Answered

another "unable to play" . . .

• 4 December 2022
  • 1 reply

I have a USB drive with all my music plugged into my “always on” PC and set up my music library to point to this D drive.  It worked for months, but now continually gets Unable To Play ‘xxxx’.  The Share //DONSNUC/D does not exist.  Same whether I play from the Sonos S1 app on the PC or on the phone or iPad.  If I go to Windows Exporer and click the D drive, then albums and click on something, it plays just fine via the Windows media player.  This is only a Music Library issue.  If I choose a TuneIn radio station, it’s OK.  What to do?

TIA   Don

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 December 2022, 13:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Don_23805 

Thanks for your post!

It makes sense that your computer can access the files from it’s drive, but can it access them via the network? If you go (in Windows) to Computer/PC » Network » [Network name of your PC] do you see the network share, and can you access it there? If not, file sharing may have been disabled on the computer.

Another possibility is that the computer may have seen a change in the network (for whatever reason) and decided to mark what it considers to be a “new network” as a Public one, meaning that it will refuse communications with other devices on the network.

And another is that there’s firewall software installed that is blocking the connection.

To be honest, I can think of many possibilities off the top of my head - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, and also to assist you with the fix.

Probably the easiest step to take that might fix the problem is to uninstall the Sonos app from your PC and reinstall it. If that doesn’t work, please call in (a phone call would be better suited to getting help on this particular issue than a chat).

I hope this helps.