Answered

When the Airplay password is active, Sonos Airplay is completely broken.

• 31 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Every Sonos speaker in the house blocks Airplay streams and requests an AirPlay Password whenever Airplay Require Password is enabled on the Apple TV or in the Apple Home app.

Once the password is enabled, Airplay works well with Apple devices but not with Sonos devices. No Sonos speaker is affected when the AirPlay password is disabled on Apple TV or the Home app. They continue to request the Airplay password.

Resetting each Sonos speaker individually is the only thing that appears to solve the problem.

Has anyone encountered this issue?

(I've attempted to call Sonos, but the line keeps cutting out; case number 04688582; diagnostics 726588139)

icon

Best answer by controlav 31 January 2023, 15:27

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos devices have no screen or keyboard, so entering a PIN code is a challenge. As a result, Airplay with PINs is not compatible with Sonos.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/stream-airplay-audio-to-sonos

Hello,

I am Apple ecosystem user.

Due to security policy, my iPhone requires AirPlay password for streaming. Without it, I am unable to do so. This is a basic feature of AirPlay, that is working on legacy devices.

I was hopeful that the new Sonos application deployed the 7th of May on the app store would enable pin authentication on Sonos, but unfortunately, multiple years since the first message regarding this issue and it’s still not available nor resolved.

I factory-reseted this morning my two symfonisks: (1) unplugging the power cord, (2) replugging it while pressing the play/pause button, (3) repairing the devices to the network.

First blocking issue: my devices were unable to connect to the networks (2.4 or 5Ghz). My SSID includes special characters (namely an ampersand and an apostrophe), and I believe this is an issue. Since then, the keep blinking green, and no Symfonisk to be found.

Second blocking issue: at some point, I was prompted to login in the application, which I did. Then I was said that I should login as the owner of the device. I still cannot understand what it means.

So overall and as of now, I have two Sonos night stands, unable to stream music (not to mention integrate with the Apple AirPlay ecosytem). Very disappointing.

I hope you can hear my complaint and finally provide a solution. I do believe from reading this Sonos support that I am not the only one.

Yours,

M