Answered

App loses connection to devices when logged in!

• 10 December 2022
  • 44 replies

I’ve been struggling with the Sonos S2 app. All works fine with the app until I log in. At that point, all of my devices become unavailable. If I log out, close the app and go back in, my devices become available again. Clearly there’s something in my profile that’s completely screwed up. I’ve tried countless times to reconnect the devices, but the app always fails once I log in. It seems like I have to delete my account and recreate it, but that may be extreme (and might mess up my registrations).

Of course, despite my system working fine when I’m not logged into the app, I lose access to all of my services unless I’m logged in.

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 December 2022, 23:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Do you have more than one Sonos account?

What Sonos speakers etc; do you see in your Sonos account(s) online when you login with same credentials that you’re using in the App. I would just note the email address/password carefully, as they are case sensitive.

You can go here to check your list of devices under the ‘System’ tab when you login with same credentials:

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/

Ken,

As far as I know, I only have one account. When logging in using the same credentials as the app, I see all of my devices listed under Support.

If all the Sonos speakers ‘disappear’ every time you login into the App, and you are sure you do not have another Sonos account, it might be best to first try transferring your system (when all devices are visible in the App) to your known Sonos account credentials. See this link: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/transfer-your-sonos-system-to-a-new-account

If that does not fix things, then try a Sonos App reset in ‘Settings/App Preferences’ - that will log you out the App and reset it.. just slide the reset App off screen.

Next open the App and step through the opening screens and accept T&C’s and local network/bluetooth access etc. When, or if, prompted, let the App connect back to the ‘existing’ Sonos System on your network and sign back into the App and see if that resolves it for you… if not I suspect you may have accidentally created another Sonos account, or there maybe a problem with your existing account and so I would then perhaps contact the Sonos support staff via this link below, to perhaps resolve the matter with them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Hope the above helps you to get things sorted.

I have a similar thing going on. Wherever I log in, I lose connection to my devices. Done the steps in here but still not fixed

So what did Sonos support say when you contacted them?

I’m experiencing the same issue: did you solve it?
Thanks!

Badge

Same problem here (using android) 

With this bug I cannot be logged in and adjust audio settings or anything. 

Very frustrating. 

Tried my wife's phone (iPhone) and the same exact problem. 

Does Sonos support know that we are multiple people sharing this same problem? 

Jonas

Probably not, unless you’ve submitted a diagnostic, and called them. While the Forum moderators read this forum, Support does not. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ah ha. I am not going crazy. I have the exact same problem. Tried on multiple different devices and it is eerily reproducible. I spent a few hours on chat with support *before* identifying that this is the issue (we were going round and round with my wifi setup, etc). It seems that somehow, when not logged in, the status of the system is gleaned from the local network (and works fine) but when logged in, it is gleaned from the account and there, all hell breaks loose. I tried removing ad blockers and what not to no avail (in particular, the sonos system “phones home” which I typically block but even allowing that does not fix this). I will be calling support tomorrow again to see what they have to say and mention that I am not the only one.

For me btw, it’s not always *all devices* that become unavailable. It’s a random combination of them. Sometimes I just see the sub, sometimes the arc and one of the surrounds, etc. It’s very very weird.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Related topic (there is a Sonos person on that one so maybe a bit more viz): 

Badge

I have had Beam2 for a week and have similar issues. Whenever I open the app I get the ‘cannot connect to devices’ message. I then go through the two step process of connection; first the search then the router reboot, which restores the connection. I switch off power at night so I have this process every day.

I spend most of today first on chat support then on telephone support and been left with an unresolved issue. The only observation in wrapping up with the tech guy was that my WiFi maybe “intermittant” and I would be better on a 5gH band. I am using 2.4 gH because my Android phone does not have dual band capacity. I checked the 2.4 gH Wifi signal afterwards and it is max: -40dbm! 

So it looks like I am left with a home cinema speaker for my TV which works fine, but no use of the Beam’s much mooted streaming capacity like Spotify.

