Skip to main content
Question

Amazon Music no longer working

I am hoping that someone can assist with a major problem I have and this is not yet another 'new app problem'.

I have Amazon Music Unlimited connected to my (extensive) Sonos system. With the latest app update it has basically stopped working leaving me with limited misic. Behaviour is odd however mostly it just doesn't work and I get errors saying there is a problem with Amazon. However, every so often it does at least list some music, e.g a playlist. When I try to play it, it may work or skip a number of songs before finding one that plays. After that it will stop. If a speaker already had a music queue, you can hit play on the speaker and it works but stops after maybe 3 songs.

I have tried:

- uninstalling and reinstalling Sonos app

- re authorising Amazon Music

- other devices (same behaviour)

- contacting Sonos support (have an incident number but have to phone next week - will update if I find out more as I have sent diagnostics).

I attach screen shots as examples. I also have a video of it wildly skipping songs but don't seem to be able to upload.

Note other services work. Sonos Radio and Calm. Plus Amazon Music App itself works sweetly.

Help. I currently have a very expensive, unusable system.

Thanks

Submit diagnostics, guys

Submit diagnostics, guys

I did

Submit diagnostics, guys

I did

Done.

Music skipped a track

submitted diagnostic report

playing Nubya Garcia, album called source. Skipped track called ‘together is beautiful place to be’

apple iPad Air 3rd gen, iOS 17.6.1

amazon app 24.15.1.218548

UK based

Hi @furacaopr 

To be clear to everyone else, I am not saying that the following applies to anyone other than @furacaopr - I am not making sweeping statements about the issue you are all reporting (though the fact that we cannot reproduce does say something, I suppose).

In your case, @furacaopr, we’re still thinking it’s due to something local. Regardless of ethernet, 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz, and regardless of which speaker you use, we are seeing connection problems to Amazon that result in the dropouts you hear. In addition, we are unable to recreate the issue in our own testing. The speakers are reporting multiple attempts to reduce the bitrate of the incoming feed in order to improve things for you, but this is not working.

Do you see any issues when streaming video, or during any other intensive use of your internet connection?

Would you mind - please feel free to say “no” as it will be a bit of work - factory resetting your standalone speaker and adding it to a hotspot from a phone/tablet? Please be aware that you would need two devices - one to run the Sonos app, and one to provide the hotspot. We’d really like to see the behaviour when using a different internet connection. The process would be as follows:

• Factory reset the speaker
  • Start a hotspot on device 2 (We’ll call your device with the Sonos app that you’ve been using device 1)
  • Connect device 1 to device 2’s hotspot
  • Open the Sonos app on device 1
  • When the app can’t find a system, opt to create a new one
  • Setup the speaker
  • Add Amazon Music and test playback
  • Submit a support diagnostic
  • And to get back to current config, reset the speaker again, disconnect device 1 from hotspot and set speaker up on WiFi.

Thanks.

I was finally able to borrow my daughter's phone. Same skipping issue with diagnostics ending on 291.

I used her phone only to setup the system and I had to return it to her. So, I connected my laptop to my phone hotspot in order to search, play and submit diagnostics using the Windows app.

My phone, which was used as hotspot, was connected to LTE+ from Fido, not related in any way to my ISP, which is Bell Canada.

One more diagnostics ending on 080, before I restore my Play:1 to its original system

Hi @Sammo123 

Thanks for the diagnostic - although you use a different email here than for your Sonos system, I was able to find it. I’ll forward it to my colleague.

Hi, any update to this please? Anything we can try or do we need to wait for an update from sonos to amazon?

Hi @Sammo123 

Thanks for the diagnostic - although you use a different email here than for your Sonos system, I was able to find it. I’ll forward it to my colleague.

Hi, any update to this please? Anything we can try or do we need to wait for an update from sonos to amazon?

I am getting tired music is supose to be a joy sonos we have no joy amazon will not play at all on my 14 speaker system press play and noting returns to play button just tired and pissed off like the rest…..

I am getting tired music is supose to be a joy sonos we have no joy amazon will not play at all on my 14 speaker system press play and noting returns to play button just tired and pissed off like the rest…..

in your case I would perhaps get in touch with Sonos Support directly as Amazon Music is working for the majority of users and if you can’t get it to work at all, that sounds like an entirely different matter. Here is the link to give ‘em a call when you’re near your system.

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

There maybe a delay getting through in some instances (depending on local demand where you are) but it can be done when convenient to yourself and hopefully the Staff will be able to assist you to resolve the matter, once they have details of your local setup and diagnostic reports.

Hope that assists and hope you can get the matter resolved too.. I’ve just checked Amazon Music via the Sonos App and it’s working where I live, here in the UK.

The Sonos status page shows all is working okay too with that service.

https://status.sonos.com

in your case I would perhaps get in touch with Sonos Support directly as Amazon Music is working for the majority of users and if you can’t get it to work at all, that sounds like an entirely different matter. Here is the link to give ‘em a call when you’re near your system.

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

There maybe a delay getting through in some instances (depending on local demand where you are) but it can be done when convenient to yourself and hopefully the Staff will be able to assist you to resolve the matter, once they have details of your local setup and diagnostic reports.

Hope that assists and hope you can get the matter resolved too.. I’ve just checked Amazon Music via the Sonos App and it’s working where I live, here in the UK.

