Will Sonos support Google Cast for Audio?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

162 replies

I think the best thing about Google cast for audio is that it creates competition. The announced LG speakers are about $10 less than Sonos. Competition will drive prices down and challenge the companies to improve their products.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I think the best thing about Google cast for audio is that it creates competition. The announced LG speakers are about $10 less than Sonos. Competition will drive prices down and challenge the companies to improve their products.
I agree. Monopoly-like or highly dominant positions are not conducive to speedy innovation or best consumer value and inevitably cause businesses to rest on the laurels somewhat compared to how they'd behave if they didn't enjoy such a dominant position.

The competition from Google Cast should be very good news. In particular, this is not one product set from one manufacturer, but an enabling technology available to any manufacturer or app developer, which could open the market right up if it gains traction.

For Sonos, being a single product-line business, it could be a case of innovate or wither. Sonos has great products and a great brand. Google Cast means that the product side may shortly be under sustained and credible attack; I hope Sonos doesn't just rely on its outstanding brand to shore its business up, but instead looks to maintain its lead in the product area.

Sonos has proven itself to have very smart management so I'd be optimistic about its future, but no one's perfect, everyone can make mistakes - consumer electronics and software can be a very unforgiving business where stumbles can be terminal, so Sonos'll need to be on top of its game 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I agree. Monopoly-like or highly dominant positions are not conducive to speedy innovation or best consumer value and inevitably cause businesses to rest on the laurels somewhat compared to how they'd behave if they didn't enjoy such a dominant position.

The competition from Google Cast should be very good news. In particular, this is not one product set from one manufacturer, but an enabling technology available to any manufacturer or app developer, which could open the market right up if it gains traction.

For Sonos, being a single product-line business, it could be a case of innovate or wither. Sonos has great products and a great brand. Google Cast means that the product side may shortly be under sustained and credible attack; I hope Sonos doesn't just rely on its outstanding brand to shore its business up, but instead looks to maintain its lead in the product area.

Sonos has proven itself to have very smart management so I'd be optimistic about its future, but no one's perfect, everyone can make mistakes - consumer electronics and software can be a very unforgiving business where stumbles can be terminal, so Sonos'll need to be on top of its game :)

well said RDog - lets hope this will get sonos to innovate a bit more and speed up on their rollout of new products and features. Hopefully even make some u-turns on those they have marked as 'not planned' (DTS, Spotify Connect...)
It's been four months since the official response from Sonos. Could we please get another response confirming or denying the future implementation of cast for audio? Personally I'd like this as I would like to connect podcast apps, continuing playback when I get home by just connecting to the Sonos.
Userlevel 1
It's been four months since the official response from Sonos. Could we please get another response confirming or denying the future implementation of cast for audio? Personally I'd like this as I would like to connect podcast apps, continuing playback when I get home by just connecting to the Sonos.
Agreed!!  I have been wanting to cast audio playing on my phone or laptop to a nearby speaker to get full use of this premium audio equipment I purchased from Sonos.  The speakers on my phone and laptop are terrible, and I'd love to be able to quickly cast the audio of a Netflix stream or YouTube clip from my device to my speakers.
Yes. I want to be able to cast Netflix audio to my Sonos located in the bathroom without rooting my phone and using AllCast and AirSonos.
I have been waiting to use Pocket Casts with Sonos. Please make it happen with Google Cast!
Been doing a bit of research today as I am interested in a new wireless system.   At the end of the day, having an open protocol such as the cast for audio seems like it will be important for future adoption.   Based on this thread, I think i'm going to give the LG a shot.. probably not as good of a system, but has multi-room, google cast support and seems to be a nice setup.  http://www.lg.com/uk/speakers-sound-systems/lg-LAS750M
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Been doing a bit of research today as I am interested in a new wireless system.   At the end of the day, having an open protocol such as the cast for audio seems like it will be important for future adoption.   Based on this thread, I think i'm going to give the LG a shot.. probably not as good of a system, but has multi-room, google cast support and seems to be a nice setup.  http://www.lg.com/uk/speakers-sound-systems/lg-LAS750M
I guess that you could hook up a unit like this http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Extractor-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SFJ0ZS6K1B5E0N9B82V to a play 5 or Connect(/amp) and stick a CromeCast in the HDMI to be able to use Google Cast Audio with Sonos. Does any one know if it works? Didn't try myself. We cast through the TV.
Userlevel 2
I use that exact device to convert my Chromecast HDMI to optical out, and then run it to my XDA-2. My Sonos Connect went back and I'm just using a more conventional stereo setup until and unless Sonos or someone else embraces the Google Cast ecosystem.

