Answered

access denied to songs in music library on NAS

• 11 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Hey all,

My MyBookLive NAS died after many years of service, hosting my Sonos music library.  I replaced it with a DS120j Synology NAS, and it has NOT been plug and play.  I’ve seen many notes in the Sonos forums about workarounds to get Synology and Sonos to work together, and I’ve tried most of them, to no avail.

So, I have a Sonos S1 system that has worked great and I don’t want to migrate to S2.  I have spent hours with very patient and helpful Sonos support techs, Apple support techs, and Synology support techs, and no one can get the “access denied” error to go away when trying to play music library files on the Synology NAS.  If anyone has any recent magic bullets, let me know.

Alternatively, if some Sonos user is willing to recommend any NAS that DOES work with Sonos, please let me know.  The Sonos support folks have to remain agnostic, and most of the reviews of the various NAS drives I’ve read are pretty horrible.  Synology seemed “least bad”, but now I think their software is just too damn sophisticated (overwrought?) to simply let my Mac mount a shared volume and let Sonos write a shared music library to it.  So, my current NAS may be getting returned.  Anybody got any suggestions for a replacement?

icon

Best answer by Steve Tomich 12 October 2023, 19:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos S1 uses SMBv1 that Synology sees as a security risk, so they seem to be closing off ways to use this protocol. S2 uses more modern SMB versions.

I seem to remember Sonos uses another way to connect to a PC database. So you could try if a using a PC to store your music on would work in your case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Rather than fighting your new NAS you could use an NAS to Sonos gateway that read a protocol your NAS was happy using and shared one (SMB v1) Sonos was happy reading.

About any computer that can run the SMB system will work, I tried it here with a Raspberry Pi Zero with excellent results.

SMB v1 Gateway  https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Open Media Vault has also been suggested and it is lech involved to set up.

Less technical solution for a Sonos Pi file server  https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/940.html

Hey there!  Thanks to folks for offering solutions to integrate my Synology NAS with my Sonos 1 system.  I appreciate the workarounds, but for a non-network engineer like myself, they are a bit baroque.  So I took the easy way out:  I revived my old MyBookLive drive and remounted it.  I was surprised that it allowed me to access it and re-setup its shares etc., and then allowed me to transfer my music files back to it.  The Sonos Music Library is very happy with it, and I can play my tunes again.  The only catch is--the drive really is on its way out.  Its network mount on my Mac is tenuous and I now get lots of error messages when I try to access it via its web dashboard. 

So, now to Plan C:  There are some MyBookLive drives still out in the world, and I just bought one on Amazon.  It’s refurbished, so I hope it works.  I’ll be able to listen to some music till it arrives, at least.

If there are any Sonos support techs reading this, I’d like to say how much I appreciate your efforts in trying to make the Sonos 1-to-new-NAS-device work. The responsiveness of the Sonos live real-time troubleshooting cannot be overstated. (I also appreciate the efforts of the Synology techs, who tried to fix things from the opposite direction).  However, I think maybe it’s now the best use of time and energy to tell Sonos 1 customers like me that, due to “progress” in the NAS protocols over the years, there is just no easy way to connect an old Sonos system to new NAS technology.  I used up many hours of my time and Sonos tech support time (which is even more precious) coming to this conclusion.

Again, thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Are you running SMB1 on the NAS?

Assuming you are, try this on the NAS.