Answered

Apple Music curated playlists search issue (English vs. localized)

• 30 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have the following issue:

I found a curated playlist using Apple’s iOS “Music” app.
Playlist is named “Club des années 80 : les indispensables” (my iPhone configured in French).

Now I want to play it using Sonos iOS app, but the issue is that it won’t show when searching…

After trying and trying (and trying...) I finally found out that:

• The playlist “Club des années 80 : les indispensables” also as an English name that’s “80’s Club Essentials”
  • If I input the English name on the Sonos iOS app search box, I then get the “Club des années 80 : les indispensables” result offered.

So, there’s somehow an issue in my Sonos iOS app: 

• it will search only the English name of playlists
  • but it will display results with the “local name” for the language the controller app is running  (i.e French on my iPhone (configured in French).

Is this a bug? or can I configure somewhere the language used for searches?

I’ve checked my iOS Sonos app preferences, there’s with French as primary language.
(iOS 15.3 / Sonos app 14.0 / sent a diagnostic #211957407)

icon

Best answer by controlav 30 January 2022, 23:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

That may not be an answer that Sonos can provide. The controller sends the search request to Apple, and Apple chooses how to interpret it, and what data to send back to Sonos, who’s main responsibility is to merely display what they’ve been handed by Apple. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yeah it sounds like a bug in the Apple SMAPI service. All SMAPI calls are passed a locale, and it seems that the Search API ignores it, but everything else respects it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ok I debugged it in my own app, running in a French locale, and can confirm this is a bug in Apple’s implementation of Search.

Thanks for taking the effort to confirm the logic assumption I took, sir. 

Badge

Ok I debugged it in my own app, running in a French locale, and can confirm this is a bug in Apple’s implementation of Search.

Hi!

Thanks for investigating this!

I assume you are a registered Apple developer… would you (and Sonos if you read this) be able to report this bug to Apple?

Thanks.

Thomas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi!

Thanks for investigating this!

I assume you are a registered Apple developer… would you (and Sonos if you read this) be able to report this bug to Apple?

Thanks.

Thomas.

I just do iOS apps “in my garage”, I have no magical access to Apple Support, sorry. I wish! Maybe try asking in some kind of Apple Music support area? If you share a link after you ask, I can add some additional technical data.