reason for my initial question. I’m not trying to play mp3 files on the Android mp3 player. I just want to use Sonos to stream music from the internet to my two Moves.Most people use their cell phone for this purpose, but I don’t want to use my cell phone on the dock and risk dropping it in the lake. 

You got me curious and I did a little research on “android mp3” players and I got a better idea of what you’re going for.   Most of them don’t let you install apps yourself (hence why you’re asking about preloading)  but I did see some one that did.  The only catch was that it’s using android 8.1, and Sonos currently supports 8 and above.  It may work for a while, and have basic functions after support is done, but not ideal at all. 

I think you are better off getting a cheap android tablet than mp3 player.  Amazon fire tablets are an option too.  Here’s a $60 tablet from walmart that’s on android 11.  

Thanks. I found an Android mp3 player that runs Android version 10, but your idea about a cheap Android tablet should work better.