Skip to main content

Hi all. Am I correct in thinking I could buy a usb turntable then connect it to play through my MacBook and then output via Airplay to any or all of my Sonos speakers? Or am I missing something?

Seems a better idea than a bluetooth turntable to my Move because the other speakers can't get involved. Roam sounded promising until I read that Sound Swap cannot swap a bluetooth source back to the other speakers that are on wifi.

I realise that a port or sub or 5 or connect with line in would probably be better but just trying to work with what I already own after buying a turntable. 

My old vinyl wants out of the loft!!

Hi @mdw400 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

That should work in theory, though you may have some problems. When you AirPlay from the Mac’s settings, AirPlay 1 is used, as the stream cannot be buffered. AirPlay 1 is not supported by Sonos, though it does tend to work. You may get audio interruptions.

The Bluetooth option would work with the new Roam - Sound Swap isn’t for sharing the Bluetooth stream, but the Roam will do it, as mentioned in our Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker article. Unlike AirPlay, however, Bluetooth comes with lossy compression, which a lot of people would say goes against the idea of using vinyl in the first place.

Are you about to buy the turntable, or have already? You appear to say both. As you say, our recommended method of playing from a turntable is to use Line-In directly to Sonos, but if you already have a USB turntable, I’d certainly give AirPlay a chance, though be sure to test it well before your opportunity to get a refund expires.

Thanks for your quick reply. No I haven’t actually bought a turntable yet. Still waiting on my research. 
I actually managed to get Bluetooth compatibility on the whole system by using an old bt car adapter plugged into the connect. Had full zonal function from iPhone from bt. Or obviously the Move works on its own. 
Still undecided which way to go. May chat with my man at Richer Sounds too. 
Decisions decisions. 

@mdw400 

If you have a Connect, I definitely recommend you use line-in on it for your turntable. But if you already have the Bluetooth receiver plugged into it and are happy with the sound, then a Bluetooth turntable would do nicely.

It’s just that the Connect is in a study cupboard connected to Ethernet control centre to control kitchen ceiling speakers. 
Want the turntable in the Lounge really. 
Cheers. 

Then AirPlay via your Move with a USB turntable may be the option for you - just bear in mind that you’ll have to put up with the fan noise from your MacBook while listening to records. You can always return it if it’s not to your liking. People have had mixed results with AirPlay 1 - it works, but if you leave it silent for a time you may need to re-establish the connection, which some find annoying. Again, I recommend full testing before your money-back-guarantee period for your turntable expires.

I actually have a new MacBook Air M1 arriving this week which is completely silent as it’s fanless. So that should be fine. I am confused though. I thought Apple and Sonos play together nicely now with Airplay 2. 
Thanks for your time and input btw. 
Much appreciated 

AirPlay 2 is fine but, as mentioned in my first post, when you initiate AirPlay from your Mac’s settings AirPlay 1 is used as it doesn’t require pre-buffering (which would be difficult with “live” audio). That, presumably, is how you’d get a USB turntable playing over AirPlay.

I spent a bucketload of money on the Port. Its definitely too expensive and I would not recommend it for the casual listener, but in the end I was pleased with the result: my turntable sounds fab over Sonos. Vinyl has definitely become my preferred medium.

The Port also has the added advantage of letting you bring really anything with an A/V output into Sonos. When I get out my projector I wire it into Sonos via the Port, and I play my keyboard through Sonos as well. 

Interesting. You’re not disturbed by the slight delay when playing the keyboard?