Volume normalization

Show first post

142 replies

Please do this, this is such a basic thing that is needed. I'll be honest I wouldn't have bought this if I knew every time I played a play list it would go from dead quiet to screaming loud. Come on Sonos, sort it out. 

Adding my own “Please add volume normalization.” Its not Spotify’s responsibility. When I play Spotify thru Sonos, Spotify’s EQ and sound modulation is disabled. Sonos should have this option.

As far as I can tell, doing slight Google research, it’s a part of EVERY other lower-cost system. I’m not interested in buying the Sonos “name.” I want Sonos to be a speaker that functions just like every other cheaper version does—all the bells and whistles—just better.

And the whole “they don’t reveal when they’re gonna fix things” is, pardon my French, bullshit. No one else gets away with that. Why should the Sonos developers?

I definitely will not buy another Sonos system unless this feature is installed. /googles Roku

To all the folks saying it isn’t possible: Why?

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a Sonos FAQ about why instead of a stone wall?

To be clear, I’m only asking for normalization WITHIN one app: Spotify. It’s silly that my crappy Bluetooth headphones can normalize the volume between, for example, “I Drove All Night” by Cyndi Lauper and “Sledgehammer” by Fifth Harmony (two songs with vastly different gain and peaks) but Sonos speakers can’t...

To be clear, I’m only asking for normalization WITHIN one app: Spotify. It’s silly that my crappy Bluetooth headphones can normalize the volume between, for example, “I Drove All Night” by Cyndi Lauper and “Sledgehammer” by Fifth Harmony (two songs with vastly different gain and peaks) but Sonos speakers can’t...

I only use Spotify via Sonos speakers, using the native app and I echo all the why nots.

Actually, the quoted bit as to how well this seems to work for headphones is news to me, and almost seems magical. Though this is not a reason for Sonos to continue to not have it!

I gave up and bought a rack mount compressor/limiter that my Sonos Connect outputs through via line level RCAs:

BEHRINGER SPL3220 

Things you have to do to maintain marital harmony…

Ar least it has a bypass feature for when I want full dynamic range. 

common Sonos, very disappointing for a so called high end system. I have been listening to different playlist from spotify, i.e. spotify time capsule.  and the differences between the songs sound level is annoying, even such that I changed to my old fashion receiver and connected spotify via my phone and aux.  With tears in my eyes i have to say that i am very disappointed in Sonos that sound level normalization is not possible. I see no further reason to invest in sonos systems and return to my old fashioned Technics dolby surround system. The attitude of Sonos towards this issue exists for multiple years and,yet, still no solution for sound level normalisation for streaming services  from Amazon prime, Deezer, Soundcloud, Spotify etc.

Sonos needs volume normalization. Even services that have it such as Spotify pandora and Apple Music are not normalized when playing on Sonos.

I too would like to see this feature added.  Every so often a commercial comes in 50% louder than all the others.  Didn’t the FCC stop this once?  I would gladly like a feature that could be turned off for high dynamic music listening and on for watching TV or jumping between inputs.

The latest Sonos app has a new GUI I noticed.  It has a nighttime mode (I think that is what they called it) which limits volume, and can also boost voices for quiet night time viewing when the family is asleep.  It works well and takes care of the normalization issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The latest Sonos app has a new GUI I noticed.  It has a nighttime mode (I think that is what they called it) which limits volume, and can also boost voices for quiet night time viewing when the family is asleep.  It works well and takes care of the normalization issue.

That’s not new, first appeared with the Playbar back in the day.

Badge

I am very surprised to see the volume normalization is not yet implemented. Very annoying and I hope Sonos will soon figure out how to add this feature. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Is this for real?? Seriously Sonos hasn’t fixed this?? Come on! 

how many years are people gonna ask for this and do they even look at this forum or are we wasting our time?

after years of asking-please just add this important feature!

They have your money. Why would they care?

Relatively new to Sonos, and have been frustrated that this feature isn’t available. 

I have had to give up trying to play classical music as background or to sleep to, as there are some songs I literally cannot hear at all, but another song can be so loud it will wake me up in a jolt! 

Come on Sonos.. please get cracking on this update!

I only use Spotify via Sonos speakers, using the native app and I echo all the why nots.

