Skip to main content
Answered

Albums in music library

The unability to create the personal music library in searches is bad enough and has been reported by many users already.

Now I faced another challenge when trying to browse the music library: so far, in the new app, the listing of albums was accurate, still a bit clumsy to go through without the A-Z bar on the side, but possible.

On the weekend, without having done any further app update (Android), the album list looks very different. The Sonos app lists every song of an album as one album (!), so the actual list of albums is not there anymore. With 55.000 titles on my NAS, it has now become completely impossible to choose albums or tracks.

Have other users also run into that problem?

12 replies

Yes that just happened to my system also, iphone/ipad and desktop all dysfunctional.  No updates happened prior.  The way i get around it  (not solve it) is to use the folders option in the music library section in the Sonos app (windows). (The desktop app is the  only way I found to implement a personal library on my network drive)  The songs must be separated into folders that align into the artificial albums I created in my Media Monkey library.  There is a old program called Amok playlist copy (google those three words). the program has options to output your library into folders by Artist or Album or Genre, etc.  I only have 25GB of music so it was very quick. but Sonos…they keep coming up with ways to screw up personal libraries, very sad--must be under pressure to get rid of library people like us--turn us into service fee people-Apple/Spotify.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

must be under pressure to get rid of library people like us--turn us into service fee people-Apple/Spotify.

Not really. New app update now live today which is intended to sort music library issues.

I updated the app on iphone just now, still have problem. Additionally there is still the issue of not being able to specify a library on the home network in the phone app hence not able to rescan the library using iphone so I don’t see how this phone app fix is going to fix it--as one is functionally unable to update the library listings.  Used to be able to do that with the phone app, didn’t need the deskapp. Why has that not been reimplemented after all these months?  I note also that the deskapp didn’t have a/this update..yet  so still experiencing this issue with each song as an album.  Maybe someone at crowdstrike could help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I updated the app on iphone just now, still have problem. Additionally there is still the issue of not being able to specify a library on the home network in the phone app hence not able to rescan the library using iphone so I don’t see how this phone app fix is going to fix it--as one is functionally unable to update the library listings.  Used to be able to do that with the phone app, didn’t need the deskapp. Why has that not been reimplemented after all these months?  I note also that the deskapp didn’t have a/this update..yet  so still experiencing this issue with each song as an album.  Maybe someone at crowdstrike could help.

Did you also run the system update last week? If not, maybe run that now, to work alongside today’s app update.

Same issue here.

The software team at Sonos should verify and test their releases before making it available or at least keep the old version alive till the new version is stable and contains the necessary features. 

I hope that the new update comes very very soon with fixes for the local music library. It is frustrated that the management team at Sonos is not capable to write correct release notes:

Added setup, configuration, and search for local Music Library

I face the same problem. Every song on an album is listed as separate album.

Seriously regret having bought Sonos with their vendor lock-in app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BoernGee et al

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of this issue with Music Library that you are having. We are aware of an issue whereby compilation albums with more than one contributing artist will show a different Album entry for each contributing artist, but that these items will be empty. We are investigating, but here is no estimate for when a fix might be put in place.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply and got to hear that Sonos are aware of the issue, months after the actual post notably… - and no, your post does obviously not help the problem.

And: you are wrong in describing the problem. Not only compilations appear as many albums, but any album does, even ones with a single artits. Every song is an album. Happy to share a screen shot.

If you look at other posts to this topic, Sonos clients cannot understand why killed functionality that had been there for a long time and that is an essential piece for music lovers. Your statement that there is no timeline set to fix this issue clearly tells that Sonos does not handle this with priority and hence does not value clients’ needs accordingly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

The problem affects any album where you have different entries for Artist and Album artist. Much will depend here on how you like to tag your music, but compilations are usually most affected as many people use ‘Various Artists’ in the album artist tag for these. 

And yes, it’s *really* frustrating for those of us not hooked on streaming services… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BoernGee 

Thanks for your reply and got to hear that Sonos are aware of the issue, months after the actual post notably

This was the first time I came across this particular thread since the issue was identified. The issue was acknowledged some time ago elsewhere. 

… - and no, your post does obviously not help the problem.

No, but it does let people know that they can cease troubleshooting - nothing they can do will help, and knowing this in itself can be helpful.

And: you are wrong in describing the problem. Not only compilations appear as many albums, but any album does, even ones with a single artits. Every song is an album. Happy to share a screen shot.

Thanks, but there’s no need. We fully understand the issue even if I don’t go to the full effort of describing the issue as accurately as possible here.

If you look at other posts to this topic, Sonos clients cannot understand why killed functionality that had been there for a long time and that is an essential piece for music lovers. Your statement that there is no timeline set to fix this issue clearly tells that Sonos does not handle this with priority and hence does not value clients’ needs accordingly.

Actually, it just says that there is no timeline that I can share with you - there is one in actuality, but as it can be subject to change due to the vagaries of the process, we often feel it’s better not to share it publicly.

It is a priority.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this and sorry if this is becoming a bit emotional. But music is about emotion and not being able to properly listen to ones own music collection that has been put together over years and decades is not a good thing, let alone the amount of money spent on the Sonos system (which in my case, is quite a bit).

Sonos had a perfectly working system and changed it. If you look at the discussion groups, very little is seen as an improvement, a lot is a pain, more complicated, apparently not fully thought through. Many people out there don’t understand why Sonos did this, as Sonos has not explained either. This is the typical behaviour of a company with a high market share in its particular segment, but not a wise product (and comms) strategy on the mid to long run for sure...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BoernGee 

Thanks for this and sorry if this is becoming a bit emotional. But music is about emotion and not being able to properly listen to ones own music collection that has been put together over years and decades is not a good thing, let alone the amount of money spent on the Sonos system (which in my case, is quite a bit).

I could not agree more.

Sonos had a perfectly working system and changed it. If you look at the discussion groups, very little is seen as an improvement, a lot is a pain, more complicated, apparently not fully thought through. Many people out there don’t understand why Sonos did this, as Sonos has not explained either. This is the typical behaviour of a company with a high market share in its particular segment, but not a wise product (and comms) strategy on the mid to long run for sure...

Again, I agree, though there have been some explanations. Here is one: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/blog/update-on-the-sonos-app