Just a bit miffed...

I'm experiencing the exact same problem as everyone here and I also have an Android app. The behavior is that whenever you log into Sonos account on my Sonos tab, it loses the connection to the system. Someone else above explained it well when they said that reading directory info from the server on Sonos conflicts with the local area network setup. The local experience is accurate while the logged in experience creates the problem. 

I would also say that this thread is effectively not answered or solved because there are still many users who are experiencing flavors of the same problem.

The solution to the problem is currently to sign out of the device, force stop the app and then restart. Or you can reset the app from the app preferences and then go through the whole setup again and join an existing system. This will help you gain access to your devices again and get the app out of the loop of not recognizing any device even after you are signed out. It does not solve the problem of logging into the Sonos app and losing your system. The behavior and problem are replicable when you log into mysonos.

I would suggest that, based on the posts in this thread, no one has followed @Ken_Griffiths suggestion to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. Without hard data in a diagnostic, that only they can read, we’re all reduced to mere speculation. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Airgetlam : definitely called support (I posted my experience with them in the other thread I linked to which describes a similar problem). I am supposed to get a call back for further troubleshooting.

Glad to hear at least one person is providing them hard data to look at. 

Badge

In response to Airgetlam a big part of my frustration is that I spent half a day with Sonos Support (Chat and telephone) and was not able to resolve the matter. 

Another aspect of this process that I found confusing was that during the process of testing and generating logs the tele-tech commented that my App was connected at the same time as my App was saying that it could not find my sonos device. Perhaps there is a lag factor involved?

We tested the connection several times over an hour or so because switching power to the Beam off and on again resulted in loss of connection between the App and the beam. This I think lead the tech to conclude that my WiFi signal was intermittant although later testing with a WiFi analysis app showed no sign of signal intermittance. I was left with the feeling that the logs did not reflect the actual situation. It also occured to me that the Beam needed another Sonos device to create the Sonos net effectively. However I note from other reports that multi-device setups are having similar issues.

The impression left with me by the tech was to connect to a 5gh WiFi signal or an ethernet cable and my problem will be solved. It would be helpful to hear from anyone whether this possible solution has been tried and proven.

My setup is an Optus 2nd gen dual band Router connected to NBN via fibre to the kerb. It is in a room adjacent to the loungeroom where my Beam is with the smart TV. The connection to the TV is via ARC HDMI and works fine as far as volume is concerned. Being able to adjust quaility via the App is problematic as explained above.

Thanks to all for their input.

Userlevel 2
Badge

My arc is hard wired. No difference. Also spent a huge amount of time with support figuring out if my local network was the issue. I think they have a script to go through so I don’t blame them but it is frustrating. I drew the line at “why don’t you wire the arc directly to the router (as opposed to through a dumb switch)” and “why don’t you completely switch wifi network” (in my case network topology would not have changed). I am hopeful that I am now at the point where they understand that it is not a LAN problem but more something to do with how the devices register remotely. I did muck around with vpn (I have a whole house vpn on the router) and diversion (DNS based ad blocker since it blocks the Sonos products from phoning home) but no change. I am fairly sure it is something they changed on their end (it worked fine before) and we just have to wade through the “is it plugged in” type of questions before we get to actual solutions. Definitely frustrating. 

In response to Airgetlam a big part of my frustration is that I spent half a day with Sonos Support (Chat and telephone) and was not able to resolve the matter. 

Another aspect of this process that I found confusing was that during the process of testing and generating logs the tele-tech commented that my App was connected at the same time as my App was saying that it could not find my sonos device. Perhaps there is a lag factor involved?

We tested the connection several times over an hour or so because switching power to the Beam off and on again resulted in loss of connection between the App and the beam. This I think lead the tech to conclude that my WiFi signal was intermittant although later testing with a WiFi analysis app showed no sign of signal intermittance. I was left with the feeling that the logs did not reflect the actual situation. It also occured to me that the Beam needed another Sonos device to create the Sonos net effectively. However I note from other reports that multi-device setups are having similar issues.

