Skip to main content
Answered

access to music libraries

• 13 December 2023
  • 8 replies

I have a Terramaster DAS, not a NAS, with 4x2TB drives attached to my MacBook Air. I have formatted one drive as MacOS extended and loaded my music library on to it. I have opened that drive to full disk access on the MacBook and installed the path to the drive library in the Sonos app. However when I try and play music from that external drive the Sonos app just states “No selections are available”. What else do I need to do as I don't want the library actually on my MacBook ? All the necessary share permissions are sorted as far as I can see as everything else works except Sonos. Any help gratefully received as it's driving me crazy.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Have you shared the files using http in the MAC Desktop Sonos App, or are you trying to do this using the mobile App and SMB?
If not tried already, I would try setting up the share with the MAC desktop Sonos App. Also this link about toggling on the library server etc.…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/no-tracks-from-mac-usb-drive-in-sonos-music-library

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried all ways but only from the App on the MacBook. I have also followed the instructions in the link but all to no avail. If I look at the drive in Get Info in Finder on the Mac, the share box is unticked. If I change that to share and update permissions to as wide as possible all the permissions stay as set but the share box unticks each time which is really puzzling me. I am not an IT whiz so Im struggling.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried all ways but only from the App on the MacBook. I have also followed the instructions in the link but all to no avail. If I look at the drive in Get Info in Finder on the Mac, the share box is unticked. If I change that to share and update permissions to as wide as possible all the permissions stay as set but the share box unticks each time which is really puzzling me. I am not an IT whiz so Im struggling.

I’m not that familiar with MAC either, so not sure, but I know the connected drive format should be hfs+ which it seems you have already.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/shared-folder-not-added-due-to-unsupported-file-system

Also see this link for some further things to check

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/computer-could-not-be-found-error-when-using-a-music-library

I would also just see if you share a folder and perhaps a few tracks on your MAC main drive, if that will work for you too, to try to narrow things down. You might need to give the share a username and password too, perhaps🤔? (I’m not sure).

Yes all that done. If I load my library directly onto the MacBook HDD, Sonos can access it and play but it’s a large library so I would rather have it on the much larger external drive. I just do not understand why it cannot be done. It’s really frustrating, but thank you for your help Ken.

I think I have resolved the issue. In desperation I reformatted the external drive into AFPS and load one album which Sonos saw and played so I am now loading the whole library onto the drive to see if Sonos now has access to the whole library. I think it will but it seems to go against the guidance given from Sonos support about requiring Mac OS extended format.

I think I have resolved the issue. In desperation I reformatted the external drive into AFPS and load one album which Sonos saw and played so I am now loading the whole library onto the drive to see if Sonos now has access to the whole library. I think it will but it seems to go against the guidance given from Sonos support about requiring Mac OS extended format.

Sounds promising (don’t forget to re-index the library too when all tracks are in situ)… let us know how it goes. 👍

Morning Ken, yes that worked perfectly. The indexing took a few hours but it is a large music library. I can now access all the music in the external drive so the solution was to reformat the drive to AFPS format. No other format worked. Thanks for your help in resolving this.