Anyway, the converter works perfectly.
Looks like Nest will announce some audio products on 17th June - http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/4/8730145/nest-event-june-17-announced. Their other products are great and integrate with 3rd party services brilliantly (and they're owned by Google)
Badge
any update from Sonos team? Still not part of the Sonos Beta 6.0 that they release 1st Sept?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
any update from Sonos team? Still not part of the Sonos Beta 6.0 that they release 1st Sept?
Hi Nico-sg, you can join the Sonos beta programs from your Sonos account. Here's an article explaining how: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1795
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think he was asking about beta and google cast. Google cast is not in public beta. Right now all we know is rumors but no indication of Google casting from Sonos.
Badge
Exactly Chris, that's my point , I have seen the notes of 6.0 beta, and there are only 2 things.
- New Spotify Premium improvements on Sonos:
- Improved Live streaming on MLB.com Gameday Audio and Sirius XM.

Wondering why it is marked as a major release (5.4 --> 6.0)

I am not a Spofify User, but I am sure Spotify native app can cast, so instead of Sonos trying to catch up with the new improvements/services that each music provider delivers, why Sonos can't just support Google Cast standard, and then up to the user to use Spotify native app to enjoy all benefits of Spotify,

Not sure to understand why Sonos still forces us to go through their app to run music services, but this needs a change. Keep sonos app for room setup, pairing, update.... only.

There so many services out there who are making use of cast API. 8 months since Google Cast is announced, can Sonos share their direction

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I personally don't foresee google cast until first of the year. That is when some competitors have said they will have it ready too.

Sonos hasn't officially announced they are supporting it...it has been only rumors.

Sonos keeps future updates close to the chest. They have not said yet what will be majorly different specifically in 6.0 once final. I would suspect they can't be to terribly far off from a final so I guess everyone will see then.
Rumors say Spotify will soon support Google Cast for Audio. So this could be a chance to directly use the Spotify App to control the Sonos without Spotify Connect. If Sonos would implement Google Cast for Audio.
Rumors say Spotify will soon support Google Cast for Audio. So this could be a chance to directly use the Spotify App to control the Sonos without Spotify Connect. If Sonos would implement Google Cast for Audio.

Interesting. Maybe Sonos is on the list, too!

http://9to5google.com/2015/09/17/exclusive-google-and-spotify-launching-chromecast-support-later-this-month/
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Just purchased my Sonos setup and very pleased with it. Little disappointed to learn I can only cast Google music over to it though. The LG flow system has just been heavily discounted too! Looks like a good buy although maybe a little flaky and unstable.
I'm going to buy a chromecast adapter called JoyDrone and hook it up to my aux in as a temporary measure until hopefully Google Cast arrives to Sonos (fingers crossed)
Badge
Just got an iPhone 6S Plus and was very disappointed to see that i can't control Sonos's volume from the iPhone's lock screen like I could on Android. Google Play Music works fine via the iPhone's lock screen. So I thought, "no problem, I can cast from the Google Music app." Unfortunately, I can't do that either!

I'm really bummed out. I love my Sonos (slowly accumulated a Play 3 and 2 Play 1s, had the 5 or a ConnectAmp on my Christmas list) so I don't know whether to return the iPhone for a Note 5 or hope that Sonos will support Google Cast before too long. And if they don't, have to look into selling the Sonos. Why does it have to be so hard?
Badge
Just got an iPhone 6S Plus and was very disappointed to see that i can't control Sonos's volume from the iPhone's lock screen like I could on Android. Google Play Music works fine via the iPhone's lock screen. So I thought, "no problem, I can cast from the Google Music app." Unfortunately, I can't do that either!

I'm really bummed out. I love my Sonos (slowly accumulated a Play 3 and 2 Play 1s, had the 5 or a ConnectAmp on my Christmas list) so I don't know whether to return the iPhone for a Note 5 or hope that Sonos will support Google Cast before too long. And if they don't, have to look into selling the Sonos.

Why does it have to be so hard?
Even if Sonos doesn't add Google Cast support, Google will be announcing their new "Hendrix" audio casting gadget tomorrow, which should be inexpensive, and will plug into any Sonos device with an aux in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks Chick - very interesting and yes that would give Google Casting as long as people have aux in device (although those with Play:1/Play:3s will still complain. But a good interim fix.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Just bought the Motorola Moto Stream for my line in connection, similar to the hendrix I imagine and very pretty / unique. Totally solved my podcast listening, YouTube and BBC streaming. Would definitely recommend as we await any possible sync with Google cast.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks for the info wkel24 !