Answered

Access sonos connect directly through native application of the streaming provider

• 26 February 2024
  • 17 replies

I use my Sonos Connect as a streamer connect to my Hifi, and I am currently using Amazon music as a music provider. The problem is that I cannot use the Amazon music app to select the music to stream through my Sonos Connect, I am forced to use the Sonos app; this is a serious limitation since in this way I cannot use most of the functionalities provided by the Amazon music app, which are useful in discovering new music. 

Do you know which HD music provider (e.g. tidal, deezer, etc.) would give me direct access thorugh their native app to my Sonos Connect streaming functionalities?

Thanks a lot!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 26 February 2024, 17:42

View original

17 replies

Spotify does, through Spotify Connect. I don’t know about others. 

If you weren’t connecting to a Sonos CONNECT, but instead a newer Sonos Port, and were using an iPhone, you could use AirPlay 2. 

Amazon Music allows playing from the native app.  Go to Settings, pick Connect to a Device, and choose a Sonos room to play to. 

Hello all,

thank you very much for your answers, but unfortunately they don’t solve my problem:

• Spotify does not provide HD streaming, I want to use CD-quality streams.
  • I use Android, not iPhone
  • Amazon music does not allow me to connect to Sonos Connect (which is my only Sonos device), it might allow it for other devices, but thats not my use case

I didn’t mention before for the sake of time, but using the Sonos app from my android device not only doesn’t give me access to the added functionalities of the native amazon music app, it also does not work properly: try for example to search for a title on the Sonos app, and you will receive (for the Amazon music service) only a subset of the results: very frustrating!

I still hope to find the solution to my problem. Thanks again,

Michele

Spotify does, through Spotify Connect. I don’t know about others. 

If you weren’t connecting to a Sonos CONNECT, but instead a newer Sonos Port, and were using an iPhone, you could use AirPlay 2. 

Thank you, but I use Android phones. Additionally Spotify does not provide HD streaming, at least this is what happens in Italy, and I want to listen to CD-quality streams

Amazon Music allows playing from the native app.  Go to Settings, pick Connect to a Device, and choose a Sonos room to play to. 

Thank you, but unfortunately this is not possible, at least for Sons Connect, which is the only Sonos device that I am using

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Tidal supports direct play from their app to Sonos, the link below mentions cd quality but I am not a subscriber so don’t know that this applies to casting from the app. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services/tidal?language=en_US

Thank you, but unfortunately this is not possible, at least for Sons Connect, which is the only Sonos device that I am using

You should probably contact Sonos about this, because it is possible for all Sonos devices.  

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/stream-audio-to-sonos-from-another-app

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

That raises the question:  why is Apple evil? 

Huh?  There’s been no mention in the OP or the subsequent posts involving anything to do with Apple, except to say the OP doesn’t use it.  It’s been all Android phones and Amazon Music.

Tidal supports direct play from their app to Sonos, the link below mentions cd quality but I am not a subscriber so don’t know that this applies to casting from the app. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services/tidal?language=en_US

Thank you Bumper. I have called the Sonos support and they have mentioned Tidal as the CD-quality (and more) streaming from their app to Sonos. In a few weeks my subscription to amazon will finish, and I will test Tidal. Thanks again

I this is is an off topic question. Anyway... It’s not evil, but it’s not my choice, at least for two reasons: 

1. it’s a closed, non-standard platform
  2. it’s very expensive

That’s enough for me to go elsewhere

Thank you jgatie, as a matter of fact yesterday afternoon I have contacted Sonos support and they gave me the same link as you. If you look from the list, Amazon music does not support Sonos Connect (at least, my device has no microphone nor Alexa support), and the only CD-quality service supporting direct streaming of music from native app, in Italy, is Tidal. As soon as my subscription to Amazon ends, I will try Tidal to check it. Thanks again,

Michele

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thank you jgatie, as a matter of fact yesterday afternoon I have contacted Sonos support and they gave me the same link as you. If you look from the list, Amazon music does not support Sonos Connect (at least, my device has no microphone nor Alexa support), and the only CD-quality service supporting direct streaming of music from native app, in Italy, is Tidal. As soon as my subscription to Amazon ends, I will try Tidal to check it. Thanks again,

Michele

Is your Connect running S1 or S2? Tidal on S1 Connect’s has some limitations: https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/ywpbom/tidal_master_quality/

Unless something has changed, you do need to go through the Alexa setup in order to cast from the Amazon music app to a Sonos speaker.  I understand that you might not have any Alexa capable devices in your home (other than your phone) but Amazon uses the same communication pipeline to Sonos for both Alexa voice commands and the Amazon music app.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-an-amazon-alexa-device-to-control-sonos

Michele

Is your Connect running S1 or S2? Tidal on S1 Connect’s has some limitations: https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/ywpbom/tidal_master_quality/

Thank you controlav, my Connect is running S1, so I hope it will properly manage FLAC CD-Quality streams from Tidal. Thanks for the information

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@MicheleRe 

I think testing Tidal will be your best chance. As mentioned Amazon realizes the functionality via Alexa cloud what would mean a limited quality. If there are problems with Tidal, imho best alternative would be Spotify even they still don’t offer HiFi quality, but they seem to use a quite good codec because often I can’t hear a difference between Spotify and Flac CD quality of other services. 

Thank you Schlumpf, I will try Tidal for sure; I personally don’t think Spotify is an option, since its lower quality should be evident with a good Hifi (as mine is supposed to be).

Thanks