Answered

Apple Music library not syncing to Sonos library

• 11 March 2024
  • 8 replies

I have three pairs of Play:3’s and an Ikea Symphonisk Frame speaker. All updated to their latest versions, and running on the latest S2 control software on an iPhone. 
I normally manage my music library in Apple Music, adding tracks or albums there, and then any additions sync across to my Sonos library. 
All was working until about two or three weeks ago. 
Now if I add a track or album to my Apple Music library, it does not appear in the Sonos library. 

I have managed to get it to resync by deleting the Sonos app from my phone, then reinstalling the Sonos app. This sometimes restores the missing music, but not always. But it does not make the syncing work again, so any newly added music won’t sync. 
I'm finding this very frustrating as I can’t reliably play any new music from Apple Music. Any suggestions appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 March 2024, 12:36

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Syncing isn’t done through your Sonos phone app but your desktop Sonos app which should be setup to use your local (paid or ripped) songs in your Apple Music desktop app as your Music Library. In addition, syncing usually only occurs once per day, so if you add new music, you’ll need to force the sync by selecting Manage > Update Music Library Now in your Sonos desktop app. 

Many thanks Nollind for your reply. 
Just to clarify, I’m not storing music on iTunes or a my own server, but purely using the Apple Music streaming service. 
I don’t have a desktop computer, so I’ve never had or used the Sonos desktop app. I’ve always used my iPhone as the sole means of control, and despite this, all was working fine until a few weeks ago. 

Sounds like there is something blocking the Sonos devices from reaching out to get any updates to the playlists from Apple’s servers, although I’d think you’d lose the whole connection, and not be able to play any older stuff, either. 

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Many thanks Nollind for your reply. 
Just to clarify, I’m not storing music on iTunes or a my own server, but purely using the Apple Music streaming service. 
I don’t have a desktop computer, so I’ve never had or used the Sonos desktop app. I’ve always used my iPhone as the sole means of control, and despite this, all was working fine until a few weeks ago. 

Ah ok. When using Apple Music as a music service, it’s not “syncing” (i.e. keeping a separate copy of your Apple Music library on your Sonos device) but rather it’s directly accessing your music library on the Apple Music servers each time you open the Sonos app. I know the terminology can be confusing but trying to clarify helps out in solving issues. That said, I should have verified my assumption with you first.

All said and done, @Airgetlam suggestion is correct. There could be a myriad of factors causing this. For example, I had to reboot my routers and Sonos speakers yesterday because I suddenly couldn’t play music from Amazon Music. No idea why it suddenly stopped but rebooting everything fixed it. Talking to a Sonos rep will help them determine what you will need to do to resolve your issue. Hope it’s a simple fix and you can get back to enjoying your music. 

Thanks Nollind and Bruce, I’ll give your suggestions a try and see how I get on. I’ll update the thread if I can get it fixed!

I’ve been pulling my hair out for the last two days trying to have Sonos recognize the music I recently downloaded from the iTunes store. After speaking with three people at Sonos, downloading new software, and syncing my older music, no one solved the “new music” problem. They suggested I ask  Apple—no answers there. Sonos and Apple need to talk. Sounds like this has been going on for a while.

No progress I’m afraid. I’ve also had an hour with Sonos support and a call to Apple support, with the same result as jpear1y - both blaming each other. 

My guess is that the fault is with Sonos, as lots of apps use the Apple Music API. 

I assume not enough people are experiencing or reporting this for anything to be done about it. 

Sonos doesn’t use the Apple API, Apple uses the Sonos Music API, known as SMAPI.