Skip to main content

Hello I have been using a friend’s Spotify account to build a playlist in Sonos. I now have my own Spotify account so would like to switch in the Sonos App but not sure if it means I will need to build my Sonos playlist from scratch, if yes what do I need to do to avoid that?

Hi @rameckler.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining your concern, let me help and try to figure this out.

Sonos supports Spotify Free and Spotify Premium accounts, which allows you to search for Spotify artists, albums, and playlists in the Sonos app. 

Any queue you’ve created in the Sonos app can be saved as a Sonos Playlist. Note that your Sonos products use the queue when playing music from your music library or from on-demand music services like Spotify. 

Removing a music service account will not alter your subscription with the music service provider in any way. Content (songs, albums, artists, playlists, etc.) you’ve added to My SonosSonos Playlists, or Sonos Favorites using this service will no longer be playable and will need to be manually removed.

Once you replace/remove your current (Spotify) music service’s account in Sonos, the playlist’s source will change and you’d need to build a playlist again using your own/new Spotify account. However, you can add multiple accounts to Sonos if it is possible to keep your friend’s Sonos account added to your system.

Hopefully, that helps and if you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

I’ve read the Phonos Plus app (iOS only) can export and import playlists to Sonos. Maybe @controlav can tell you if the app would work in your situation.

Thanks for the mention @106rallye but I think this can be done without using my app:

1. Add the OPs “new” Spotify account to Sonos system

1. Remove the “old” Spotify account

I believe the playlist containing the Spotify tracks should self-correct, but it has been a while since I tried this.

This self-correction will not work when switching between difference services though. That requires more care, my app and soundiiz.com

If my theory above does not work, I would recommend this Plan B:

1. Export the playlist using my app to a text file
  2. Use soundiiz.com to import that playlist into your Spotify account

This will turn it into a Spotify playlist. You can then use the Sonos app to load this into an empty queue, then save as a Sonos playlist.

@controlav So it sounds like I should try the method above and export the playlist to then load it into my own Sportify account.

or just keep my friend’s account to just keep my enormous playlist as it is.

Just to check there isn’t a straight forward way to export a Sonos playlist directly from the Sonos app? I am guessing not, would be too easy. 

In plan A is there a risk of losing the playlist and should therefore just go straight to plan B?

Thank you for your help. 

In plan A is there a risk of losing the playlist and should therefore just go straight to plan B?

Thank you for your help. 

Yeah, Plan B first (as it is “safer” and non destructive), if that fails than Plan A.

@controlav Plan B doesn’t work very well. Successfully exported text file but for the import via Soundiiz it only successfully imports 15% of the file, the rest is highlight as ‘errors’.

@controlav Plan B doesn’t work very well. Successfully exported text file but for the import via Soundiiz it only successfully imports 15% of the file, the rest is highlight as ‘errors’.

Try renaming the exported file with a “csv” extension and re-import that, as a file, into soundiiz.

Does it give any idea of the “errors”? What was “good” about the 15% and “bad” about the others?

A least its a text file, so you can try hand-editing it to fix things up until soundiiz is happier.

So I found this page: https://support.soundiiz.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010006793-What-is-the-CSV-format-to-import-playlists-favorites-

You can use this to edit the csv text file to be more easily accepted. I am going to try updating my app to more closely follow this specification.