Skip to main content
Question

Alternatives to the ‘ new’ Sonos App

• 17 July 2024
  • 5 replies

So it’s obvious that Sonos Executives are ignoring the torrents of criticism about the new app, so I want to move forward, and ask if…

1. has anyone found an alternative app that can be used with Sonos equipment? There is no question that the executive know users are currently tied to their Sonos hardware, but there already must be people looking for alternatives to the audio world’s “ New Coke”
  2. is anyone currently developing an alternative app that I can sign up for as a Beta tester?

3. has anyone managed to work out any means of rolling back to the “ old version”? If so, please share details. Again it goes without saying, that if the Sonos executive p/CEO were serious about listening to their user base, they would provide a rollback option, and see how many took it up. The shock would likely cost them their jobs.

a final comment. Great strategy by the Sonos executive to edit/censor feedback in this community to focus on one rather trivial shortcoming with the new app, the alarm option. This leads other users to believe it’s the main shortcoming. Meanwhile I and a large sector of their loyal user base are ignored when the many, many other mistakes, are posted. ….starting with the fact that they had the arrogance to release the new app with so many blatant bugs, most of which still exist.

As time has passed since this disaster, ultimately releasing new hardware and censoring comments will not stop hundreds of thousands of former loyal, long term Sonos users looking for alternative products…both hardware and software.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Great strategy by the Sonos executive to edit/censor feedback in this community to focus on one rather trivial shortcoming with the new app, the alarm option. This leads other users to believe it’s the main shortcoming. Meanwhile I and a large sector of their loyal user base are ignored when the many, many other mistakes, are posted.

You seriously believe users are being censored? Unbelievable!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Wow. I’m no Sonos apologist but there is some nonsense to be found in there.

The Sonos executive censoring feedback to focus on alarms? What the heck does this even mean? Seriously. What is this?

Alternative app? Yes, Sonophone or Sonopad. It really doesn’t take much research.

Is anyone creating an alternative app where you can sign up as a Beta user. What do you think?

Rolling back to the old version. No. Until yesterday the Android apk of v16.1 could be used but that is now not possible after yesterday’s system update. 
A final note on censoring. The mods on here appear to be extremely generous in what they allow to stand, in my view. If you don’t spout lies, swear, conspire, insult, or bully there will be no censoring. If you are censored then it’s with good reason, not some conspiratorial rubbish by the exec suite. 
My typing fingers are now despairing….

SonoPhone/SonoPad are currently IMO the best option on iOS. $3.

Until yesterday it was possible to install 16.1 on your Android device. You could still do this as long as you haven’t updated to firmware 16.3 as Sonos has cut off this option as of yesterday’s update. 

Technically it is possible to install 16.1 on iOS. It’s not an easy process but the steps are posted in the community if you search for them. 

You can use your Sonos devices as Lyrion Music Server speakers. It’s an open source community development. It works very reliably and has a ton of features. Free. 

If you have speakers with line ins, you can buy a streamer and connect it to your Sonos. Such as WiiM, Amazon echo, RPi player etc. This is a good way to free yourself from the Sonos trap. Turn off updates, turn on auto play and no worries. Lots of Sonos owners have posted about doing this here. 

Also casting third party apps with Airplay and Spotify Connect  

ETA crap it took me 10 minutes to thumb that out on my phone and Rhonny posted a better version 🤦‍♀️

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Bumper Well, not sure about better, but certainly I was less generous…

Are there any alternatives for android?