Apple Music - poor implementation in the app for music selection & navigation

• 13 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi,

I am wondering who is responsible for implementing the individual music services in Sonos, e.g. Apple Music?

Actually I changed my music service from amazon music unlimited to Apple Music.

But the navigation and the options for selecting music, genres and playlists are an absolute disaster.

In amazon Music it's very simple and with just a few clicks I can select playlists by genre or mood.

So there are three steps in amazon music and then a lot of different playlists.

In Apple Music, on the other hand, it is not even possible to select playlists, not to mention genres, on the Apple Music start page. This is the complete starting point of Apple Music. There is no possibility for choosing Genres/Playlists - the playlists on top are only my own chosen ones in my personal music library:

It's practically impossible for me to discover new music from the Apple Music home page, because the "standards" that otherwise appear, such as Top 100, are of no interest to me at all.

As I only listen to music on Sonos and not via the apps of the streaming services, Apple Music is implemented here in an absolutely unsatisfactory way.

So who is in a position to improve this situation for the benefit of the user?

Regards
Voodoopupp

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Apple chooses what content they want to display in the Sonos App, but perhaps try the new search facility in the Sonos App, see screenshot examples.

@voodopupp I’m an Apple Music user as well. I share your frustration with this on Sonos. 

I’ve  also subscribed and used with Sonos a lot of other music services (Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, Nugs, Sirius).

IME All these services have a very poor Sonos integration that are missing key features and have performance issues.

It’s not just Apple Music.

It’s a Sonos thing. 

Badge

@Ken_Griffiths 

I see your point and that is actually truly the only way to get some ideas.

But how the hell should one be able to find Playlists for the mood “motivation” with these kind of titles:

I think you can see the problem - the integration of it is really poor and if this will not get better, then I think it is the best way to move along from Sonos and go back to bluetooth speakers and use the Apps of the music streaming services…

This is really a mess, because the other way around I like my wifi speakers too much :D

Badge

@voodopupp I’m an Apple Music user as well. I share your frustration with this on Sonos. 

I’ve  also subscribed and used with Sonos a lot of other music services (Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, Nugs, Sirius).

IME All these services have a very poor Sonos integration that are missing key features and have performance issues.

It’s not just Apple Music.

It’s a Sonos thing. 

Hey Bumper,

thanks for your opinion - as you already have used some of the big players as well, is there some which is a little better implemented into Sonos? I will not like to go back to amazon music, because there the music app really sucks and I try to get away from amazon ecosystem in general….

Tidal wasn’t good enough (for me) because there were to many problems with finding radio plays for kids, and this is a must for my three boys ;)

I just search/add the playlists I need/want in Apple’s Music App to my library and they appear (as if by magic 😁) in the Sonos App under my playlists. Or I can just search for a playlist via Sonos, as described. It’s not something I have an issue with, personally speaking. I just do the same/similar thing with Amazon Music too.

Badge

Yeah, this way is okay for playlists I want to listen over and over again. But not, e.g. if my wife is sitting at home with a friend of her and drinks coffee, and wants to listen to some new chilled music in the background. Or if some friends of the kids are here and they want to listen to some funny music in the garden...

It is like you are getting into the supermarket and just have some things in your brain:
chocolate, bread, yoghurt, etc. - then the possibilty to “search” for them is okay.
But by just walking through the store you see some canned ravioli and you think: “oh yeah, that is what I like now” ;)

I hope you see the point:
the search will only give me back things im looking for exactly. But not to find new things I was not really looking for…

Also it is far from perfect to need to go into the Apps of the streaming services just to find what you may like and then go back to the Sonos app to look for it in the end.

It’s like you need to go to your laptop first to look in the web for the TV programm, and then after finding what you like, go back to TV and watch it. No, mostly you just open TV and zap through the programms and just stay on the first you thing you like.

At the moment, I can’t see Apple, or Amazon, giving away everything to Sonos, as no one would then use their ‘native’ Apps. In my use-case. I just use a mixture of those Apps and the Sonos App. In some cases I use ‘Airplay’ or ‘Direct Control’ and just use the Amazon App, rather than opening the Sonos App, it’s a case of horses for courses, rather than a one stop shop.