Actually, the quoted bit as to how well this seems to work for headphones is news to me, and almost seems magical. Though this is not a reason for Sonos to continue to not have it!

Bumping this to ask the question: given the above, normalisation by Spotify should work well if the phone is wired to Line in jacks on Sonos. 

Does it?

Bumping this to ask the question: given the above, normalisation by Spotify should work well if the phone is wired to Line in jacks on Sonos. 

Does it?

Normalisation in the Spotify native app should work, so long as the audio is rendered by that app, whether output via the headphone jack or over AirPlay. (Casting to Sonos players is different.) 

Does it?

Normalisation in the Spotify native app should work, so long as the audio is rendered by that app, whether output via the headphone jack or over AirPlay. (Casting to Sonos players is different.) 

My question is to the implementation by Spotify in that case and whether it truly does the job well. I could test via line in one of these days since I don't have AirPlay, this is just the lazy way of finding out!

If it does, I will have to consider adding a phone as a line in source on a permanent basis.

As reported in another thread, this works if the music being played on the Spotify app on the phone is sent to the player wirelessly by either bluetooth or airplay. And also will therefore work via wire to line in. 

And it works quite well, so there is a way to get this operating for those that must have it.

Upvote to Spotify and downvote to Sonos for not being able to do this. 

Any update on when we can expect volume normalization, which has been discussed and requested from Sonos for years, yet is still nowhere to be found?  This seems like a basic feature these days (iTunes had it a decade + ago), and it is still very sorely missing from Sonos’ app.  For people who, like me, have created playlist from a number of sources (streaming services, iTunes), not having volume normalization is a real pain.   Tx

Fairly new Sonos user here. This system is almost perfect, and what’s missing is volume normalization!

It’s a pain to Airplay all the time. On top of that, all the audio on my laptop is streamed to my speakers, which is not desirable when there are extra sounds I only want to hear on my internal speakers / AirPods (notifications, watching a quick YouTube video, etc).

It’s OK if I’m playing and album, as the volume is normalized across songs anyway (plus I want the dynamics in this case), but when listening to a playlist with songs from different albums (or, mind you, different streaming services), I really need to keep my hand on the volume controls.

So yeah… here’s another vote for this feature from me! 👍

Cheers

I agree that this is a serious problem.  I just spent a fortune to migrate my multiroom audio setup from being based on AppleTVs/Airplay to Sonus.  tvOS 13 ruined the ability to use the Apple platform for me and after a year of complaining I finally gave up. Overall Sonos has been significantly better and much more reliable.  Except for volume normalization! 

I am mostly streaming my own mp3’s from a media server, so I don’t really care about the Spotify stuff.  iTunes is able to normalize with software without intense processing demands, so I’m not sure why Sonos won’t do it.  mp3 files actually have a field for changing volume in the metadata, and mp3gain is a software that analyzes the loudness of the track and sets this field to a normalized level of your choosing in a non-destructive fashion.  I have done this for all of my files, but apparently Sonus doesn’t read this with their player.  I wish they would! 

Badge

Any updates on volume normalization? I can see this request is at least 2 years old. This feature would be great! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

So I have updated all my Sonos to S2. Is volume normalization available for my local music library? I don't so streaming services so I just need it for my library.

Can someone from Sonos please give an update on this? Clearly the technology is there if you can use a workaround with Airplay! It’s embarrassing that you can have a better streaming experience with a low end product than Sonos. Streaming music is the primary function of Sonos and it is failing!

volume normalization is definitively on top of my wish list. why not at least make this work for integrations that internally already support this like spotify does? at least for me that would already do the trick.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just found this after scaring the s**t out of my family when an old CD rip from the 90’s segued into a CD released more recently.

The lack of SOME kind of volume leveling within the SONOS playback is, at this point, a ridiculous oversight.  With major streaming platforms offering SOMETHING  (Spotify->Volume Normalization, Apple Music->Sound Check) and for those who care enough to support a standard, the ReplayGain tag, there doesn’t seem to be an excuse for not leveling playback volume for those who want it.

And worse than having not implemented this seemingly standard functionality is the fact that SONOS has ignored a two-year old thread with nothing but the old go-to: “We’ll tell the programmers about your revolutionary idea.” It’s embarrassing to SONOS as a “leader” in audio hardware and simply infuriating to anyone who has sunk multiple thousands of dollars into it.