Answered

App wont connect

• 24 March 2024
  • 6 replies

I have 4 Play 1’s, a Boost and a Connect. Wife and I both have iPhones with the app. Her phone has no problem connecting and using the speakers. My phone says it can't connect to the system. When I go to trouble shoot it says it says it see all of my units but when I go through the steps to reconnect, it says it can't connect. Tried uninstalling and re-installing the app. No good. I love my speakers but I have more issues like this over the last couple years than I care to remember. Anyone have any ideas why my phone would have problems and not my wife's? Any solutions for a fix?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 March 2024, 13:05

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

First things for you to answer as we need more information are:

• What model of phone do you have (iPhone or Android)?
  • What iOS or Android version is the phone running?
  • What is the total amount of internal storage?
  • How much of the internal storage is available for use?

My wife and I have the exact same phones but here is the info:

Iphone SE, iOS 17.3, 128 GB w/ 36 GB available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Any chance her phone is connecting on your 2.4 GHz WiFi and yours is trying the 5 GHZ WiFi instead?

Userlevel 7

Hi

Thanks for the info on your phone. As @Stanley_4 mentioned we need to look at your network/connection. Also, might your device be connecting to a “guest” network which Sonos can’t or refuses to see?

Or a mesh system/extenders, or the like. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GW326 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear of the problem you’re having getting your iPhone to connect to your Sonos system - and for so long!

As the above, excellent advice highlights, the issue likely lies with your phone configuration, or your network configuration/topology. As it’s been long-term, I think it is most likely due to your phone. Was your iPhone provided to you by your work, by any chance? If so, it may have restrictions imposed upon it that only your place of work’s IT department would be able to resolve. Alternatively, if you have VPN software installed, that could also cause the problem you describe. 

There is also a setting on iPhones that can disrupt normal functionality of the Sonos app:

Disabling MAC Randomization

1. Open the Settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod, then tap Wi-Fi or WLAN.
  2. Tap the information button next to your network.
  3. Turn off Private Address.
  4. Re-join the network.

I’m confident that the solution to your problem now lies somewhere in this thread, but if the issue persists no matter what you try, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.