Why is it not possible to select a custom sonos group in Spotify?

• 12 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Problem:

In Spotify I can only select the last group as a device or the separate speakers if there is no current existing group. 

Reason:

This is really annoying, because I have to switch to the Sonos app every time I want to play on a custom Sonos group. 

Solution:

Other companies are able to sync the individual devices and the groups to Spotify as a device. This results in the following device list in Spotify:

* Kitchen

* living Room

* Bedroom

* Custom group (Kitchen, living room)

Why is it so complicated to implement the same behaviour like for Google or Amazon devices?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Ask Spotify.  Sonos has nothing to do with the Spotify app, besides maintaining the API. 

Sorry, but this is simply not true. If other companies like Google can do this with there cast devices, sonos can do this as well. 

Your answer does not even rely on my issue. Sonos has to call the Spotify API to register new devices, not the other way around. Do you even have experience in software development?

From Spotify documentation:

The application that runs on the wireless speaker receives notifications through the callbacks defined in the Spotify Embedded SDK. In these callbacks, the application updates the speaker's UI (if any) and plays the audio data that it receives.

source: https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/commercial-hardware/implementation/guides/connect-basics

So the application on the Sonos devices has to handle callbacks from Spotify. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure what “callbacks” are, but everything I've read here in the last few years suggests that if a certain feature is possible on the Sonos soft/hardware it still needs to be programmed by the music provider - in your case Spotify. It does seem Spotify has not done this.

You could flag this with Spotify. They could explain if Sonos needs to do anything to make this possible - than Sonos can decide if they also feel they will profit from this.