The Sonos status page shows all is working okay too with that service.

https://status.sonos.com

Seems odd that there is a few of us, all with the same issue, only with amazon music. Also, amazon support was basically useless and just blamed sonos

Just to add Bluesound users are experiencing similar issues with Amazon blaming Bluesound.

Seems odd that there is a few of us, all with the same issue, only with amazon music. Also, amazon support was basically useless and just blamed sonos

Maybe Amazon are doing some work in some locations but Amazon Music UHD, via Sonos App, is definitely working fine here at the moment. If the issue was everywhere then these boards usually light up when there’s a much wider outage of a service.

Hi All, 

I asked amazon support if known issue and is it being looked at. They said

Naif | Customer Service

Yes it is being looked into and our team is working on it to fix

Thanks to all who supplied diagnostics, and for your work @furacaopr!

My colleague is off today, but I have forwarded these all to him so he can review them on his return.

Many thanks again!

Got this update this morning.

I’m currently talking with someone from Amazon support… I’m sure other have done this, but hopefully if enough of us bring this to their attention, we may get some insight into this issue.

Ok, after spending a frustrating hour chatting with several Amazon support folks, I got nowhere. They kept wanting me to do all this stuff with the Alexa app, and I don’t use Alexa or any Amazon Echo products. I think were confusing my issue as one pertaining to Alexa or Echo speakers, and that doesn’t seem to be the case.

To reiterate, as of this past week, I cannot reliably play any music on my Sonos system using my Amazon Music Unlimited account that is my primary means of streaming music through the Sonos app.

When I select any music, if it plays at all, it only plays maybe a few seconds of a track before trying to skip to other tracks. Maybe it plays a few seconds of a song, maybe not. But it eventually skips through until it reaches the last track - then nothing. It’s useless.

Ok, after spending a frustrating hour chatting with several Amazon support folks, I got nowhere. They kept wanting me to do all this stuff with the Alexa app, and I don’t use Alexa or any Amazon Echo products. I think were confusing my issue as one pertaining to Alexa or Echo speakers, and that doesn’t seem to be the case.

To reiterate, as of this past week, I cannot reliably play any music on my Sonos system using my Amazon Music Unlimited account that is my primary means of streaming music through the Sonos app.

When I select any music, if it plays at all, it only plays maybe a few seconds of a track before trying to skip to other tracks. Maybe it plays a few seconds of a song, maybe not. But it eventually skips through until it reaches the last track - then nothing. It’s useless.

I have had exactly the same issues, explained time and time again I don't use alexa. I finally got someone at amazon to admit it was a fault and they are working on a fix

I have had exactly the same issues, explained time and time again I don't use alexa. I finally got someone at amazon to admit it was a fault and they are working on a fix

I tried to ask them if it was a known issue there with Amazon Music, because it definitely is here on the Sonos forums. I got no answer from them in that regard… so you at least got further than I did with them admitting it was a known fault.

It appears it has been solved since this morning. Haven't had any skipping in the last 30 minutes.

@Corry P, if you'd like to compare with the previous ones, I've submitted diagnostics ending on 577.

I installed the Sonos app update this morning, and was successfully able to play an album from my favorites list from start to finish with no skipping… and I was able to send it to multiple Sonos speakers throughout the house. This is something I haven’t been able to do for over a week.

fingers crossed this takes care of *this* issue for a while.

I installed the Sonos app update this morning, and was successfully able to play an album from my favorites list from start to finish with no skipping… and I was able to send it to multiple Sonos speakers throughout the house. This is something I haven’t been able to do for over a week.

fingers crossed this takes care of *this* issue for a while.

I didn't get a sonos update. Was it a phone update? If so iphone or android please?

Hi @furacaopr 

Thanks for the updated diagnostics - I still see the buffer only ever filling to 40%, and I still see the speakers requesting a lower bitrate, so I am not yet convinced. Well, so I thought when I had only looked at Beam - looking at your standalone speaker, that does seem better!

The proof is in the pudding, however - let’s continue playing and see.

I do recommend giving your Beam a reboot now, just in case it helps.

Hi @Sammo123 

I didn't get a sonos update. Was it a phone update? If so iphone or android please?

If things are better, it was probably a change made on Amazon servers, by Amazon - no update needed! Our last update was on Tuesday.

Hi @furacaopr 

Thanks for the updated diagnostics - I still see the buffer only ever filling to 40%, and I still see the speakers requesting a lower bitrate, so I am not yet convinced. Well, so I thought when I had only looked at Beam - looking at your standalone speaker, that does seem better!

The proof is in the pudding, however - let’s continue playing and see.

Hi @Sammo123 

If things are better, it was probably a change made on Amazon servers, by Amazon - no update needed! Our last update was on Tuesday.

No worries. I'm not at home at the moment, aksed my wife to test and she said it was still doing it but I'll give the speakers and router a reboot when I get home.

Hi @furacaopr 

I still see the buffer only ever filling to 40%, and I still see the speakers requesting a lower bitrate, so I am not yet convinced.

Hi @Corry P, I rebooted the Beam and its surrounds and played for half an hour on Amazon and then the last 3 minutes on Sonos Radio. Diagnostics ending on 636. Please, let me know if you see any improvement. If not, I'll try to remove the surrounds.