Skip to main content

I can’t figure out the simple task of waking up to my whole home sonos audio system.  It seems like if anyone watches TV or any device ungroups, which obviously both happen daily in normal use, I can’t get an alarm from all speakers.  Also, I obviously need to set different speakers to different volumes for an alarm.  Simple stuff, what am I not seeing?

There isn’t currently a feature to set the same alarm for all rooms without having to manually group all rooms and adjust the volume each night in the Sonos app. You could set an alarm at the same time for each speaker, but people have reported mixed results with the alarm not being in sync across all rooms.

But if you have an iOS device, you can use the Soro app along with Apple’s Shortcuts to create an automation or shortcut that will automatically group all speakers and set the volume at a certain time, by a single tap, or by using Siri. Then in the Sonos app you would just set one alarm on one speaker and select “Include Grouped Rooms” and you are good to go.

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/soro-for-sonos/id1550457805

This possibly requires too much technical know-how, but it may be useful to some: this kind of thing is easy with SoCo-CLI 1].

An example automation script is shown below:

sonos <lead_speaker> party_mode : <lead_speaker> play_favourite “My Favourite” : wait 60m : <lead_speaker> stop : <lead_speaker> ungroup_all

This then needs to be run on your desired schedule using something like cron. It’s also easy to add in the steps to set specific speakers to specific volumes before playing the audio.

<1] https://github.com/avantrec/soco-cl

Pwt, excellent, thanks! This requires another always-on component for something I would expect at a bare minimum in a home audio system. …but this is neat.  Question.  The speakers have a bash or some Linux shell? Is this something that could be setup in cron on one of the speakers??

I would choose to go with @GuitarSuperstar suggestion above. It’s really easy to do these things using the Soro App. The app is simple to use within iOS shortcuts.

With the Soro App, it would likely look something similar to this (see attached shortcut image - quickly cobbled together example) and you can just add the shortcut to a personal HomeKit automation schedule to run at whatever time you choose. It takes just a minute, or two, to create the shortcut - it’s literally ‘drag’n’drop’.

Pwt, excellent, thanks! This requires another always-on component for something I would expect at a bare minimum in a home audio system. …but this is neat.  Question.  The speakers have a bash or some Linux shell? Is this something that could be setup in cron on one of the speakers??

No, there’s no direct shell access to the Sonos devices (SoCo-CLI is about the closest you can get to a device shell). I just use a Raspberry Pi for automation, which also runs a ton of other Sonos and non-Sonos stuff.

FWIW, there are lots of assertions along the lines of “Sonos should do X, at a bare minimum.” The problem is that there’s a large range of ‘X’ ...

I would choose to go with @GuitarSuperstar suggestion above. It’s really easy to do these things using the Soro App. The app is simple to use within iOS shortcuts.

Soro does look very nice -- surprised I haven’t heard about it before. Looks like a great solution if you use Apple devices and have something that can act as a HomeKit hub (suitable iPad, HomePod, or AppleTV).