Skip to main content

I still have and use my 2 CR200’s.  There is no Sonos replacement under the Trade Up program.  I have 10 Sonos Amps, so I intend to continuing updating my system as new software becomes available.  What other devices can I use to replace the CR200’s once they become obsolete?

I start playing my Sonos system with commands to Alexa and 8 Echo Dot’s throughout my house.  I use the CR200’s in their docks to adjust things I can’t do with Echo Dots - change an individual zone volume, visually check to see what is playing, add or drop a zone from an area group, etc.  While I can do all these things from the Android app, I don’t carry a phone with me around the house. (In our house the phone goes in a cradle at the door -- no checking email at dinner.)

I really like the fact that I can just set the CR200 in it’s cradle and it stays charged.  I can pick it up to use it and then put it back and forget it when I’m done.

So, what to do?  I have an Amazon Fire HD 8, but it is much bigger than the CR200 and is much more awkward to use.  The Amazon Echo 5 looks like it is about the right size, but the operating system is old and cumbersome.

What are other’s doing?  Let me know your ideas.

If you don’t want to use something the size of a tablet, the obvious options are a re-purposed old phone or perhaps an iPod Touch (6th or 7th gen). The latter could be an Apple refurb or a pre-owned unit obtained via the usual channels.

I think the iPod Touch 7th Gen still isn’t supporting Trueplay:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3222?language=en_US

Ah yes. Doubtless it'll get there soon. 

Or Amazon fire tablets are very cheap and work will as controllers. And on the plus side they are so bad for most other tasks that they are unlikely to be stolen. No true play though. 

Ah yes. Doubtless it'll get there soon. 

Got the usual “can’t comment on future stuff” from Sonos but I do have hopes.

I think that it was a huge error for Sonos to had discontinued the CR200 and that they should bring out a replacments.  I tind my CR200 so convienient to use as opposed to my phone.

I think that it was a huge error for Sonos to had discontinued the CR200 and that they should bring out a replacments.  I tind my CR200 so convienient to use as opposed to my phone.

The CR 200’s were discontinued by Sonos eight years ago in 2012..?

I believe the CR200 was moved to legacy (only), rather than being made obsolete and so it can still be used with an S1 Sonos Household. That means it can work with every device except the Arc, Sub (Gen3) and Sonos Five, if you want to keep using the old controller.

Also there is no way they could make it cheaper than cheap android tablets, and it would be a one trick pony. Doesn’t make business or common sense.