Access denied when playing YouTube Music

• 27 November 2023
  • 7 replies

I added YouTube Music to my Sonos Android app (Sonos S2) today, but several problems happened. Especially, I cannot play music on a Sonos device from the app. I use Sonos Beam (Gen 2), and I enrolls YouTube Music Premium via YouTube Premium.

Here is a list of problems I encountered:

• Problem 1: Sonos app only shows one playlist of mine. I can view several playlists on https://music.youtube.com/library/playlists, but Sonos app only shows one of them.
  • Problem 2: When I try to play the playlist, the app shows an access denial error. To be precise, it shows “「xxx」を再生できません -アクセスは拒否されました” in Japanese.
  • Problem 3: When searching songs of YouTube Music on Sonos app, it always shows no songs for all queries I tried. Both English queries and Japanese queires return nothing.

Additional information:

• I can play music with Sonos app and Sonos Radio.
  • Removing YouTube music from Sonos app and re-adding it does not resolve above issues. Restarting the app and Sonos Beam also does not work.
  • I live in Japan, and don’t use any VPNs.
  • I have two channels (accounts) for YouTube with one Google account; one is a main channel, and another is a brand channel. I use the brand channel to log in YouTube Music.
  • It seems the following comment describes a similar issue. The comment resolved the issue by using a main channel, but I want to keep using the brand channel to use YouTube Music Premium. 

I want to play some songs from YouTube at first. What should I try next?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I am also having similar problem. I am also using a sub account under a family membership. 

I can see all of my playlist besides my "liked" playlist. 

I cannot search for any songs.

Any song I select from playlist says "access denied".

This is unacceptable. It is bad enough as an android user I am not able to "cast" to the Sonos bar but I can't easily use my YouTube music account that is paid for? Meanwhile if I had an iPhone I'd be having a seamless integration! This is hard to swallow after spending almost 3000$. 

WHATS THE DEAL SONOS?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nekketsuuu & @Chittychitty 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Could you both please attempt to play from these subaccounts to Sonos and then submit a support diagnostic, replying here with the number given? 

Please also confirm for me that you are using YouTube Music family plans - is that how you’re able to get “subaccounts”? 

Thank you.

Thanks @Corry P for your response.

I’ve already reached out to Sonos Support, and they said that currently, using sub-accounts of YouTube Music may cause Access Denied error. I’ve decided to wait until it’s supported. (For internal context, my support case number is ********.)

Additionaly, I’m using a Brand Account of YouTube rather than family plans. You can find more details about the Brand Account at https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7001996?hl=en.

Moderator Edit: Removed case number from the post

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nekketsuuu 

Thanks for that link - that very page seems to explain things:

“Historically, Brand Accounts could be used with a variety of Google services. Starting August 4, 2021, Brand Accounts can only be linked to YouTube channels and will be designated with “(limited to YouTube)." This update will not impact existing Brand Accounts, only accounts that are created after August 4, 2021.”

Note that YouTube Music is not the same as YouTube. Of course, I don’t know when you created your account, but my suspicion is that these sub-accounts are not intended to work.

> Of course, I don’t know when you created your account, but my suspicion is that these sub-accounts are not intended to work.

I don’t think so at the moment. At least, I can use YouTube Music with that Brand Account on YouTube Music app (Android) and YouTube Music website. My playlists are synchronized between YouTube and YouTube Music, and I can use YouTube Music Premium features via YouTube Premium.

I don’t know how Sonos connects YouTube Music to Sonos (since no public API is published for YouTube Music currently, except for YouTube Data API), but it should be able to play songs from Brand Accounts at least.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nekketsuuu 

The Sonos SMAPI (Sonos Music API) will be in use: https://docs.sonos.com/docs/smapi

As far as I am aware, only primary accounts will work with Sonos systems. I don’t know if this is by design, accidental, or just because these Brand/Family accounts only came about after the integration with YouTube Music was completed.

Regardless, I think it would be up to YouTube Music to rewrite their SMAPI implementation, or to permit access via our speakers to these accounts on the servers they maintain for Sonos connections - I recommend you provide feedback to them too.

> Regardless, I think it would be up to YouTube Music to rewrite their SMAPI implementation, or to permit access via our speakers to these accounts on the servers they maintain for Sonos connections - I recommend you provide feedback to them too.

Thank you for your info. So… the YouTube Music integration was implemented by YouTube, not by Sonos? According to https://docs.sonos.com/docs/content-service-get-started, yes, it looks like that YouTube has submitted the integration to Sonos. I thought it was developed by Sonos, but I was mistaken.

Then, it seems reasonable to ask YouTube about the current behavior. I’ll ask them soon and write back their response here. Thanks.