The impression left with me by the tech was to connect to a 5gh WiFi signal or an ethernet cable and my problem will be solved. It would be helpful to hear from anyone whether this possible solution has been tried and proven.

My setup is an Optus 2nd gen dual band Router connected to NBN via fibre to the kerb. It is in a room adjacent to the loungeroom where my Beam is with the smart TV. The connection to the TV is via ARC HDMI and works fine as far as volume is concerned. Being able to adjust quaility via the App is problematic as explained above.

Thanks to all for their input.

Seems like one, or two, are experiencing this issue, looking through the thread here - I guess the reasons for it happening can be many. However, I’m just wondering if anyone has (yet) tried switching their Sonos system between a WiFi and SonosNet connection (or vice versa) just to see if that (perhaps) makes any difference to the issue they’re seeing🤔?

Note, after switching between the connection types, it pays to reboot all devices …and if moving from SonosNet to WiFi, to also first ensure the correct local wireless network credentials are stored on all devices and showing in the Sonos App network settings.

I’m just wondering if the connection-change mentioned might resolve the disappearing device issue.

Here is a helpful support page if anyone who still has this issue, would like to try it out.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

Note: The above is just a suggestion and I’m not sure if it will work, but certainly something I would have tried myself, if I had experienced the same issue with my own setup.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Tried all that. SonosNet, no SonosNet, same thing. Reset all devices, reconnected, etc. Same thing. It’s almost certainly not a local network thing. At least for me. 

Tried all that. SonosNet, no SonosNet, same thing. Reset all devices, reconnected, etc. Same thing. It’s almost certainly not a local network thing. At least for me. 

Ah well it was just a thought - did you try a different DNS server on your router too?

Badge

Update and problem identified: It is the phone!

Remember my comment in an earlier post: ...”during the process of testing and generating logs the tele-tech commented that my App was connected at the same time as my App was saying that it could not find my sonos device”.

I had another support session via phone this morning for over an hour.

I purchased a 5m ethernet cable and moved the Beam to be near the router and plugged it in to try out this option for resolving the WiFi connection issues. The Sonos app on my phone could not handle the change from wifi to ethernet (could not disable WiFi) so I rang support.

Jeff (sonos support) ran logistics and confimed that the Beam was connected, but my Sonos app on phone did not agree. He requested remote connection with my PC to check my WiFi system and found that to be OK. 

He then switched to accessing the Beam from my PC after downloading the Sonos App for Windows 10. No trouble. Instantly recognised and played some music.

We then returned the Beam to the TV room and reconnected with the TV and tested the connection, Still not able to connect using my Android phone. Logistics testing confirmed that the Beam was connected to to the WiFi  network. The PC could see it too.

We agreed the problem seemed to be my Samsung A12 Android phone. I later downloaded the App for my wifes A12 and replicated the problem. I also downloaded the APP for my Windows 10 Laptop and it worked perfectly straight up.

Conclusion is that the A12 Android phone is the problem, but not sure why.

Recommendation: Test connection using another device (a wireless Laptop probably a good option).

Badge

Erratum

Sorry, just noticed I neglected to add a sentence after the quote in my last post from a previous post.

I should have said that while the tech was saying the logistics logs confirmed the device (not the App) was connected, my App on the phone said it was not yet connected. That was the clue and this time the testing isolated the problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Narravic : I don’t think this proves that it is the app on the phone. On your PC, you are *not* logged in to your sonos account (at least on my Mac app, there is no option to log in) and, at least in my case, the Mac app is able to play music on the system (for that matter, the entire system works fine from the TV for example). My phone app can also see the whole system *when logged out* but not when logged in. So, if on your PC, you are not logged into the sonos account, I don’t think this shows that the issue is with the app.

Badge

I just double checked with my tablet (xiaomi) and it seems to work wheres both my galaxy s21 and my wife's iPhone demonstrates the problem explained above 🤔🤔🤔