Skip to main content
Absolutely feb up to the back teeth with all the updates and having to continually reset my router of toggle WiFi to get the app connected to my system nalways used to be fine until all the updates I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve updated in the last 6 months
Turn off automatic updates in your app store for your mobile devices. Then on the Sonos app in Settings > Advanced Settings, turn off "check for updates". Poof! No more updates.
Works on a mobile thingy yes, but the pc program version ... U don't have a choise. And why ... beside of showing who's the boss ... why doesn't the Sonos mafia come forward saying what it's all about? Offcause there must be a reason for all this. It's not a fraggin equation and some programmer didn't screw up somewhere. Screw ups aren't so efficient! They must indeed have a secret and sinister plan if you ask me.
You absolutely have a choice on the PC app. As I said, turn off "check for updates" and the PC app will never ask you to update.

As to the rest? Uhhhm, wow. "showing who's the boss"? "Sonos mafia"? "secret and sinister"?

If that is your honest opinion, one wonders why anyone would allow Sonos in the home. I know I would toss any "secret and sinister" "mafia" that is trying to "show me who's the boss" out the window and never look back.
It all started out as a simple wireless system with the option of implementing an outside internet based music source if you felt for it. And today, even just adding an extra speaker you need to be plugged in on an internet service and log onto your Sonos account ! If I was to buy a new system today I wouldn't go for Sonos, that I have learned. They made the simple complicated.
I get nervous each time an update is required. The controller on my

PC is inoperable because it won't run on Windows Vista any longer. Should It stop working on iOS 9.2, then my expensive Sonos products will be worthless to me. They should allow their products to continue working with older operating systems.
Turn off automatic updates in your app store for your mobile devices. Then on the Sonos app in Settings > Advanced Settings, turn off "check for updates". Poof! No more updates.

This only works until you want to install on a new device, or have to reset an older device but you can't get to the level software you are on the other devices because you are forced to download a newer update. Then, as soon as one device is using a newer code, all the rest of your devices are held hostage ---- your whole network is held hostage ----- until you update ALL of them. And that's just the beginning of the problems you're going to have.

So it's not poof, problem solved. It's more like poof, your problems have just started.
I, too am getting seriously fed up with the CONSTANT stream of updates and changes to the user interface. I used to love my Sonos, but now seem to spend more time swearing at it than listening to music. I control the system from a variety of devices so have to update all of them. Fof GODS SAKE I just want a simple App that is stable, reliable and doesn't keep on changing all the time. The new Android App is very puzzling and frustrating so I end up having to switch on a laptop just to change radio station etc. Unless they stop pissing around with the interface I will just give up and go back to analog.
And there are an equal number of threads asking for the "must have the latest update now or I'll ditch my Sonos for ______(insert other brand here".

There is a lot happening at the moment, what with Voice Control tweaking, New UI and preparation for Airplay2 and maybe Audible. So it's almost unavoidable. You don't have to accept an update either as suggested above.

Personally I can put up with multiple Updates for new functions. They tend to come in Bus type groups and then it will go quiet for a while. If you've been reading this forum for the last 18 months you might be praying like I do for the next update to come asap if only to stop the winging about x function not being there etc.

It's a classic "You can't please..." situation.
The new Android App is very puzzling and frustrating so I end up having to switch on a laptop just to change radio station etc.

I use the android app and find changing stations quite easy especially if you add them as favourites. Do you know how to add them?