Skip to main content

I have 2 Symfonisk speakers that I use together with my wife. I mostly use them via the Sonos app or Spotify while my wife prefers using Airplay. Now we have the problem that often when my wife tries to play something via Airplay, her phone shows that she’s connected to the speaker but the speaker plays the last thing I played via the app instead of what she chose on her phone. Has anybody had a similar issue and found a solution?

Hi @Morgon123 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It sounds like your speakers might be under Spotify’s “spell”:

Spotify connect and "The Spell"

Spotify Connect allows for playback to network devices directly from the Spotify app. This works via behaviour called "The Spell". A speaker is registered by Spotify by playing to it on a local network. Once registered, "The Spell" will remain in place (even when leaving the network or playing to another device) until another Spotify user plays to that same speaker via local network and a different Spotify account.

This behaviour is largely the same on Sonos as it is with other third-party speakers. However, there are some key differences that can "break the spell".

Breaking the Spell

Sonos devices will be de-registered from Spotify Connect session if playback is started from another source such as Local Library, TOSlink, Apple Music, Sonos Radio, etc. This is called "Breaking the Spell".

The spell will also be broken if a player registered for Spotify Connect is grouped with another speaker, if an alarm is triggered, or if a connected speaker loses its cloud connection. In addition, a user can manually break the spell by selecting END SESSION from the Sonos Controller in that room's Queue, or by rebooting the player.

I recommend taking the last step mentioned - open the Sonos app, select the correct room and expand the Now Playing section at the bottom of the screen. Then, open the Queue screen and select End Session

Queue button

Once done, there should be no problem with connecting via AirPlay.

I hope this helps.

I'll try that, thanks!